Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
New Airstream Check List/Perks?

Hi,

I've just about decided to buy a brand new 2019 Sport 22FB! Numbers all work.

Salesman strikes me as a little lackadaisical though. For instance, When I ask what sort of battery it comes with he says "yes we supply a battery". I had to read the brochure to determine it comes with bed spread and pillows and a rear view monitor. Salesman was 100% clueless and said I had to buy the monitor for the rear view camera, no clue on how they connect and never pointed it out in the first place! The guy in parts explained how it's a complete system installed.

It's from a major dealer so I'm hoping once I go to pick up it is with a tech who KNOWS what's supposed to work and what's included. Or will it be said salesman?

So should I demand to go over it with a fine tooth comb and demand to see it all working and all extras in place before I sign any papers?

What sort of perks did you get with your brand new Airstream? I'm offered $25 gift certificate, a night at a KOA and 10 nights at a 1000 Trails.

They are providing an Equalizer or Blue Ox hitch and Prodigy brake controller; all installed and adjusted.

But again I'm more concerned about checking things work before final deal but salesman wants to hustle me over to the FO....

I don't want to make silly demands but I'm spending a lot of money and want to feel fulfilled not suspicious when it's all said and done!

Thanks!

Rounder44

aka

Warren
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
New Airstream Check List/Perks?

Make sure all the perks are in writing on your contract.
You have the right to a thorough Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) before you take delivery. You have an absolute right to see that everything is working, or on a punch list with a commitment to get it all fixed on your schedule.
Clueless Sales Droids are par for the course. Do your homework on this site. Search for PDI checklists on the site, insist on seeing everything, and take no crap in return. It’s your money, and you do not have to spend it unless you are satisfied.
My usual technique is to send my DW in to do negotiations and inspections. She is legendary at a couple car dealers. Millennia of ancestors expert at haggling back her up.

Don’t be afraid to walk away if you are unhappy with how you are being treated.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Be nice - AS sales people are human beings too. But a good business attitude does seem appropriate.

So, yes. You will get a full function walk through at pickup. It usually feels like you are getting information through a full flow fire hose, but it's easier to assimilate what you are hearing if you are familiar with a majority of the information and just need to see system details hands on.

As suggested above, search for the check list with the blue box in the upper right corner of the page and study what folks have posted. Then watch the videos on U-tube for your model to get some background on it.

Get the Blue Ox with 550# spring bars if you go with the 22 Sport. If you move up to a 23FB, get the 750# spring bars. Do not get the Equal-i-zer, because the bars are too stiff for an Airstream. Best hitch is a Propride or Hensley. The Cub Hensley is $1500-1800. The heavier duty Arrow is another $1K more. The Propride is around $2500. There is no sway with these two designs. Read the comparisons. Yes, they are worth the price. No, you do not absolutely have to buy one.

You will be offered the opportunity to purchase Nano-seal for the trailer and an extended warranty - search on both for the background.

Most trailers are delivered with sewer hose, support bridge, water hose, external and/or internal water filters, a 120volt shore power cord, some tank treatment, some leveling blocks (Legos) and maybe a floor mat. Ask your sales person what is included in the startup kit so you don't purchase redundant items.,

Search for threads that discuss startup gear lists. Helps to know what might be of use.

A set of fuses, some tools, and such all help.

Some folks spend a night at the dealer or at a close campground with full hookup to test all the systems and practice how to use them.

I would not install the internal water filter. It just adds to the number of leak points. Use an external filter. Also get an adjustable water pressure regulator and set it to about 40 psi. Then if a leak develops, not as much water will escape. Also get a metal 90 degree adapter for the shore water. That takes the stress off the water bulkhead fitting by letting the hose hang straight down.

Lots to study before the coach gets here.

Towing is not like solo driving. Slow down 10-20mph, keep fully focused on attentive driving. Practice a lot. Plan several shake down trips to build expertise and confidence.

Keep the sales person's cell phone number and get one for the service person too. Smile, we are looking for you. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, your new Airstream will come from the factory with:
Interstate group 24 Marine deep cycle battery.
Removable shore power cord.
Fitting adapter for the sewer slinky--not a hose.
120v Electrical polarity tester.
Door mat.
Awning rod.
Stabilizer crank handle.
Television and remote.
Radio/CD/DVD player and remote. When the radio turns itself on when you turn on the 12v, remove the faceplate until you are ready to deal with it.
2 20 pound LP gas bottles and a metal cover.
Wireless rear observation camera and monitor.
Adapter hose for an outdoor grill.
2 pillows for the bed.
Bedspread.
Accent pillows.
1 pack of toilet water treatment.
Sink covers.

Anything more than that is a gift from the dealer. Anything less than that, ask your salesman where the missing stuff is.
New Airstreams do not come with water filtration systems.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Congratulations Warren!

Most likely the salesman will be delivering the trailer to you with a standard walkthrough that you will forget by the time you drive off. Sounds like your salesman is not very experienced and that I would be wary of. He may give you miss-information that may result in a bad experience later. If you question something he says, write it down and bring it up in a thread here.

My wife and I are taking delivery of our new Classic (will be born tomorrow) mid-September. We have rented a campground space 3/4 of a mile from the dealership (I got a site next to our salesman's AS, something you probably don't want to do - of course, he probably doesn't own one). We are not going anywhere until we test all the systems and expect to be there a week and a half.

While the salesman is doing his thing, you can walk around and look for anything out of order. Look for dents, missing rivets, door closing, window operation, and many other things on one of the delivery lists you can get here. Spend all day if you want. We spent 2 hours with our first trailer purchase. That is not long enough to check everything. Make sure your trailer has shore power during delivery. They know if it is too hot in the trailer, you will be on your way sooner. Have them hook it up!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:18 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Don’t hand over the check until everything is working properly. Go back seven times if you have to, but once they have your money they no longer have any incentive to make you happy.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
Renassiance man

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Simi valley , California
Check out

A good idea is to spend a night in the trailer on the dealers lot!!! Don’t drive off the lot until everything works correctly, most states define “taking delivery” as when you drive off the dealers lot. We have all heard the horror stories of trying to get service and tweaks done from the dealer following dealivery, naturally the priority even for a good dealership is to service trailers that have not been delivered. I have purchased multiple trailers from Colonial in NJ with great satisfaction and attention to detail by following the advice above. They replaced several defective components instead of waiting for replacement parts to arrive and be installed later. Keep in mind if you buy a car you can take it to any of that marquee’s dealers for warranty service or repairs but with a Airstream you are limited by who can service it.
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
San Antonio , Texas
Question Equal-i-zer too stiff for airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Do not get the Equal-i-zer, because the bars are too stiff for an Airstream.
This is the first I’ve heard about this (new owner - 1 month). I purchased an Equal-i-zer with another trailer and just transferred it to the 2015 28’ Serenity that we bought last month. Neither the sales person nor the service person said anything about it, but the service guy showed me how to put up the awning incorrectly, so my confidence in his abilities is lacking.

Can someone expound on a bit? Do I need to worry?
CycoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
A good idea is to spend a night in the trailer on the dealers lot!!!

That's one great thing they have a KOA on premises and offer a free night!

Thanks,

R44

aka

W
Old 09-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
CM - You have not heard of it, because the dealer sells them and has been selling them for a long time. It is a simple hitch to use and does not hang as low as others. Consequently, the dealer does not get many complaints if the initial setup is correctly adjusted. If you have this hitch and are happy with it, take extra care when transitioning road surface variations like speed bumps and driveway entrances. Slow down when the highway is rough. Keep your eyes open for sheared rivets and loose hardware. It is not a death sentence, just not the best for an AS.

Note, that many other hitches have tapered spring bars that transfer weight, but also bend to dampen the shock that is transferred to the trailer.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
I bought a 22 earlier in the year.

I was fortunate to have a salesman who was also an airstream owner and had grown up Airstreaming with his family so he was very knowledgeable.

That said, a different guy, technician gave me a very thorough walk through and then they had me I spend the night at the dealership trying out all the systems.

The next day the staff circled back to answer questions and make sure I was confident and ready to set out on my own. Both the salesman and the tech gave me their numbers so I could text them if I had any other questions or issues on my trip home.

Hope that helps.
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #12

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
So sorry you are having problems with your salesman. Henry, ours, was wonderful. On our third or fourth completely no pressure visit while just chatting in the trailer I heard a fan come on, he saw my puzzled look and explained what it was. Before we bought we had even gone over how to manually extend and put away the awning, of course the powered one had been explained also.
The differences in hitches were explained, but for some reason they didn't throw in a brake controller. The FO worked out a financing package that just blew me away. Didn't know that bank even did RV financing let alone at that interest rate.

Now the service dept. has been fantastic, even to the point of saying we saw this and fixed it also. We had a leak problem and had to bring it in several times, they would call apologetically after a rain to see how it faired.

After our first few trips Henry and I spoke at length about how the trailer worked, both what I learned and tips ftom him.

I whole heartedly recommend Bay Area Airstream in Fairfield, Ca. The whole place has been wonderful.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
CM If you have this hitch and are happy with it, take extra care when transitioning road surface variations like speed bumps and driveway entrances. Slow down when the highway is rough. Keep your eyes open for sheared rivets and loose hardware. It is not a death sentence, just not the best for an AS.

Note, that many other hitches have tapered spring bars that transfer weight, but also bend to dampen the shock that is transferred to the trailer.

Travel safe. Pat
OK...

Now you got me "concerned"
Sheared rivets?! Good grief!

A different AS dealer pushed Blue Ox pretty hard but again if thats what they have deals on it's the "best" ...right?

I've already dipped a toe into the hitch debates here and see a hot topic! But it seems to me there are 2 kinds; those as above and the high $$ ProPride types. People love or hate alternatively so impossible to get any real feed back....

I was told Equalizer is easier to hook up though.......

Thanks,

R44

aka

W
Old 09-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Warren....

I would recomend that you go get a surveyer... they have such a person.. who surveys the RV and gives you a report of how, what works etc... if the dealer won't take you by the hand and lead you down the operation of your trailer...

The survey person cost about 800 bux in most cases.... and they will check out the trailer operation TOTALLY... so you can sit back and make sure everything is working as advertised...

They also will list out anything that is a option that is on the trailer.. and what it comes with...

You can have this done BEFORE you sign off the check for the dealer... as we have found that once you write the check... before the ink is dry.. the dealer is already at the bank cashing it... and anything after that... becomes a...' who are you' and 'we'll get to that on the second tuesday of next week... ' kinda thing...

You then take the survey to the dealer.. and tell them that if they want to complete the deal... (as you have put a deposit down to hold the trailer until the tranaction is completed to EVERYONES satafaction... ) he doesn't get paid the final until repairs or fixing it is doen.... this gives him a incentive to finish the deal...

And.. most of the time the surveyer... will note the defecency... and if the dealer is to fix it.. will come back and finish the survey to insure that it is operating properly...

Most of these surveyers have been in the RV business and know systems like the back of their hand... so they know what antics the dealers will try... and they work for you so you get what you pay for...

Its not a case of being hard nosed.. but now is the time to insure that the trailer is the factory advertised and works without spending your time... going back and forth to get things fixed...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
OK...

I was told Equalizer is easier to hook up though.......

W
One word REESE....

they are one of the oldest simple and best equalizer sway control hitch around... lots of people go looking for the latest gadget... and get sold on star dust...

REESE is dependable and been around for years... they wouldn't have if they were not any good...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Don’t hand over the check until everything is working properly. Go back seven times if you have to, but once they have your money they no longer have any incentive to make you happy.
Spoke with dealer this morning about a thorough walk through and he said AFTER I pay and sign the papers they take it to the shop for ~4 days and completely check, clean and adjust everything. Check for leaks and electrical etc then walk me through it.

I guess admitting it's not ready but that makes sense. You can't have the battery installed while on the lot and tanks may not be filled.... Seems like it would be near impossible to do more than kick tires and slam doors till road ready..... Even if shore power worked that's no guarantee battery circuits do....

Oh yea and then I camp out right there and get shown how it all works etc..

I'm 99.9% there! Trying to shave 1% more off price to come in at monthly budget! I'm getting hammered on storage and insurance or I'd be there!

Thanks,

R44
Old 09-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycoMike View Post
This is the first I’ve heard about this (new owner - 1 month). I purchased an Equal-i-zer with another trailer and just transferred it to the 2015 28’ Serenity that we bought last month. Neither the sales person nor the service person said anything about it, but the service guy showed me how to put up the awning incorrectly, so my confidence in his abilities is lacking.

Everyone has an opinion, I have an Equalizer works fine, I would go with what you Airstream dealer recommends. BTW Equalizer has different spring bars depending on the size/ weigh of the trailer.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #18
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Glad you found this forum before you actually purchased because now you will be better prepared when you go in for delivery.
Side note: every one here as their own opinion on WD/anit-sway hitches, do your own research and decide for yourself. For me that was a Hensley but you make your own choice.
Take your check list, video the walk through, make notes. Compare dealers and service departments.
AS’s are not perfect but at delivery everything should be close.
Enjoy.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #19
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Your walk through should take MINIMUM two hours. Anything less, you miss something.

Open/Close everything that can Open/Close. Turn ON/OFF everything that can be turned ON/OFF.

Slam a few things to make sure it doesn't come apart.

If you've owned one, maybe you can do it in 1.5hrs, but if it's your first time, no way you can do it in less than two hours to do it properly.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycoMike View Post

The Equal-i-zer is as good as any. But you need to match the bar rating with the trailer and the tv....ie the stouter the tv the lower the bar rating. Check some of the old forum entries by Andy at Inland RV.