Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 06:56 PM   #1

2019 Nest
Barrie , ON
New Flying Cloud Purchase

Hello
Can you tell me when we meet to discuss ordering Flying Cloud this week, is the price still negotiable with the inventory they way it is.
It used to be up to 20%. Anyone with recent experience in this regard.
Is there anything that we should not miss as an added option.
Im thinking back hatch and battle born batteries.
Any help is appreciated. We are purchasing in Canada.
kidzant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I don't have any purchasing discount experience to offer, but in regard to options at time of order, I am a big fan of the awning package. I got my trailer used, it did *not* have the awning package and I had it added after the fact. It does help quite a bit in keeping the trailer cool when it sits in the open sun. I also only have a single A/C unit, with 2 ceiling vent fans, we like open windows rather than running A/C, so the awning shade benefit is even more valuable to us.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
From what I've read on here most are getting little to nothing off MSRP lately. You didn't say what length trailer you're looking at, makes a big difference on the 1 or 2 AC decision. Another factor is 1 AC is 30 amp and 2 ACs is 50 amp.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
Price shop the larger dealers, like the 5 Rivet Dealers, as there are still 13-14% off MSRP options. Note that is for ordering and waiting for a 25’ International. Different models may have various % off, and of course, different dealers can offer different deals.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
La Mesa , California
We went to order an International 25FBT with hatch in May. There was no discount or negotiation room when we went to order and in fact it was slightly more expensive than we anticipated because all orders at that time were for 2022, which has a price increase. We did manage to "hopefully" avoid the 7-8+ month wait that is currently the norm here at our local dealers. There was an exact model of what we wanted on the dealers build list with expected delivery to the dealer around August 24th. That is just over 3 months after we contacted them to order. We feel fortunate to have had that opportunity. We shall see if it actually comes in on time.

As for the options, for us the hatch was the only reason we were considering a 25 ft (only available currently on the Flying Cloud and International 25 and 27 models and cost is an additional $7,500). So that might be something to consider. We also were definitely set on 2 AC's and solar. You did not say what size you were entertaining so all my info is based on a 25 or 27 footer, which with the International includes the awning package with 3 awnings which I would definitely consider adding on the Flying Cloud.
DustyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
For the first time I began inquiring about a new Airstream this year. I called two dealerships both offered discounts if I ordered but none if I chose dealer stock. Only one of them shared the discount of 10% on the phone.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
We ordered back in March on a 27 FBT and got a 10% discount. We went with the two air units, Hatch door, Solar panel/AM and convection microwave.
TexasVine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Wazbro, I’m guessing kidzant is looking at a 25 or 27 foot model, based on the hatch. He/she’s in Canada, may or may not be a Snowbird. Even down South, 2 A/C’s is a bit much for those lengths, and complicates running off a generator. (The battery upgrade suggests off the grid camping.)
Kidzant, can you tell us more about your preferred camping style? If you like to tinker, you may decide to forgo factory solar in favor of DIY. Some swear by a lift kit. Awnings are great, if not already equipped.
Even a basic FC is pretty special, if something doesn’t ring your bell as you go down the options, you probably won’t miss it.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #9

2019 Nest
Barrie , ON
Thank you everyone for the info, We will be boon docking as well as RV parks.
We will be living in the RV for 6 months of the year, in hot weather.
We are thinking after market solar, purchasing hatch and awning package. We are going for the 27 ft flying cloud.
I would like to change to battle born batteries and Michelin tires. If there is no wiggle room for negotiation on price, will they add things?
Any information is so appreciated.
kidzant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
If you are willing to drive, and are ordering from the factory(versus an on the lot purchase), there are dealers that are still providing discounts. For example, contact Woodland in MI or Colonial in NJ. Based on your location, I would also try Airstream Tampa.

We’ve ordered a 25’ FBT with solar and 1 ac. We wanted the 2 Fantastic Fans that come with 1 ac units. Awnings come with Internationals standard, but I would say they are a must for ordering on a Flying Cloud. And yes, yes, yes to the Hatch. Our Delivery is scheduled for mid-September.

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 06-24-2021, 07:49 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Having just gone through this exercise about a month ago, I can tell you that the smaller dealers are unwilling and/or unable to give any substantial discounts off MSRP as has been commonplace in the past. The main reason is that the smaller dealers don't get the allocation the Colonials, Woodland, etc get. This poses a big challenge for the smaller dealers because frankly I have 2 smaller dealers within 50 miles from me and neither could touch what the larger dealers could offer. I was quoted 14% off list from one of the larger dealers and next to nothing from the smaller dealers. In fact US Adventure RV (or whatever they call themselves today), not only would give me no more than about 1%, but also required me to turn in my unit now as a trade while I sat coachless for the entire 2021 season which was absolutely ludicrous and honestly a bit arrogant knowing there is a 7-8 mo wait for newly ordered units.

I think we will probably see a number of smaller dealers fail, consolidate or drop some lines because now more than ever before, folks who travel are many times willing to drive a bit to pick up a new RV, and if smaller shops can't/won't deal or even get much allocation, not sure the service departments can keep some smaller dealers afloat.

I know my next Airstream, if new, will prob be purchased at least 300 miles from where I live.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
Having just gone through this exercise about a month ago, I can tell you that the smaller dealers are unwilling and/or unable to give any substantial discounts off MSRP as has been commonplace in the past. The main reason is that the smaller dealers don't get the allocation the Colonials, Woodland, etc get. This poses a big challenge for the smaller dealers because frankly I have 2 smaller dealers within 50 miles from me and neither could touch what the larger dealers could offer. I was quoted 14% off list from one of the larger dealers and next to nothing from the smaller dealers. In fact US Adventure RV (or whatever they call themselves today), not only would give me no more than about 1%, but also required me to turn in my unit now as a trade while I sat coachless for the entire 2021 season which was absolutely ludicrous and honestly a bit arrogant knowing there is a 7-8 mo wait for newly ordered units.

I think we will probably see a number of smaller dealers fail, consolidate or drop some lines because now more than ever before, folks who travel are many times willing to drive a bit to pick up a new RV, and if smaller shops can't/won't deal or even get much allocation, not sure the service departments can keep some smaller dealers afloat.

I know my next Airstream, if new, will prob be purchased at least 300 miles from where I live.

Well said; and I echo this experience. I am driving 500+ miles, bypassing a smaller dealer 50 miles away. The smaller dealer wouldn’t even return my email, nor two emails from Airstream themselves. Both Woodland and Colonial where immediately responsive. No wonder they sell 120+ new units per year.

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 06-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidzant View Post
Thank you everyone for the info, We will be boon docking as well as RV parks.
We will be living in the RV for 6 months of the year, in hot weather.
We are thinking after market solar, purchasing hatch and awning package. We are going for the 27 ft flying cloud.
I would like to change to battle born batteries and Michelin tires. If there is no wiggle room for negotiation on price, will they add things?
Any information is so appreciated.
Hi

I think you will find that there is a lithium upgrade factory option. It may turn into a "stock" item when the 2022's are announced. Tire trade outs will likely cost you some money. You may do better just running the factory tires for a couple years and then swapping them out.

If you buy a trailer in the US, it probably will not have the Canadian wiring option on it. I believe there are some other fiddly differences as well. The cost of doing this and that to "upgrade" plus import into Canada may well wipe out a 10% discount.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
In fact US Adventure RV (or whatever they call themselves today), not only would give me no more than about 1%, but also required me to turn in my unit now as a trade while I sat coachless for the entire 2021 season which was absolutely ludicrous and honestly a bit arrogant knowing there is a 7-8 mo wait for newly ordered units.
That is interesting. The US Adventure RV dealer near us was just purchased by another company and a recent quote for service was almost 3 times the price from last year. I expected some increase but that was a shock.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Volente , Texas
I didn't read all the comments, but there might be an advantage to buying from the dealer that will service it, even at a higher price, to get preferential treatment if you have to take it in for warranty work. Two customers show up on the same day, but one bought from you, the other didn't. Which would YOU take care OF first?
Old 06-24-2021, 10:37 AM   #16

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Los Angeles , California
some items to consider

Hi, sounds great. If this is your first Trailer, definitely check your TV for limits. BB batteries now have a self heating line of units. If you do go that route, keep in mind you will want to upgrade the inverter, # of panels, etc.
JL_FC2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Tire trade outs will likely cost you some money. You may do better just running the factory tires for a couple years and then swapping them out.

Bob
I agree with the tires, the new Endurance tires are actually not bad (unlike the old Marathons). A few years ago someone said they were quoted the same price to upgrade to Michelin tires and rims as it would cost afterwards (no discount for Airstream keeping the new tires and rims from the trailer). Although the hatch trailers use to come with 16" Michelin tires.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:14 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
GAINESVILLE , GA
Last month we purchased a 28’ FC from Southland RV, Norcross, GA from Jesse Wheeler and he gave us app. a 10% discount. Included in that price reduction was a pair of axel lift kits and a $1,000 military discount. Jesse told the sales manager I was retired law enforcement, so they honored that instead.
Almost 2 years ago, when we started looking at a 27,’ Jesse quoted a discount somewhere in the 17/18% range.
We figured 10% was as good as it’s going to get due to the current climate.
Good hunting to you.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutboy View Post
I didn't read all the comments, but there might be an advantage to buying from the dealer that will service it, even at a higher price, to get preferential treatment if you have to take it in for warranty work. Two customers show up on the same day, but one bought from you, the other didn't. Which would YOU take care OF first?
Hi

Not all dealers are created equal when it comes to service and parts. There is an unfortunately large span between the good ones and the "other ones". I would dig a bit into the service side of things before I paid extra at a "close" dealer simply to get a better place in line. ( = we did not buy from the closest dealer).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Central , New Jersey
In March we ordered a 2022 27 foot Flying Cloud Twin from Colonial Airstream and obtained about 13-14% off MSRP with delivery scheduled for October. Considering the timing and lack of units we figured it would be as good as possible. Any units they had for sale on the lot were being sold for full MSRP, no discount.

We chose all the options available at the time including solar with AGM batteries. We were told that the factory does not add the lithium batteries, only AGM so we will use them to see how it works and can always add additional solar and lithium later. Awning package, 50 amp upgrade with two A/C and the Microwave/Convection combo. That opened up additional pantry space and we never used our current SOB camper oven. If you're planning on boondocking the propane oven might be a better way for you to go. We did not go with the hatch as our personal preference.

If you're going to be in the camper during hot weather two A/C units is the way to go IMHO. I agree with other posters as the Endurance tires are much better than the old Marathons. We have them on our other SOB camper with no problems for the past few years. We check them regularly and use our TPMS all the time.

One other thing you might want to consider, and I think it is dealer upgrade or you can do it yourself, is a lift kit. If you are planning on going off road the higher clearance may be a benefit.

Good luck with your search.
2019 GMC Sierra/Denali 2500HD Duramax L5P
GBandBONES is offline   Reply With Quote

« Discounts? | Top | EezRV »