Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2003, 01:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Mudflaps--yes or no ?

Before I get a huge dent in a rock guard or the propane tank cover, I am wondering if I should invest in mudflaps...thinking of Roadwing or (forgot the name) or their competitor's product.

Whereas the rockguards cost $750 a piece maybe it is worth the cost of mudflaps..... wondering since I never ever go off the paved roads except in an RV park or a pit stop off the interstate if I really need them.

I like to have things pretty perfect but the tt has already depreciated about 50%......maybe a few blemishes do not matter??

Do any of you have the Roadwing type of removable mudflaps?
Do they grab onto the insert into the receiver? My Expedition does not have a lot of receiver sticking out to grab onto....

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Kistler:
I use Roadwings and have for several years. I believe any Airstream owner should use mud flaps for the reason you mention- 750 clams for guards. I drive a 3/4 Dodge Van and I got my mud flaps a few years ago directly from Roadwing in Oregon at a fire sale price ($50). I have a Reese Hitch head and they would not fit. I guess that is the reason they were on sale. Anyway, I had to buy a peice of 1/4 plate steel and extend the mounting arms back about 5 inches from the set screw mounting bracket that fits over the hitch arm that slids in the receiver. After that they worked great. As I recall, it cost me about $10 to modify them. No rock dings since. Good Luck.
pjlingl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Kistler, try http://www.airforums.com/forum...light=roadwing for my previous post on this topic, and a thread with other views. A search on "roadwing" will also turn it up. Nick.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you Nick, I am not certain that I am up to modifying the Roadwings......

Another product named "Rocktamer" mfg'd by Enkay up in CO seems to be a possibility except--$229.00.

Thank you for the information. I wonder if the Roadwing people sell something for Reese applications now?????

Kistler
Old 07-10-2003, 05:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Mudflaps--yes or no ?

Greetings Kistler!

I rarely travel on anything but paved roads, and have been well satisfied with the heavy-duty truck/SUV mudflaps that Ziebart installed on my Suburban when it was brand new from the factory - - the body of the truck has been protected as well as the trailer (I had them installed at all four wheels). A nice additional feature is that they are (or at least were in 1998) covered by a limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser - - if they become unusable for any reason they can be replaced at any Ziebart outlet by presenting the original purchase/installation invoice. This has covered replacing one of mine due to bolt that pulled through the mounting as well as one that was deformed for unknown reasons. I believe the original installed price for all four was about $125.00.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Try this!

Just get a load of what my 74's owner manual tells you to do when encountering gravel roads, and I quote;

"If you have to tow long distances over bad roads, the stones and gravel thrown back by your tires will dent and scratch the aluminum finish of your Airstream. To prevent this, use masking tape to secure heavy sheets of cardboard to the lower front end of the trailer."

Yeah, yeah, like I carry heavy sheets of cardboard everywhere I go. I don't think rock guards were available back then. I am working on a set of mud flaps for my truck. As far as putting stone guards on the trailer, after 30 years without them, I am not in a big hurry to drop the big bucks on a set of guards. I tell my wife the dents add character. My wife says "BS."

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:56 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
flaps

made my own at deer camp last year.

some heavy angle iron and med. duty truck flaps. nuts bolts washers. a little welding.

slips over the draw bar. about 40 bucks in materials.

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small_flaps.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	2312  
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:46 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I highly recommend the rock guards. Most of us tow with SUV's or trucks with all-terrain tires and they really pick up the rocks. Even if you stick to the highways, most campgrounds have gravel interior roads or sites. It's a good idea to have them. You will definitely save the front of your Airstream.

I've used the RoadWing flaps for about 2 years. I did have one of the flaps tear on me out in South Dakota last year. I found a replacement easily at a truck service center. They use a standard truck mud flap that you have to trim some height and width off of in order to fit.

Words of Advice:
1) Before purchasing make sure that the flap doesn't line up with your electrical/break connector! I now have a RoadWing for sale after putting a new receiver hitch on my Ford! It won't work on my Hensley drop bar either.

2) Cut the flaps to length using the height measured with the truck and trailer connected and loaded for travel, o/w they'll be too long! (don't ask how I know this!)

3) For a few less than $170 (CampingWorld) price, you can make your own out of two truck store or NAPA mudflaps (w/ logos cost less!) and go to Home Depot and buy some SteelWorks project material, 1/2" bolts, nuts and washers and make your own. See pic below. I made these in about two hours. Make sure they stick out further than the rear bumper a little on both sides, i.e., don't make them too narrow! If you can see the tire from behind, a rock can get through. Receiver hitches make a convenient mounting point. Otherwise, use the rear bumper, or just inside the fender well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mudflaps.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	2313  
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thanks you guys....you do good looking work. Makes me wish you guys were my neighbors

I am afraid I am going to have to buy mine. I am thinking now that I will get "Rock Tamer" from Enkay up in CO....similar to Road wing construction.

You are correct in thinking I would like to protect my "investment"......can anything that depreciates be called an investment?

Kistler