Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #41
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
https://www.rvtravel.com/pathetic-qu...oducing-1017b/
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Boise , Idaho
RV Quality

Yes, but that article really doesn't mention AS and in the 300 comments there, only a small handful mention AS as the brand that doesn't apply to this mess. I'm sure the Airstreams coming off the line today are below their normal standard, but I have to assume it is still 100x better than the typical RV with plastic walls and toothpicks for axles.
mbronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Hop in your time machine and head back to the 1950's. You will hear folks complaining about their Airstreams. You will hear folks complaining about *all* the other brands. Pick any decade between now and then, dial it in and you will hear the same stories.

None of this is new. None of it is very exciting. It's how the RV industry has been perceived pretty much forever.

The main issue is that for some odd reason, folks focus on price. The idea of paying $300,00 for an AS trailer doesn't turn them on ... wonder why?

Before we get a lot of references to "Quality is Free" there are a boatload of papers out of Japan that very clearly say "No it's Not". Even more so on very low volume hand built gear.

Yes, they could go to three models, all with one fixed floor plan and a single color scheme. Folks seem to assume that the model they like best couldn't possibly one that gets dropped ... hmmm .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:07 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

FYI, I ordered a 30FB bunk in June 21 with an original delivery date of October 21. We were just informed the delivery date has slipped to February 22
N95556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:33 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbronto View Post
Excellent points and thank you. My TV is a F250 7.3L Gas which has a 2,100 lb tongue weight capacity and can tow 14,700lbs. I think I'm ok there, I just need to select a hitch and anti-sway system.
I'm towing a 2021 27' International with a 21 F250 (7.3L) using a Blue Ox Sway Pro installed by dealer. Very happy with the set up. The truck tows wonderfully up mountains, in the wind and on twisty mountain passes.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVine View Post
I'm towing a 2021 27' International with a 21 F250 (7.3L) using a Blue Ox Sway Pro installed by dealer. Very happy with the set up. The truck tows wonderfully up mountains, in the wind and on twisty mountain passes.
Very nice to hear that, thanks for telling me. I know AS sells the Blue Ox at the dealership and it's a great hitch. I ended up splurging and getting the ProPride and assume it will be just as competent at towing without sway or issues.
mbronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:35 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
DESERT HOT SPRINGS , California
Congratulations on your new Flying Cloud! Just weighing in that we're towing a 33' Classic behind a GMC 2500 with a pop-up camper topper using the Blue Ox Anti-Sway Weight Distribution hitch and it's performed very well, no regrets. We have driven in wind gusts, been passed by speeding semi trucks, and endured the worst bumpy roads, all the while the Blue Ox has kept our rigs stable. Our dealer installed the Blue Ox.

We have the 270 Watts solar with AGM, the Airstream package, but our first boondocking experience was a fail. Our AGMs are draining rather quickly, despite reducing power draw. We hope to upgrade to lithium soon.
tymcknobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:45 AM   #48
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
I hear you, but wait until when exactly? The kids are growing up and we already waited a year to order an RV thinking things would settle down by now...they haven't. Will it all come crashing back? Sure, but it's impossible to know when. Making a prediction is a fools' errand. Meanwhile, memories and life are passing us by. I made the conscious choice to live in the here and now, which is why I placed that order. You are probably right, I will experience issues. I will deal with them as they come, hopefully I can fix most of it myself.

Incidentally, I ordered an F250 7.3L gas TV and in the Ford forum, everyone says the same thing: bad quality issues, extreme delays, inevitable collapse of prices and demand. I also ordered a ProPride 3Pv2 WDH. That's another post, those guys at ProPride are pretty awesome.

I will say that there were many folks (like me) that in 2008 were told the market was going to completely collapse and to get out of the market. Then again when Trump was elected and once again with Biden. Yet, if you have been out of the market since 2008, you missed out on one of the best returns in a generation or more. The lesson I learned was that no one knows anything and the only thing certain is that you're getting older every day. I really am not going to let speculation of what's going to happen next drive my decisions. I hope and pray the world will calm down and things will go back to normal. But if they don't any time soon, at least I know I lived life without fear and to the fullest.
Well said!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:11 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Elkhorn , Nebraska
Quote:
I hear you, but wait until when exactly? The kids are growing up and we already waited a year to order an RV thinking things would settle down by now...they haven't. Will it all come crashing back? Sure, but it's impossible to know when. Making a prediction is a fools' errand. Meanwhile, memories and life are passing us by. I made the conscious choice to live in the here and now, which is why I placed that order. You are probably right, I will experience issues. I will deal with them as they come, hopefully I can fix most of it myself.

Incidentally, I ordered an F250 7.3L gas TV and in the Ford forum, everyone says the same thing: bad quality issues, extreme delays, inevitable collapse of prices and demand. I also ordered a ProPride 3Pv2 WDH. That's another post, those guys at ProPride are pretty awesome.

I will say that there were many folks (like me) that in 2008 were told the market was going to completely collapse and to get out of the market. Then again when Trump was elected and once again with Biden. Yet, if you have been out of the market since 2008, you missed out on one of the best returns in a generation or more. The lesson I learned was that no one knows anything and the only thing certain is that you're getting older every day. I really am not going to let speculation of what's going to happen next drive my decisions. I hope and pray the world will calm down and things will go back to normal. But if they don't any time soon, at least I know I lived life without fear and to the fullest.
Bravo! I figure that whatever the quality, the underlying chassis is strong and someone, somewhere can fix the rest with the right time and money.
jncd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:49 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
2022 20' Bambi
woodinville , Washington
Quote:

So when Airstream Adventures said they only offer 2.5% off the 2022 planned price increase, it seemed to be the best we were going to do. But I read posts on this forum and talked to some people which made me check for myself. I wrote emails and called a few different dealers. ALL Airstream Adventures dealers were on the same page - they have a universal stance of no discounts beyond 2.5%. So I only talked to other dealers. I did find a good offer from a dealer selling it for about 13% off MSRP. I took that number and shopped it around at other dealers who were willing to match it without hardly any hesitation. I ended up going with a dealer close to me who is also a 5-Rivet Exclusive Airstream dealer, so I don't think I can go wrong. I did call Airstream Adventures back with that firm written offer in hand and despite all that, they simply would not budge. Nothing! They wouldn't even consider 3% off

So I am mostly posting this to let those who are interested know - yes, indeed YOU CAN buy a new 2022 Airstream significantly under MSRP and from a reputable exclusive Airstream dealer in September 2021. It just takes a little work.
We are at Seattle and looking at upgrading to caravel/bambi 20fb, we are out growing our 16ft Bambi.

Could you please share the dealership with 13% off MSRP and dealerships willing to match? and the one you have bad experience or to avoid.

If can't exchange private message, drop lines: xd_ni@yahoo.com

Thanks
miamipanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #51
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamipanther View Post
We are at Seattle and looking at upgrading to caravel/bambi 20fb, we are out growing our 16ft Bambi.

Could you please share the dealership with 13% off MSRP and dealerships willing to match? and the one you have bad experience or to avoid.

If can't exchange private message, drop lines: xd_ni@yahoo.com

Thanks
Hi

Before you start shopping price, work out what trailer you want to buy. There are a number of very similar sized models in the 19 to 23' range. Get a look in person at as many as you can. There is no way to really figure this out from internet data. You will be waiting a long time for delivery, spending a bit more time up front is time well spent.

Bob
Old 09-15-2021, 11:00 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
2022 20' Bambi
woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Before you start shopping price, work out what trailer you want to buy. There are a number of very similar sized models in the 19 to 23' range. Get a look in person at as many as you can. There is no way to really figure this out from internet data. You will be waiting a long time for delivery, spending a bit more time up front is time well spent.

Bob
Hi, Bob:

Thanks for your advise and totally agree with you. We actually stopped by airstream dealer last week and stepped in various models.

We have been with our 16ft bambi for almost 10 years, we absolutely love it. And now we are thinking take long trip, or full time for a couple of years one day. We are looking a dry/wet bath, and bit more space on kitchen would be a huge plus for wife, prefer SUV than trucks, so we are looking for the smallest trailer to meet our need, 20ft seems a sweat spot for us.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #53
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamipanther View Post
Hi, Bob:

Thanks for your advise and totally agree with you. We actually stopped by airstream dealer last week and stepped in various models.

We have been with our 16ft bambi for almost 10 years, we absolutely love it. And now we are thinking take long trip, or full time for a couple of years one day. We are looking a dry/wet bath, and bit more space on kitchen would be a huge plus for wife, prefer SUV than trucks, so we are looking for the smallest trailer to meet our need, 20ft seems a sweat spot for us.
Hi

Based on the web data, the 22' Bambi / Caravel and 20' both come in at 5,000 pounds. The 23 FB and 23CB Flying Clouds are at 6,000. One can debate how *well* this or that SUV does at 6,000 pounds, but there are some that are rated even higher.

Yes, it quickly gets into payload and on and on ...

If 20' works and the larger trailers are "not needed" then go for it !!!

Bob
Old 09-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
2022 20' Bambi
woodinville , Washington
Smile

Quote:
Hi

Based on the web data, the 22' Bambi / Caravel and 20' both come in at 5,000 pounds. The 23 FB and 23CB Flying Clouds are at 6,000. One can debate how *well* this or that SUV does at 6,000 pounds, but there are some that are rated even higher.

Bob
That's right, there are actually many options if go up to 23, it opens Flying clouds, the bulk bed option with 23 is also attempting.

We have 12 X5 with 6000 tow capacity, and may get new one in the future with 7000 tow capacity, 5000-6000 should still work. X5 tow the 16 bambi perfectly, this setup is ideal.

While going up with longer trailer, we will certainly appreciate roomy interior, but may also miss a bit of the agile of driving, easy backup, camping site limitation etc.

We are thinking if we could manage pretty well and felt happy with family 4 (two boys) in the tiny 16 bambi, the 20 FB might be all we "needed", BTW, the kitchen area in 20FB is larger than longer airstream model like 23; While kids go to college one day, if we do the full time RV, only 2 persons in updated 20 FB, we should be able to manage it. my wife will be happy with that kitchen, and that could make me happy too
Old 09-15-2021, 11:35 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Hi

Bob
We had our 23' FB FC for 4 years and over 60,000 miles, including a 96-day trip to Newfoundland and other lengthy trips to Denali and the Everglades. We pulled it very comfortably and safely with our Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 L EcoDiesel in 45 states. We fine the tuned weight distribution (Equalizer) as needed using CAT scales. That is the key, assuming the TV specs are appropriate. Biggest problem was payload and storage space.

Do the math and your research. Ignore the flaming on the web sites and stay focused on sound and reliable technical data.

But we do prefer our next / current rig - a 25 RBT and a F-150 with 3.0 L EcoBoost engine. And we have used that full time now for 10 months. It allows much greater ease of packing and comfort for longer excursions. But on the road both rigs were equally safe and comfortable.

Best wishes with your research and decision!
Old 09-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #56
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
[QUOTE=miamipanther;2537855]That's right, there are actually many options if go up to 23, it opens Flying clouds, the bulk bed option with 23 is also attempting.

We have 12 X5 with 6000 tow capacity, and may get new one in the future with 7000 tow capacity, 5000-6000 should still work. X5 tow the 16 bambi perfectly, this setup is ideal.

While going up with longer trailer, we will certainly appreciate roomy interior, but may also miss a bit of the agile of driving, easy backup, camping site limitation etc.

....../QUOTE]

Hi

Most folks ( me included ) find a longer trailer easier to back up than a short one. The further the distance from hitch to trailer axle, the less it responds to small steering adjustments.

Even with a 30', we have yet to find anyplace we could not go due to size limits. We might camp "over there" instead of "over here" but we still got to the destination and had a good time. I would not worry a lot about 20 vs 23' ruling you out of this or that camping trip.

Again, get what makes sense to you. If smaller works, that's great. My only concern here is that some folks get overly worried about some things.

Bob
Old 09-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
That’s correct. I also wish the Airsteam had a generator “spot” and was wired in without a bunch of mods, but us Boondockers need to carry a generator in the truck.

Mine is 2600 watts on fuel ⛽️ and 2400 on propane. Enormous to run 1 of the 2 AC units all day and other things without trouble and (while still bulky) I can still lift it and out of truck bed by myself.

Traded in a 27' Globetrotter and then a 20' Basecamp X to go with a 2023 Interstate X
AirParkOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #58
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirParkOnly View Post
....... I also wish the Airsteam had a generator “spot” and was wired in without a bunch of mods, but us Boondockers need to carry a generator in the truck.

Hi

There really isn't much "spare room" in an AS trailer. If you are looking for more of this or that, you move up to a 5th wheel. This has been true for a very long time.

With solar on the roof, we have yet to run out of power before the water tanks had us "heading back to civilization".

Bob
Old 09-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Ft Worth , Texas
Hello I don’t know if I’m in the right form new to the site and only two days into ownership of my airstream sprinter interstate
I wanted to know if anyone out there has slept in the bed which is directly above the generator and the propane and felt the rumbling underneath? I just wonder how safe it is? I am staying at a friends and staying in my airstream and I’m using my generator all night it’s just so loud. Wondering if it’s just because I have a 2018 and it’s not brand new or this is just the way they are. Any comments would be greatly appreciated
Goldenslacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:14 AM   #60
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenslacks View Post
Hello I don’t know if I’m in the right form new to the site and only two days into ownership of my airstream sprinter interstate
I wanted to know if anyone out there has slept in the bed which is directly above the generator and the propane and felt the rumbling underneath? I just wonder how safe it is? I am staying at a friends and staying in my airstream and I’m using my generator all night it’s just so loud. Wondering if it’s just because I have a 2018 and it’s not brand new or this is just the way they are. Any comments would be greatly appreciated
Hi

Welcome !!!!

The generator in the 2018 Interstates is a bit famous for being loud. There is a newer model out that should be less noisy. Some folks have discussed swapping out the old for the new.

Safety wise, you should be ok running the beast overnight.

For sleeping, you are far better off coming up with another source of power. That's tough if you are running the A/C all night ( the A/C is not exactly quiet either ....). For anything other than the A/C there should be a reasonable alternative ....

Bob