Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2021, 07:50 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick tracy View Post
I have a 2021 international 27FBT, we love it. came from a 23FBQ and knew we wanted the extra wardrobe and pantry storage and of course the living space.

get a F350 1 ton if you travel heavy, skip the 3/4 ton. 1 ton has way more capacity than the 3/4.
With all this talk about the 27, I'm starting to second guess our current stance on the 25!

The 3/4 ton is already stiffer and tougher to drive than a 1/2. Not sure I want to stiffen it up even more or it won't be any fun at all as a daily driver. I get what you're saying though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack View Post
A feeling we have that makes no sense: in the 25’ we still have a feeling of “camping” which departs in anything larger...

Our tow rig is a Tundra which works very well for us in all conditions.
My wife has said the same about the feeling of camping being lost in larger than 25. One reason we landed there.

Lots of folks towing with a 1/2 ton. I've read of many who are towing successfully in an SUV with even less capacity. Others have said the 1/2 ton will pull fine. I've seen enough videos to be convinced of this. Too often though there are white knuckle experiences stated with cross winds, braking and stopping. I have no TV at this point, so while I've been wanting a Tundra or F150 for the past three cars, the right choice may well be to just go larger out of the gate and skip the white knuckle experience.

Not a ton of hills in these parts, but I don't plan to camp 30 minutes from my house all the time. There are a couple of spots I can clearly visualize really preferring the engine braking capacity of a diesel Flagstaff to Phoenix. Lots of RVs and semis get into trouble on that section and flip or go off the edge. Sharp turns, steep grade and cross winds are pretty much a guarantee. I can think of another going out to San Diego and another heading NW after San Bernardino. In fact, this was the exact spot that a relative pulling a 25ft AS soiled his drawers, then immediately traded his F150 for a 250. He said it was just way too white knuckled and he never wanted to do it again.

With that, while I would much prefer a more manageable sized TV I can actually fit in my garage, and with near zero towing experience, I'd better stick with a larger truck. The difference between the two out of the gate is $10k, if I get the diesel and about the same if a gasser. Diesel will allow us pull through access to Loves and TA where the big boys go. If nothing else, not having to contend with "not made for RV" gas stations is enough to make the extra $10k well worth the spend!

As mentioned in my opening, the KYD folks keep saying start where you are and start small....well, we're nowhere applicable to RVing and the small part...I just can't see ourselves doing much more than weekend trips with anything smaller. Certainly would restrict just going somewhere and working out of the AS, if for nothing else the change in scenery. The up with the crowd, fighting for a spot and back down with the crowd scene would likely end our RVing dreams in two trips max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Once you get your trailer, be sure and join the Arizona airstream club. They are very active.

Steve
Wasn't aware of this. Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We had 3 different style/year 25's; twin is a good choice no matter what size you end up with= more storage inside/outside (2 more compartments), space to move around, change, make the bed, and of course, sleeping area on twin mattress's is larger; twin 34" each wide vs 60" twin. The 25' is a great size and think it is still most popular size AS.

I think your smart getting the 3/4T TV also...you never know if you will want to "upsize" from the 25 down the road! Now, quit procrastinating and go get that AS!
Kinda how we got to where we are in our decision. The procrastination part...I've always had a policy against running with the crowd. At these crazy times, everyone seems content with paying too much for their TVs due to shortages. Seems the same with the AS. Waiting for the right time has always paid off in the past, though I do have my doubts this time. With the 22s around the corner and the 21 trucks piling up, there just may be a better buying opportunity in 2-3 months...maybe...who knows in these crazy times. Well aware I may miss the boat entirely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman88188 View Post
AZTinCan

One thing I neglected to mention: Whichever rig you choose, you need two A/C units, there are many with only one and there just isn't enough BTU's for AZ in the Summer. This is a common complaint in the Southern US.

Cheers!
Outside of the costs, I see no disadvantage to including the second AC. Especially when a lot of my runs will be in the SW. Even up north can get hot enough to make the second unit worth it. I like the redundancy idea too. The units seem very fragile. Plan to be outside more than in, but sometimes you just can't get the shade you were hoping for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman88188 View Post
5. Final advice buy used in AZ, buy from an individual if you can. Avoids the high AZ taxes 8.5% sales tax plus VAT at registration. Saves thousands. I found the sweet spot for depreciation is eight years when I did my research.

Buy what suits you best. Just know what you think you want may change in a few years.

The market is so hot right now winter may be your best time to buy.

Good luck in your search!
Agreed and part of the reason for my procrastination. Things will likely change in a few months....I hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Grisott View Post
Our tow vehicle is a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited Hemi . It’s more like a luxury SUV than a truck. This is coming from a girl who never thought her favorite vehicle could be a TRUCK.
I'm hoping the same holds true with my wife as well. She's never had any appreciation for trucks and we're going from nothing to "The BEAST"!

Thanks everyone for your comments. Doing my best to reply. i've read every reply and a ton of great points. Hope to be meeting you all at some point when we begin hitting the road.
AZTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
[QUOTE=Mikebrady62;2493563]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Someone above said the 27' is 2' longer then 25'; not true...the 27' is 3' longer then 25', but is essentially the same layout for lounging and eating. The 28' however, is only 2'11" longer than the 25', so you can see the confusion..

Not to nit pick here (well I guess I am) but the 25 FB or RB is 25' 11", the 27FB is 28' and the 28RB is 27' 11". So the 2' Difference is accurate. I do appreciate the 2' feet though. Made a big difference to us.
Your correct; it's been so long since I had my 25's I forgot they were almost 26'! I see/talk with a lot of AS folks on the road who call their 27' a "28 model", so I am used to people not knowing the difference layout in the two...confusing to many. Thanks for being "nit picky"!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:47 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
rjack - I know what you mean - the 25-foot AS feels like a camper with an old-fashioned feel. Not too big and not too small, just right. Anything bigger starts to look really long to me.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:47 AM   #44
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
AZTinCan,
Sounds like you’re doing it right. We have a 25GTFB twin, and love it. It is our third AS though. I wish we would have started with it. Ha! If we wanted a queen, I would have gone with a 27 for sure.
We pull with a modified 1/2 ton, and it does great thousands and thousands of miles with no nervousness or anxiety. However, we already had the truck which was fine for our 23. If I was starting without a truck, I’d go ahead and look for a 3/4 ton. (As long as I could fit it in the garage.)
We started with tent camping, and then moved to a pop-up also. But with the kiddos all gone, we decided more comfort was in order. Our 2020 25 GT has not had any quality issues, and seems better made than our 2011 23FB was, and we didn’t really have any issues with it.
Lots of good advise from folks here. Good luck on your decisions.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:36 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
If I was starting without a truck, I’d go ahead and look for a 3/4 ton. (As long as I could fit it in the garage.)
Not sure how many can actually fit one of those beasts in the garage. I’ve measured and remeasured and with 2020 and newer, Ford lowered the F250 just enough it’ll clear by an inch overhead and only an inch clearance drone to back with standard bed and standard sized garage. While I would love to keep it out of the AZ hot sun, especially because I’m absolutely meticulous with my stuff, it sounds like a real good way to screw up and put the torque of the diesel to good use in destroying our home.

I’ve researched and researched pulling with 1/2 ton and could be convinced, but...given we have no truck and the difference in cost being minimum with a gasser, the right choice would be the one that can comfortably to it out of the gate. If I had a 1/2 ton already, I’d at least try it and see how good/bad. The beast sitting outside is going to annoy me every single day though!
AZTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:26 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
As previously posted, Ford recommends that you drive 1000 miles before towing.

We had been shopping for a diesel Ford F-350 or F-250 to tow our International 25FB. No luck finding one locally. We found the F-250 about eight hours away with payload of 2800#. Ordering is no better. Our son is still waiting for delivery of an ordered Expedition. The best advice we received was from an honest salesman who said if the current truck is good enough, then wait six months to buy or order. Our F-150 is good enough but payload (1610#) is a limiting factor requiring careful placement of gear and leaving some items at home. And sometimes you get the feeling that the trailer is driving the truck even with the ProPride hitch, although the ProPride and a couple of trips to the CAT scale significantly improved towing. Salesman also said that Ford may delay the introduction of 2022 models.

As for daily drivers, my wife far prefers the truck over her Lexus 460L sedan. The truck seats are more comfortable (especially on long trips) because your feet are mostly flat on the floor as opposed to the Lexus with feet out in front. One hour is about the limit in the Lexus before sciatica pain kicks in while she can ride/drive the truck for 15 hours. Visibility in traffic is better, meaning other drivers can see the truck better. Gas mileage is about the same. The Lexus sits in the garage. The F-150 is our daily driver now. So we’d probably keep the F-150 for that and tow with the F-350/250.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #47
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Just an FYI. My son works with the Ford truck plant in Kansas City Mo. He says they will be shut down until July.. I think it’s because of the computer chip shortage, but I’m not sure. Crazy times we are living in.

Edit. They only make F 150s in KC. Not 3/4 tons.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote