Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 10:49 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Hey TinCan- I’m in Phoenix and have a 25GTFB which we like a lot. You’re welcome to come check it out. I also have a diesel truck you can hop in and come for a drive and see how it feels. I initially pulled it with an f150 which wasn’t enjoyable at all so I traded TVs after my first year.

I just put it back in storage today but it’s coming back out and will be in my driveway 5-19 and 5-20 in preparation for a weekend at Woods Canyon lake. You and your wife are welcome to stop by and check it out. Direct message me if interested.

Good luck on your journey.
PhxTrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:34 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
You mentioned not having a chance to walk through one which is a shame. Our dealer has large amount of trailers on the lot (none are for sale). They’re logic is people need to see them in person to decide.

You might consider checking out the YouTube videos from Colonial by Patrick Botticelli. He does an excellent job going over all the features of each size trailer. I watch them just to keep up with what’s new.

We did go with a 3/4 ton after trying a 1/2 ton. You won’t regret the additional capacity.

Good luck with your decision!
It’s quite possible we would have already ordered one if our dealer was of the same mindset. We’ve watched every last video we’ve been able to find. We’re very familiar with the 25 as a family member has an international in that size. Still, nothing like being able to walk through several back to back. May have to look for a local meet as has been suggested already.

I’ve read tons on how the 1/2 ton can pull the 25 or better with mods and adjustments, even with adding the extra tow capacity package. It seems at that point, not only is the truck price on par with the 3/4 ton, but one is making something work. Granted, I’d enjoy driving the 1/2 ton in and out of parking lots far more than the 3/4, but some of the nimbleness of the 1/2 ton would be lost with the added package and mods, cost would be similar and would still be questionable. I’d rather just deal with the beastliness of the 3/4 and not have to second guess anything. I’ll keep the fun sedan to offset the beast.
AZTinCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:35 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxTrotter View Post
Hey TinCan- I’m in Phoenix and have a 25GTFB which we like a lot. You’re welcome to come check it out. I also have a diesel truck you can hop in and come for a drive and see how it feels. I initially pulled it with an f150 which wasn’t enjoyable at all so I traded TVs after my first year.

I just put it back in storage today but it’s coming back out and will be in my driveway 5-19 and 5-20 in preparation for a weekend at Woods Canyon lake. You and your wife are welcome to stop by and check it out. Direct message me if interested.

Good luck on your journey.
Thanks for the very generous offer. I may reach out to you with questions...
Old 05-07-2021, 08:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
AZTincan - You are correct regarding wanting weight at the tongue but the FBT option - at least in my 25-foot International Sig - is inordinately heavy - an astounding 1125 pounds. "Astounding" to me because I travel alone and light. Comparably, the RBT is several hundred pounds lighter at the tongue. But then again - when you consider that the front end has the propane tanks, the AGM batteries, the exterior storage locker, the hitch, the nightstand, the twin beds with under-bed and above-bed storage - well, it sort of makes sense that it's so tongue-heavy. Having just read the additional posts to your thread since yesterday, I see that the GT is now a FBT option only. Interesting.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Makes sense, but dang, that's "just a touch" over advertised!
Old 05-10-2021, 07:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
AZtincan,
We were in the same boat. My wife's dislike for tent camping was a huge factor. She would do it just for me but didn't really enjoy it. We had looked at SOB trailers and she was still a big NO. Once she was inside of an AS, everything changed. She is excited and enthusiastic about camping now.
Sounds like you are ready to go with a TV and have settled in on trailers. We enjoy the twins for sleeping very much (plenty of space for extra curricular activities everywhere when camping) and the extra floor space in between. Along with the additional outside storage. The 25 and 27 are VERY similar, we just like the extra space in the wardrobe and kitchen. We have never had an issue with a campsite being too small for our AS.
Welcome and enjoy what ever you decide upon!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Not ready with a TV just yet. Still looking and mostly finding overpriced junk or ghost ads, because someone snagged it before it actually posted on websites. As soon as that’s in order, the AS will be next.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
All good advice here. Twin beds definitely help in the 25-27’ plans. Really opens up the bedroom space. We did an International 25’ RBT. We really like the RB plan. And just as a side note, at least in the International 25RBT, you DO get the convection microwave AND the gas oven. Best of both worlds!
Good luck!
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Evansville , Indiana
I enjoyed reading your journey on RVing. My wife and I recently retired and are going down the same path. We ordered a 25’ AS globetrotter twin on my birthday, November 29th. By the end of December my wife said she would really like a queen bed but do don’t like where the Queen bed in located in the 25’. I looked at the weight of the 27’ globetrotter and discovered it is only 200lb heavier than the 25’. I called my dealer and talked to him about the change. He said my trailer is getting ready to go on line at the manufacture and timing was good to make this change. He added, I saved myself from coming back in a year or two from buying the 27’ later. Good luck on your new adventure and hope we see you out there sometime.
Liuna561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
25 vs 27

I have a 2021 international 27FBT, we love it. came from a 23FBQ and knew we wanted the extra wardrobe and pantry storage and of course the living space. the 25' has a slightly larger bathroom than the 27', for smaller people like my self and wife, it is fine.
Tongue weight is the same, the extra storage won the day for us.
get a F350 1 ton if you travel heavy, skip the 3/4 ton. 1 ton has way more capacity than the 3/4.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:07 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
A feeling we have that makes no sense: in the 25’ we still have a feeling of “camping” which departs in anything larger, yet there is room to “live” inside in rain, etc. Our tow rig is a Tundra which works very well for us in all conditions. We had a cab high fiberglass cover made to match the truck color AND IMPORTANTLY side access contractor doors giving full access to the bed space. It has never been objectionable to have plenty/extra capacity. Other posters have given good advice to consider.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Once you get your trailer, be sure and join the Arizona airstream club. They are very active.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:24 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We had 3 different style/year 25's; twin is a good choice no matter what size you end up with= more storage inside/outside (2 more compartments), space to move around, change, make the bed, and of course, sleeping area on twin mattress's is larger; twin 34" each wide vs 60" twin. The 25' is a great size and think it is still most popular size AS. We moved to a 28' because of the layout with separate L-couch and separate dinnete inside, not so much the extra 2'11" you get with the 28'. Someone above said the 27' is 2' longer then 25'; not true...the 27' is 3' longer then 25', but is essentially the same layout for lounging and eating. The 28' however, is only 2'11" longer than the 25', so you can see the confusion...many folks call the 27' a 28' due to it's true length...but it is only a 3' longer version" of a 25'! (make sense??) I always tell folks to visit the website to see the difference between 27' and 28' layouts...also, the FC model of the 28' gives you 2 more storage cabinets above the dinnete which are very handy indeed in the kitchen! Still, the 25' is a great choice. I think your smart getting the 3/4T TV also...you never know if you will want to "upsize" from the 25 down the road! Now, quit procrastinating and go get that AS!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
28Rb or 30RB

Hey AZtincan

Welcome to the Forum. You have questions, here is the answers as I see it.

1. Definitely 3/4 ton Diesel, made this mistake thinking my 1/2 ton was sufficient. Even with anti-sway hitch a half ton wasn't as stable.

2. We originally thought a 25 foot was a good plan. After viewing them several times at dealership decided on a 27FB.

3. What's better answer is it depends. I think the 28RB is a better layout, however we sold our 27FB in 3 hours! And we bought a 30RB Classic now we think that should have been our first move.

4. Definitely twins over queen we have two large dogs its much better.

5. Final advice buy used in AZ, buy from an individual if you can. Avoids the high AZ taxes 8.5% sales tax plus VAT at registration. Saves thousands. I found the sweet spot for depreciation is eight years when I did my research.

Buy what suits you best. Just know what you think you want may change in a few years.

The market is so hot right now winter may be your best time to buy.

Good luck in your search!
Gman88188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Private message sent

AZtincan,

Sent you a private message about touring my 27’ GT FBT in the Phoenix area.

Regards,
Steve
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Arizona you need 2 A/C Units

AZTinCan

One thing I neglected to mention: Whichever rig you choose, you need two A/C units, there are many with only one and there just isn't enough BTU's for AZ in the Summer. This is a common complaint in the Southern US.

Cheers!
Gman88188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:38 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
Congratulations on choosing the GT 25 FT twin . Beautiful floor plan. Space like a 27 or 28 with the twin set up. Great Storage with twin. You’ve done your homework. Your are Smart and informed. We have been extremely happy with our 2018 25FT FBT International serenity. Our tow vehicle is a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited Hemi . It’s more like a luxury SUV than a truck. This is coming from a girl who never thought her favorite vehicle could be a TRUCK. You’re way ahead of the game. Airstream’s are amazing. But ,The real silver lining is the people you’ll meet on this journey. Highly recommend joining the international club as well as a local club.. amazing new friends. We are members of the greater Los Angeles. Check us out on the web. Once you find your Airstream you’ll have to start thinking about a name. safe travels see you down the road neighbor.
Welcome to the community of dreamers & adventures.
#22624 The Silver Buffalo
Please don’t hesitate should you have any questions to contact my Smart husband Phillip.
phillipgrisotti@verizon.net
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:57 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gilbert , Arizona
Thanks all for the great comments. With all the crazy shortages, it’s been tough finding a TV and prices have been crazy, so while we’ll keep an eye out, the TV and subsequent AS purchase will likely be closer to the end of summer/fall timeframe. We’re open to used also, but have to have the TV first before we can get super serious in our search. Looking forward and counting the days.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:18 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
One other thing to keep in mind about planning for your tow vehicle. Mine is a Ford (250) and I custom ordered. Ford has a break in stipulation that the truck needs to be driven 1,000 miles before any towing, as part of the “break in” period. I don’t know, but I suspect other makers have a similar statement. It took me longer than I thought to accumulate those miles, so if you are thinking to purchase new, be sure to allocate time to navigate the tow vehicle break in period.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:42 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
2' 1" Difference

[QUOTE=gypsydad;2493279] Someone above said the 27' is 2' longer then 25'; not true...the 27' is 3' longer then 25', but is essentially the same layout for lounging and eating. The 28' however, is only 2'11" longer than the 25', so you can see the confusion..

Not to nit pick here (well I guess I am) but the 25 FB or RB is 25' 11", the 27FB is 28' and the 28RB is 27' 11". So the 2' Difference is accurate. I do appreciate the 2' feet though. Made a big difference to us.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote