Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I think that you will get a better feel for the problem after looking at the dent. Depending on the severity, you might be wise to accept it as is, at a discount. If you decide that you are not happy with the trailer, suggest to the dealer that he order you another, and that you are not comfortable with a repaired trailer. I strongly suggest that you do not start demanding things. The dealer should be more than happy to get you a new unit. It is not his fault that there is damage, and warranty is provided by the manufacturer, not the dealer. You did not say if you had paid for the unit, but I assume that you put a down payment on it. If all else fails, get your deposit back and buy from another dealer. By being an a** to the dealer will get you nowhere, and in the future you may need his help for repairs etc. Dealers are a lot more helpful to good customers. I've been in retail a long time and honest understanding customers get the top service. Just my thoughts!
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
"Pain and suffering"....... Seriously??

It is simple,,,, let them repair the trailer... If the repair sucks tell them that you will only accept a new replacement trailer or an order cancelation.

Save your breath on the compensation idea, they are not going to offer more than a token amount.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #23
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Duuuude! Score!!!! Take delivery with cash back and money to pay for your first road trip to Mothership!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
I would not take it. You paid for a new trailer and that is what you should get. Not a repaired trailer.

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
HiHo, I thought about the rivets. Airstream was even nice enough to send me some of the Olympic rivets to do as you suggest. I didn't want to drill the exterior skin and take a chance of having a leak. Still might. I have some aluminum so I might practice and see how that rivet looks compared to a buck rivet. At least give me something else to look at.
After thinking about this topic for a few minutes, I would still get a new undamaged trailer. I don't mind dents when I personally do them, I really dislike them when other people do them, and I have to live with them. Even if they are covered up. Just my opinion, Mike
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
New trailer.....absolutely. Make sure you compare the VINs between the two to make certain you are getting a new trailer. Dealers have nice smiles......but....
Old 08-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Duuuude! Score!!!! Take delivery with cash back and money to pay for your first road trip to Mothership!

It does not get any better than that ... demands will get you nowhere. The transport driver's company will likely stand the cost of a trip back to JC if you choose ... or pay for the repair at any other facility of your choice. See what financial incentive the dealer offers for you to keep the one that is now in stock ... decide after you gather ALL of the relevant information and see the actual dent. Everything else is premature.

Since you want a 2015, inventory is very limited and they are not rolling out very fast - to cover all of the dealers needs across the US. However, as a sold unit, you would be given priority in manufacturing. There are always folks who try to nickel and dime the dealer down to the last bit of profit ... not sure where they go for service, but I'd want to stay on an even basis with the dealer from whom I expected service. Period. After all, you are buying a new AS with at least two years of factory authorized warranty.

I am not sure where this very negative attitude towards dealers comes from, but it surfaces frequently on here ... what goes around comes around. We like our dealer and feel that we have been quite fairly treated multiple times ... but then we aren't looking to eke out that last penny or percent of discount on everything either.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #28

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Almost ten years ago now, we purchased a brand new 2005 Safari 25FB. That was Old Lucy. Somewhere along the way to the dealer, she had sustained a six inch very shallow crease in the middle of her left side.

The dealer gave us three options:

1. He would replace the entire side panel.

2. He would discount the trailer by $2,000

3. He would install a brand new Hensley Arrow hitch system at no cost to us, which was a $3,000 retail value.

After a lot of soul searching, we went with option #3 as we were considering a Hensley anyway.

We took delivery of Lucy, towed her over 120,000 miles, spent almost 1,400 nights in her, and enjoyed her thoroughly for 8 1/2 years. We always referred this damage as the "Hensley Dent".

Lucy's damage was something that we could live with.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
my choices would be:
1) order a new trailer.
2) live with the dent with the (factory) repair cost refunded.
pain and suffering? let's get real!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Having had panels replaced on two A/S's I have been OK with the repairs. Had it happened on a new pre-delivery trailer. I would tell the dealer I would accept it only if A/S factory does the repairs just as if it came off the assembly line and negotiate a discount for loss of use for the few weeks it would get to do the repair. That would be my first option, and the second would be get A/S to give the dealer a priority order replacement for this one. An unacceptable option to me would be dealer repair of the new trailer. Yes, it may get some dings at some point but they will be yours and you can decide if you want a dealer to repair them at that time. I would never let just any dealer repair the skin on an A/S. Experience counts here.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #31

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
B.S! Demand a new RV!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
New AS Damaged in Transit from Factory

Ok, so the trailer is what, about 150K?

That is a lot of money. It isn't yours till you take delivery and pull it off the lot.

There is no need to start out all adversarial with the dealer, that wont make anything better for anyone.

See what the real damage is, and if it is as they say wait and see the quality of the repair is acceptable.

If you are not satisfied, just tell them you would prefer to wait for a new trailer to be built. You hold most of the cards here.

Fwiw, I remember a thread on here where advise was given a poster not to accept a new trailer that was delivered to the dealer across salted roads, and ultimately the dealer withdrew the sale offer...

It pays to be nice, and it pays to BE COOL. If a customer is cool, so is everyone else. Sometimes profit margins are too thin to deal with a raging lunatic.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Folks,
Thanks for all the responses! Went to the dealership and checked it out. Not just a little "ding". It had a pretty large crease in the rear panel. The dealership was very professional about it. The sales person and the Service Manager went over the situation with me. The Service Manager also explained that there was two ways to repair:
1) Replace the panel using Olympic Rivets
2) do the work from the inside using Bucked Rivets

They offered to do it either way. I decided that I would not take delivery. We've waited a long time to get an Airstream and would just not be happy knowing it was damaged before delivery. The General Manager will be contacting AS tomorrow to inquire about getting a replacement trailer with priority delivery.

This was a FC 30' Twin. Wife and I checked out the others on the lot and are thinking about going with a FC 27' Twin instead. Waiting to see what they come back with on replacement before making decision.

We like the extra space of the 30' but have checked the campsites that we want to visit and the 27' would give us some more flexibility. Decisions, decisions.
The layout is similar and it's just the two of us that will be using it.

Oh by the way, the configuration of the 2015 FC 30' is different than what's shown on the AS website. It has a "J" shaped lounge and dinette instead of the sofa and pull down table shown in their materials. In addition, the AC on the 2015 is duct work instead of the units hanging off the ceiling. For a taller guy like me it provides more headroom. They've also changed from blinds yo pull down shades,

Once again, thanks for hour help. Will keep y'all informed on what we do.
Laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Is this the first Airstream ever dented during delivery. There's probably a few of us with new trailers that have been repaired and don't even know it.

Compensation above repair costs, special warranties, watch the tech do the repair - not likely.

If you're not satisfied with having them do the work, then refuse the trailer. That's the two choices.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Negotiate From A Position of Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback1 View Post

I'm kind of jittery on this. Dropped a lot of coin and do not want to find residual damage on "down the road" on something that we've waited years to afford and buy.

Thoughts? What should I check? Any questions that should be asked?
Any help much appreciated! ...

You have received the full spectrum of replies in the posts to your inquiry. Some are good and some not so much.

Before you talk further with the dealer, find out your legal rights in the case. Do you and the dealer come under the same laws in the incident (That is, are you both in the same state?)? Under the law that covers this incident, have you taken title to the unit prior to delivery? This is not to imply that you should lawyer up. Rather, when you talk with the dealer and know your legal rights, you are in a much better position to negotiate the outcome that you would most like.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
New AS Damaged in Transit from Factory

Sometimes this forum reminds me of high school when a large group of people gather around a pair and egg them on.

"Fight, fight, fight, ......."

When I was about twenty I experienced a striking revelation,,, ANYONE can be an ahole.... Such a person does not need to be special in any way.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #37
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I'm just glad I bought a 30 year old 310 turbo diesel with its own special patina. I don't have to worry about ever putting the first scratch, ding, crease or dent. As it came with all four I had to pay extra.

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
It depends on you.

At the end of the day, do what you can live with.

You know yourself, your needs, and your family's needs better than any of us.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, there have been several opinions or choices that you could make, but ultimately the choice is yours. It may have changed a bit, but at one time, lot damage of a brand new car over $500.00 turned it into a used car with full warranty. This also played on the honesty of the dealer. The dealers that I worked for would fix these cars, discount them, and park them on the used car lot. I think a factory repair or another new trailer are your only true choices. [my opinion]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The 27' is big enough for two people.

And just think of all the gas you could buy with the price difference!

I can see you enjoying that 27 footer and actually thanking the person who pranged the 30 footer.