Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #1

Doraville , Georgia
Need help with first Purchase

Hi!
We are super newbies when it comes to the world of Airstreams. As I am sure you can relate to we are super excited to purchase our first trailer. I have woodworking skills and have done some framing, plumbing and bit of electrical. We are hoping to find a vintage trailer and make it our own.
We are going to look at a 69 Overlander on Friday. The owners bought this as a project trailer, replaced the living room floor and have decided they want a smaller camper. They are asking $3k but said they would accept any reasonable offer. To a newcomer that sounds great but that's where you guys come in. 1. What should I look for? 2. What should I know going in? 3. What should I stay away from? 4. Given that it will be a total redo what is a reasonable price to offer? Please see link below. Any help is greatly appreciate. I am looking forward to hearing all your wisdom and years of experience.
Thanks so much
Mikel

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/rvs/5501309285.html
MLWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome, Mike. Boy, are you brave! In some ways, an Airstream isn't any different than any other trailer, while in other ways it is a completely different animal. For starters, how are your riveting skills? How familiar are you with working with aluminum? Airstreams are nearly all metal.

The one area where there is wood is the floor. Any area under/near a door, window, or roof opening is a place where there can be water damage.

You realize that you are looking at a trailer that was built nearly 50 years ago, so you can expect that there are lots of places where there might be problems. Also, someone has started working on it, and it may well be that the real reason they are selling it is that they got in over their heads. You are looking at a project that will take several years to get ready for use. Is that what you want?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote