Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
New Member Saying Hello

Hi All,

Been lurking around here for a while, so thought I'd say hi. As my handle suggests, I'm from Arizona. The wife and I are looking to get into an AS, most likely a Globetrotter 25 twin. Wasn't hip on the twin at first, but I now like the additional flexibility. We're new to RVing, so don't even have a tow vehicle at this point. Big leap from nothing to a GT25, so hoping to avoid costly mistakes. I've done quite a bit of camping/RVing, but that was decades ago, so nothing is the same.

Watched all the KYD videos. Their consistent theme is start small and start where you are. Great advice, but where we are is a tent or tent trailer at most. The wife hated both, from a comfort as well as exposure perspective, so essentially where we are is nowhere! That takes us to the next advice, start small. I'd like this, but not seeing anything the wife and I can agree on. She pretty much hates anything that's not an Airstream. They all seem dark and dingy to her....that takes us to buying our second RV the first time.

As crazy as it is, we're likely going down the AS path as soon as we can secure a tow vehicle (easier said than done at this point with shortages and prices). Decided an on F250 to eliminate any of the guesswork and arguments around a 1/2 ton being capable, not capable, add this, don't add that, etc. While more costly and in much shorter supply, 3/4 to just seems the right way to get started.

We took a hard look at the 23. It would put us firmly in the 1/2 ton territory and saved us some on the cost of AS too. That said, neither of us are too keen on the layout of the 23 and feel we'd always be looking back saying we woulda, coulda, shoulda gone with the next size up, ultimately costing us more. We are both coming upon 60 years of age, so comfort is much more an issue than it was a few years back. I've been working remotely for several years, so I'd still very much like something I can comfortably work out of at least once a month and not always have to limit runs to weekends. As a matter of fact, I'll likely avoid weekends for the most part whenever possible. That's how we've arrived at the 25 foot size and 3/4 tow vehicle. It's just the two of us and we need to avoid costly mistakes.

While capable, I'm not in a position to remodel an older one. Just don't have the place to work out of to get such a project done, so looking at new or near new and the 25 seems the best balance at this point, but open to some community wisdom around the whole premise.
AZTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greeting from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Your assessments so far are quite accurate. To do a 25FB or RB, a 3/4ton truck is the best bet. A half ton truck can do it, but you will always be in marginal territory with your payload capacity.

We started 15 years ago with a 25FB. We are now at 2,200 nights of Airstream camping and 200,000 miles of Airstream towing. A number of years ago, we downsized to a 23FB. We kept it for a year and did 140 nights in it. It was nice, but didn't work well for us. The small refrigerator and the tiny black tank were the main deal breakers. We went back to a 25FB seven years ago, and never looked back.

Best wishes in your quest. Of you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We are here to help.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1772.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	394945  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
I would also look at the 27 give or take, the extra 2 ft tows the same but interior space is way different. May or may not matter to you. But you’re better off buying the second trailer first if the $$ work. Good luck with the search and welcome
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
I would also look at the 27 give or take, the extra 2 ft tows the same but interior space is way different. May or may not matter to you. But you’re better off buying the second trailer first if the $$ work. Good luck with the search and welcome
It would sure be nice if we could walk through one. The airstream dealer here has been a ghost town for months, except some older ones on consignment....would love to see the 27 compared to the 25.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
It sounds like you’ve got a great plan! Enjoy the hunt for an Airstream and for a tow vehicle!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
AZTinCan welcome, and best of luck as you work through the decision process. The number of parallels between your initial intro and our circumstance is high, almost to the point of spooky We have been at this RV life (as Airstream owners) less than a year, and we have a 25' RB twin (2015), but it is the flying cloud. Floor plan/layout I believe is identical, the finishes are certainly much nicer in the GT, along with some of the finer touches. My first comment is to whole heartedly agree and encourage you to be thinking 3/4 ton tow vehicle for a 25' or larger. I started with a 1/2 ton, I have first hand experience towing the same trailer, same hitch, etc, and the 3/4 ton is superior in nearly every way. The only clear advantages I saw to the 1/2 ton is the non-towing maneuverability and ride quality, both of those are easy to accept for me. Safety first, and the 3/4 ton is more stable, and therefore safer. Second thing is to encourage you to be open to the twin. The exterior storage is greater, and the interior aisle space makes a big difference in the "feel" of the living space once you spend any real time in the trailer (like a bad weather day). Third thing is the 25' is the smallest trailer with the larger holding tanks, not sure your style of camping, but for the wife and I, national parks is HIGH on our priority list, so the 25' is said to be the optimal size for site availability and that was a primary factor for us. Holding tanks in the 23' are notably smaller, than the 25', and all the larger trailers essentially have the same tank sizes (give or take a few gallons for the unique shape in various trailers). Sure, 27' floor plan would be even nicer, but we did not want to limit ourselves in the national park access due to size. Maybe it's a non-issue for you, and I don't have first hand experience there yet, but others on this forum have posted that even a 25' is a tight squeeze in some of the national parks. Finally, I am no longer working, but my wife wants to keep at it a bit longer so we have made several trips of various lengths where she works remote (from the Airstream) via cellular internet connectivity, and so far she is very happy with the space and arrangements. From time to time I have to be quiet or avoid the trailer so she can be in meetings, but we find there is plenty of options for working from within the 25'. That is not to say it is a palace, but it is certainly workable. I hope that feedback helps, I am sure others will add more ... lots of valuable input to be gained from the community at large here, many many years of experience precedes us.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Thanks 1StreamDream,

We’re definitely going with the twin. It just makes more sense for us. Great point on a better hangout when the weather may be rough and I’ll need to work. Hadn’t considered that, but totally makes sense. Yes National Parks will be of interest to us, so likely will stick with the 25. Will be getting a crew cab, although we’ll likely never take anyone in the back seat. They will serve as a large dry storage compartment should we need it. Would prefer that option over a compartmentalized bed.

Now, we just have to fight the urge to make too soon a move and wait for the right tow vehicle and trailer.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:02 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Welcome!

We also started in a tent trailer. Since then, we've been through most types, except for a class C. We're very happy with the AS and plan to keep it a long time.

We were hesitant about the twin but our experience with prior RV queens told us that was the way to go. Have never had better sleep in an RV!

I work from the road as well. That drove us to a larger trailer so I could have a place to work & spouse could still sit & lounge if weather was bad. Went back & forth between 28 & 30' but went with larger one in case we decide to full-time again. Back in '18 when we bought, the dealer had pretty much every size in stock so we were able to walk back & forth between trailers to compare. We were also downsizing from a Class A MH, so all the AS models didn't seem too large to us.

Oure 3/4 ton RAM pulls the 30'er like it's not even there, you should find the 25 just as easy to tow. MANY, MANY threads on tow vehicle selection to read on the forums.

We also wanted to get into more state / natonal parks. Used these articles:
https://camperreport.com/best-rv-len...ational-parks/
https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-adv...-rv-size-limit
to determine that our 30'er would be OK for our purposes.

Best of luck with your search.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
We had a 2020 Int 25FBQ...loved it. We have kids, so we had to move to a 30Bunk. We only had our 25FBQ for 7 months, though for 6,000 miles it was great. Like you, we were tent camping...the heated canvas tent camping. Haven’t even looked at the tent since we started Airstreaming.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:44 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Started with tent camping when my son and daughter were into Scouting, later got an Aliner hard sided popup. Great camper, but 'she who must be obeyed' wanted a shower and proper toilet. Lucky for us our Aliner dealer became an Airstream dealer and had many units in stock for us to examine.

We settled on a 28' rear bed queen, though we originally thought the 25' model would suit us. The deciding factor was the north/south bed that could be entered from both sides. FWIW the 28' AS is nearly a foot shorter than the 27' model, so the measurement from hitch to rear bumper can be deceiving.

Though the dealers currently don't have inventory I'd encourage you to find ways to walk through the various models. Find a rally in your area and talk to the host there about checking out some of the units. We've frequently had people drop by at the larger rallies and ask to see the inside of our Airstream and are happy to do so.

We ordered our Airstream from the dealer, and ordered a Ford F250 from the local Ford dealer, so both were built to order. The truck arrived some months before the trailer, so got an opportunity to get used to driving what we called "the beast". Made a trip to Jackson Center and got to see our trailer being assembled there. Great thing to do if you can.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #11
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Yep, welcome to the AS family.....
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
AZTincan - I have a lesson learned for you but first, your post shows you've really been lurking and learning for awhile - very smart approach! I totally get why your wife won't look at anything other than an AS. I think you would be very comfortable in a 25' twin AS. I went from a 19-footer AS to a 25-footer AS and I felt like I moved into a small condo. I have the front BR twin option and while I believe I do have better views from my dinette with this option, if I had to do it over again, I'd seriously think about going with the twin rear bedroom option; only because of the tongue weight issue. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Airstreaming.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
AZTincan - I have a lesson learned for you but first, your post shows you've really been lurking and learning for awhile - very smart approach! I totally get why your wife won't look at anything other than an AS. I think you would be very comfortable in a 25' twin AS. I went from a 19-footer AS to a 25-footer AS and I felt like I moved into a small condo. I have the front BR twin option and while I believe I do have better views from my dinette with this option, if I had to do it over again, I'd seriously think about going with the twin rear bedroom option; only because of the tongue weight issue. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Airstreaming.
Thanks PatLee, doing my best to avoid the obvious mistakes. Re the rear bed, isn't the front where you want/need the weight for better towing?
Old 05-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Welcome and wish you the best.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:36 PM   #15
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You are right on. We have made costly mistakes going too small. That is partly why I’m on my fourth Airstream, 2018 25 RBQ. You are also correct on the 3/4 ton TV. Airstreams don’t have a ton of storage so your truck will hold things like a generator or porta tank among other things. The extra payload and room are a must for us. Lastly get the solar package and the awning package. You will love both living in Arizona.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00D236D3-AB7C-44D6-950F-0251670D9D5C.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	395018
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTinCan View Post
Thanks PatLee, doing my best to avoid the obvious mistakes. Re the rear bed, isn't the front where you want/need the weight for better towing?
AZTinCan, you are generally correct, load the tongue, to minimize the chance of dangerous trailer sway, and no heavy items in the rear of the trailer when towing, but regarding the rear bed floor plan, if you are set on the GT new (current model year), that looks like its only available in the 25' as a FB layout. The international, or the flying cloud show the RB option for a 25, but not the GT. I don't know how many prior model years hold to that, but it is common for Airstream to reduce the number of available floor plans as you move up the trim line. I think older GT will be the same (only FB in the 25') but I don't know that for sure, maybe others on the forum might know.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:58 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
AZTinCan, you are generally correct, load the tongue, to minimize the chance of dangerous trailer sway, and no heavy items in the rear of the trailer when towing, but regarding the rear bed floor plan, if you are set on the GT new (current model year), that looks like its only available in the 25' as a FB layout. The international, or the flying cloud show the RB option for a 25, but not the GT. I don't know how many prior model years hold to that, but it is common for Airstream to reduce the number of available floor plans as you move up the trim line. I think older GT will be the same (only FB in the 25') but I don't know that for sure, maybe others on the forum might know.
FB is the only option on the GT. Was asking mainly because of the thought process of moving the beds to the rear. More loading ability in front with the RB?
Old 05-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
well ... this is wild speculation on my part, I truly have no basis to suggest any particular reason, but it strikes me that they are trying to appeal to as many consumers as possible, and some (like me) genuinely prefer the bedroom in the rear, and I don't think it really is driven by balance. Airstream found a way to offer both, with reasonably good balance and stability, so they offer them. Why the don't offer it all the way up the line, is probably due to other business limitations (there is a finite limit to factory capacity/supply lines, manufacturing assembly processes, etc). Anyhow...I have no basis to assert any of that, its just my own theory from the cheap seats.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
AZTinCan. Mine is a 27' Globetrotter FB. Like it just fine. Did not know that they no longer make this model. Probably due to shortage of parts etc.

Will be down your way for the winter in Yuma.. You mite want to search for a used unit and save a few dollars and bugs worked out.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
You’re logic is sound!

AZTinCan, great introduction and explanation of your analysis so far.

We did what you mentioned and bought a 23’ Flying Cloud and just as you said, found the layout didn’t work for us. We traded for a 27’ Globetrotter because we didn’t want to make the “coulda, woulda, shoulda” mistake again. The extra foot in the galley, another in the wardrobe and bedroom is well worth it. Plus, the pullout microwave plus gas oven work for us. You can’t get both in a 25’.

You mentioned not having a chance to walk through one which is a shame. Our dealer has large amount of trailers on the lot (none are for sale). They’re logic is people need to see them in person to decide.

You might consider checking out the YouTube videos from Colonial by Patrick Botticelli. He does an excellent job going over all the features of each size trailer. I watch them just to keep up with what’s new.

We did go with a 3/4 ton after trying a 1/2 ton. You won’t regret the additional capacity.

Good luck with your decision!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote