Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
NaCl + Al

We're pretty much decided that sometime in the near future we will be selling out Foretravel MH and Jeep so that we can buy an F250 and 34' Airstream. We had the opportunity a couple of weeks ago to visit the National Seashore on Padre Island, and thought that someday we'd like to boondock for a night or two there (after we get the Airstream, of course). We're also thinking that maybe when we start to focus on a couple of places to use as seasonal bases the Corpus Christi area might be a candidate for the winter base.

How much salt air is a problem? I understand that after a couple of days and nights on the beach that the truck and trailer will both need a bath, but how far inland is a safe distance?

At this point in our full-timing life we're still moving around a fair amount and we haven't been to even half of the States yet, so we may well pick another winter base that isn't along the water.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
In my own limited experience, things that are plated, like chrome, fare the worst. At least they are the most noticeable, because you expect to see a bright shiny finish, and instead you see pits. It is evident on all the cars that are resident in seaside villages. We recently spent a few days on the north coast, and visited a seaside winery while we were there. The winery is about 1/4 mile from the ocean, which is clearly visible from their patio. I needed an extra wine opener, and was looking through all the ones they had. All of them were plated and all of them were pitted from the salt air, so I passed. By the time we left, we had accumulated salt scum on all the windows of our truck and trailer, which means it was also all over the bodies of them. I'm sure a few days or weeks wouldn't be a problem, if you wash your vehicles frequently, but I don't know how you would avoid corrosion if you left them there for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
We live in Rockport, about 30 miles from Corpus and keep our Airstream here just some of the time (mostly in central Texas). The one thing we never do it take it or the truck to the beach! A visit to one of beach parks for a short time would probably be OK if you made sure and rinsed both off on your way back.

There’s like 60 RV parks around this area with most of them not on the water, something I’d recommend as driving to any one of the beaches around here takes just a few minutes. This area welcomes “winter Texans” with open arms!

BTW David, I sent you a PM.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We live on a barrier island with the Atlantic Ocean 1/4 mile away. We travel about 20% of the time, so 80% of the time for the 18 months we've owned our Airstream it's either in our driveway or just down the street at our son's house. We routinely go to the beach where my profile pic was taken and where direct salt spray is common.

Exposed metal of all types tends to suffer here. Modern vehicles (like our Toyota Tundra TV) and the Airstream hold up well with normal washing and waxing. The aluminum skin with its clear coating show zero issues from salt. The A frame (which Airstream recommends inspecting and painting periodically) has not needed attention yet. The chrome bumper is also like new. I have one panel with minor filoform corrosion and the cast aluminum grab handle next to the door on the outside of the trailer shows minor pitting. I'm treating both with liberal amounts if carnuba wax. Some secondary parts including the arms of the fantastic fan lids are showing visible rust. After 5 or 10 years they will probably need replacing... oh well. I do carry and use a full assortment of oil, grease and silicone products recommended in the Airstream owners manual. I also carry corrosion stop which is used mostly on bicycles and tools... not the trailer.

So far, I'd say modern Airstreams are salt worthy. The fact that you're thinking about life near salt and considering a more frequent wash schedule leads me to think you should hit the beach and enjoy!
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote