Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #1

1971 23' Safari
oakland , New Jersey
new with question

Hi, I'm a newbie with a question.i have loved motor homes and tiny houses for over 50 years, recently i was offered the opportunity to buy a 1971 safari 24' camper. It is in fair condition and seems to be all original. The owner said he wants 2500 bucks, is this something i should jump on or wait until he comes down in price...Thanks
rex113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a few zillion things that one should check on a 40+ year old trailer. There is a section on the forums of people who will come help you with that process. A full rebuild on a trailer like this often gets into the >$50K range. Initial price is not quite as big an issue in the total as how much of the plywood sub-floor has rotted out. (it could be "none at all" ...).

Next up on the list: Are you looking for a 3 to 5 year restoration project to do in your nice big barn? If so, that's very different than wanting to go camping next week. It's also quite different than trying to do the work in a 20' long / one car wide driveway. All of these are way off from shipping it out to a shop to do all the work for you. Your goals are a big part of this decision.

Is it a good price? Seems ok if it is in good shape. If it can't be put on the road in it's current condition .... not so much.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #3

1971 23' Safari
oakland , New Jersey
Thank you for your honest answer, i think i got over excited, i thought i was getting the opportunity of a lifetime.
rex113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex113 View Post
Thank you for your honest answer, i think i got over excited, i thought i was getting the opportunity of a lifetime.
Hi

Consider that this *can* be start of a really cool project. It also may be a way to get a really nice AS at a good price. Condition matters and there is no way to evaluate that without some work. To me, cosmetics are the last thing to worry about. A bit of paint and basic repair work will fix a lot of that stuff.

The bigger questions are going to take a bit of poking to answer. It *could* be that paint + tires + brakes + batteries + bearings + two dozen replacement bulbs gets it running down the road. In that case, you will not find one like it at that price for quite a while. "Fair price" does not mean "easy to find".

In a completely different direction - This is a blank canvas. It's an opportunity to do a totally custom RV "your way" from the ground up. In that case, condition of this and that ... not a big deal. Condition of the "bones" still matters though.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote