Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2019, 05:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Amazing that a stolen truck and trailer can be driven across a secure border by someone who looks like that guy. If I ever wondered about border security those questions have been answered.
He looked clean and well groomed in the border crossing photo, if covered in tattoos, not by themselves grounds to suspect murder and theft of the vehicle they were in.

He was apparently fleeing his supervised release and some recent charges, and had a warrant out in Utah for his arrest.

Maggie
Old 11-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sorry Countryboy but the border crossing photo I saw was a average tattooed couple with ear gages in. That's pretty run of the mill these days and should not of caused any additional interest.

The truck and trailer was likely not reported stolen yet when they crossed.

It's easier to head south into Mexico but he would have never made it north into Canada.

I would be interested in learning more about the suspects motivation and method of how he convinced or overwhelmed the victims.

That would give us all more information about what to be cautious of without all the speculations.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Come on down! The county park Isla Blanca on the southernmost point of the island is very nice. We are here right now and more than half of the sites are available.

The park has been remodeled so don't worry about the old reviews posted. We feel very safe here and the police department patrols the area. We've met many here that come down year after year. This is not boondocking. It costs about $650/month for full-service hookups.
We stayed there this past September and had no issues. As mentioned, they have really done a great job with the boardwalk and beach areas. It has tons of campsites and it seems most are allocated to long term rentals.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #24
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Lovely couple...
https://gephardtdaily.com/local/loga...rt-appearance/

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Always be prepared, it is my 'mojo.'
Old 11-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Sorry Countryboy but the border crossing photo I saw was a average tattooed couple with ear gages in. That's pretty run of the mill these days and should not of caused any additional interest.

The truck and trailer was likely not reported stolen yet when they crossed.

It's easier to head south into Mexico but he would have never made it north into Canada.

I would be interested in learning more about the suspects motivation and method of how he convinced or overwhelmed the victims.

That would give us all more information about what to be cautious of without all the speculations.
No need to apologize. They don’t look average to me but some people are very trusting. I have tattoos too but my firefighters’ cross doesn’t cause any problems at the border, or anywhere. See link above with their photos. Real sweethearts. Hopefully they fry.

If you’re not a gray haired 65 year old couple with a lap dog and you have car trouble I’m not stopping. “Sorry”.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What I’m sure is getting a second look is the Park Ranger, I think it was, who pulled Williams over in his own pickup a few days before contact with this couple was lost.

The Ranger gave him a warning for not wearing a seatbelt, but maybe didn’t run his plates, as there was a warrant out for Williams in Utah. That truck was later found abandoned.

We had a saying in the business, that one never wanted their hands to be the last on a situation that went bad.

I feel badly for that officer.

Just a couple of months ago, I had a middle of the night visit from a police officer where I was boondocking not far off a road overnight.

He had all the outside lights on his cruiser on, insisted on me opening the door and physically seeing me, and shone a flashlight inside to be sure no one with nefarious intent was lurking inside.

He said he was “required” to see me, interview me, and insure my safety.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
What I’m sure is getting a second look is the Park Ranger, I think it was, who pulled Williams over in his own pickup a few days before contact with this couple was lost.

The Ranger gave him a warning for not wearing a seatbelt, but maybe didn’t run his plates, as there was a warrant out for Williams in Utah. That truck was later found abandoned.

We had a saying in the business, that one never wanted their hands to be the last on a situation that went bad.

Just a couple of months ago, I had a middle of the night visit from a police officer where I was boondocking not far off a road overnight.

He had all the outside lights on his cruiser on, insisted on me opening the door and physically seeing me, and shone a flashlight inside to be sure no one with nefarious intent was lurking inside.

Maggie

Strange. On what cause was he "required" to check on you?

I'm a stauch supporter of law enforcement, but my cooperation in such an incident is totally voluntary and would require a very good and convincing reason.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, I didn’t ask to see copy of the procedure, but he was very polite and stood in the glare of his headlights so I could see he was actually a cop.

He didn’t ask me to come out of the Interstate, only stated I needed to open the sliding door far enough that he could actually see me and the inside.

My practice with those who carry weapons and have arrest powers is generally to do what they ask.

Some years back there was a couple whose RV was hijacked, they were murdered and carried around inside for a couple of days before something brought the RV to the attention of the authorities.

I’m sure this young man ran my plates, and if someone other than me had opened the door the situation would undoubtedly have been handled much differently.

I thanked him for checking on me, and went back to bed.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
You can't live your life afraid of danger.
Sure, it happens, but people get killed in their homes too, so laying low doesn't guarantee safety.
Realize it's like an airplane crash, the odds are so small, you can't worry about it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:18 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

Maggie
I am not in law enforcement, but I just did a Google search. So I am not 100% certain of this, but there is no federal database of vehicle license plates. I also read somewhere that information is not readily shared between law enforcement agencies or states. There is one private company that has a very large database, Vigilant Solutions, but there seems to be an issue with ICE and possibly Border Patrol agents being allowed access to that information. So it is probable that the Park Ranger or Border Patrol agent you refer to may not actually had the capability to "run the plates".
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Apparently his plate wasn’t run because it isn’t protocol for a seat belt stop.

https://www.kristv.com/local-news/bu...-disappearance

Not to start a debate here, my understanding is that National Park Rangers are fully authorized law enforcement agents, with all the authority and access of others in their position.

I feel badly for this officer, and suspect there will be changes made.

I operate under the assumption that law enforcement everywhere can and do run plates for the slightest suspicion, and I don’t have a problem with that.

Maggie
Old 11-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You can't live your life afraid of danger.
Sure, it happens, but people get killed in their homes too, so laying low doesn't guarantee safety.
Realize it's like an airplane crash, the odds are so small, you can't worry about it.
It’s NOT like an airplane crash. You absolutely have control over some things. Here’s an example:

In Detroit there have been a spate of carjackings at gas stations and ATMs in the very early morning hours (1-3am). I guarantee this will NEVER happen to me, and I’m 100% certain. Know why? 1. I never get out of the car for any reason in Detroit at night. 2. I never buy fuel at night, and NEVER in Detroit for any reason. But people still do, and they’re on the news every day.

I’m also 100% safe in my home, so I have that covered. I guess you could say I’m not worried about a damned thing.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote