Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2004, 10:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Minneapolis RV Show Thoughts

I spent a couple hours at the Minneapolis RV Show yesterday. The entire convention floor of over 300,000 sf was filled with a sea of white box ribbed aluminum swoop painted SOBs trailers and motorhomes except for four buried in the middle of the floor Airstream trailers. They had a Bambi, 22' CCD, 25 ft. CCD and 25' Safari there.

The Airstreams and the T@B teardrop trailer drew very favorable comments when in ear shot. The SOBs seem to garner comments about the individual components inside but not overall comments. I was kind of tittlelated by the color coordinated picture of the yellow Chevy SSR pulling the yellow trimmed T@B teardrop. I've yet to see an SSR with a hitch or what they are capable of towing. They would look good with an Airstream as well.

The Bambi is too small and seems a step up from tent camping or teardrop trailer camping--maybe good for a weekend and/or if you are by yourself. My reflections come from tent camping my whole life. It isn't all bad. The idea is to enjoy the outdoors and if that is your goal a Bambi would be great.

The 22' CCD is interesting with that back desk for us computer phobe types but I did not care for the bed arrangement just inside the entrance.

The 25 footers gave an interesting option of contrast. The CCD is sexy but again the bed hangs out there in view. The permanent dinette of the CCDs definitely feels friendly and ready for impromtu gatherings over a cup of coffee.

The 25' Safari seemed zoned better with a back bedroom that can close off. For two people with night owl reading habits it could be a godsend. This one had the twin beds that I liked. The other option of the queen bed that you can step around seems better than the tuck up against the wall CCDs. I would like that too because I doubt I would ever travel with anyone but my wife.

Oh well, it made me appreciate my vintage all the more. There are some things about our plan I have reservations about but overall I still like it. I'm encouraged I can spend a ton of money on my trailer and come up with something customized and still be a third of the cost new. But then again, I have to find the time to do it and right now it has about a 15 inch cap of white stuff on top of it.

The CCDs got me to thinking about stripping my vinyl and exposing the aluminum interior skin. Found a couple of threads on this in Airstream Forums here.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

"The Bambi is too small and seems a step up from tent camping"

I met a retired couple last summer on an extended trip through the west towing their late model Bambi. They were really enjoying it. I can say with some certainty, though, that I would not.

My experience at RV shows is not dissimilar. I have yet to see anything that has the potential to provide more pleasure than my own coach. This is especially true if I bother to look at details: closet space, pantry space, ergonomics of sofa and TV location, construction quality, and on and on.

No sour grapes here. Rather more an observation of to each his own.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Minneapolis RV show pictures

Here are a couple of pictures from the RV show
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00045.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	4828  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
A mixed bag

The Austin RV show is this coming weekend. Last year, there were no Airstreams. Our local dealer had an open house on his lot and ducked the show because of the obscene cost of floor space. I don't know whether they will be there this year, as well. Lat year, I visited the local dealer after leaving the show; they had a special on accessories and free BBQ.

I go to the show largely to get ideas for small modifications on my own trailer. Most SOBs are poorly laid out and just as poorly built, but here and there I can pick up a nice idea for something useful that I can build in my woodworking shop or a useful bit of hardware that I haven't seen before. Even in popups, I sometimes find some good ideas.

I have no interest in the big motorhomes that usually occupy at least half of the floor space or the big 5th-wheels. I do like to see unusual trailers such as Awards, TrailManors, Hi-Los, and the like.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Another, looking forward

Nice!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc00049.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	4829  
Old 02-15-2004, 11:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Here's T@B

Me and another guy lifted the thing up with the convenient handles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc00052.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	4830  
Old 02-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Talking And the other guy?

The Hulk?
Old 02-15-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

I went to the Houston RV show and they didnt have any Airstreams at all. It was $7 to park and $8 a ticket to get in, We stayed about an hour and left
Kathy Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Argh! that tuck in the corner bed

Don, That photo reminds me again the one thing I didn't like about the CCDs--that tuck in the corner bed. The 28 ft. CCD plan I do like. They didn't have one of those there.

Kathy, Our Minneapolis show cost $9 per ticket but I got my parking free because I have a 24/7 monthly parking priviledge in downtown Minneapolis. But I did have to walk a mile to get to the Convention Center (skyway system all the way or I would have paid to be closer).
Old 02-15-2004, 12:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Mark -

I saw those T@B's at the Tampa RV show several weeks ago. As I recall, they had that same yellow model hitched up to a VW Beetle also in matching yellow.

I stood there in front of the T@B's for several minutes, dreaming of what it would have been like to have had one back in the days when my wife and I owned a couple Beetles.

However, my daydreaming ended when I looked at the sticker price on that T@B and realized it cost 10X what we paid for our Beetles in the late 60's, early 70's. (about $2000 for those cars then; $20,000 for those T@B's now!)

John:
Old 02-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
T@B Price

John,

At the Minneapollis RV show I think those trailers were around $10-11,000. There is not much too them. No bathroom and a very small kitchenette setup. The highest point inside is 5'-9" (and my head touched) and at the front kitchenette you would have to be a very short person to be comfortable. To me it is not much more than a sleeping area and an area of refuge when it rains at a camp site.

The Travel Channel "RV Crazy!" show had a segment on teardrop owners. They are kind of cultish like us Airstream people.

They should only be pulled by Chevy SSRs, VW Beetles or Chrysler PT Cruisers.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
tob

They primarily appeal to hobbits.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
T@B

They also had a white model with red trim. It was a little cheaper. ($9995, I think).
Old 02-15-2004, 02:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Re: A mixed bag

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
I go to the show largely to get ideas for small modifications on my own trailer. Most SOBs are poorly laid out and just as poorly built, but here and there I can pick up a nice idea for something useful that I can build in my woodworking shop or a useful bit of hardware that I haven't seen before. Even in popups, I sometimes find some good ideas.
Quote:
I have no interest in the big motorhomes that usually occupy at least half of the floor space or the big 5th-wheels. I do like to see unusual trailers such as Awards, TrailManors, Hi-Los, and the like.
I know what you mean. We went to the San Antonio show and it's pretty much the same story everywhere - big fifth wheels and even bigger motorhomes. They had a Bambi, Classic and Safari on hand, the new "B", and that's about it. The rest was an ocean of seemingly identical units with different names and the same, tired old layouts. Every now and then you run across some small innovation, but usually it's just the same ol' same ol'.

Since we're already set on an Airstream, it's hard for us to get too excited anymore about these shows. We probably won't even bother with the Austin show - can't justify admission and parking fees to look at something we've no interest in buying - especially if the local dealer intends to bow out again. Plus, parking in Austin is about 10 times the pain it is in S.A.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:15 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
T@B

I stopped at a local dealer here and the price difference is due to the exterior. One is an Aluminum exterior, the other is a fiberglass. The Fiberglas is the base model. The Aluminum is the "fancy" one. They weigh the same either way. I think the GCWR is 2000 Lbs, and the trailer is 1500? of that. I looked a few weeks ago, so I have forgotten what the plate said for sure.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
T@B Literature

The handout at the Minneapolis RV show says the skins are clear-coated, one-piece aluminum skin and the T@B weighed (dry) only 1,360 lbs.

Interestingly it is a Thor Industries product and the T@B web site is similar to the Airstream company site.

http://www.TAB-rv.com
Old 02-15-2004, 08:02 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
RV Heaven

Well this is my week. The RV show comes to the St. Louis convention center and I now work there. Lots of ability to stroll and look, and of course get in free.

Any of you planning to be there, I'll be staffing the WBCCI table on Friday from 6-10PM at the Bill Thomas exhibit.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
In November I spoke with the Airstream dealer who would have had these models at the Mpls. show. "Oh, the Airstreams were so hot they were selling before they even took delivery at the dealer" or something like that. (Of course he was trying to prompt me to become a buyer on something in the pipeline.) Their November plans were that they'd have no Airstreams at the show. Days are getting longer and folks might be getting more inclined by now.

The shows might be the last chance at 2004's though. Anybody try to order lately? Are they scheduling production into May and the 2005's yet? (or I think the switch-over is April or so...)

flyfisher -- a Beetle I'd believe, but you sure didn't see a Touareg towing a T@B! ROTFLMAO

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:46 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

IF YOU WANNA' SEE AIRSTREAMS AT A SHOW, VISIT THE TAMPA SHOW IN JANUARY EACH YEAR. THE FACTORY AND BATES' , THE LOCAL AIRSTREAM DEALER, WILL HAVE A FULL COMPLIMENT OF CLASSICS, SLIDES, BAMBIS, AND ANYTHING ELSE AT THE SHOW AND WILL ALSO SHUTTLE YOU TO THEIR SALES LOT TO SEE ALL THEY HAVE.
ke4pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:04 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfisher
However, my daydreaming ended when I looked at the sticker price on that T@B and realized it cost 10X what we paid for our Beetles in the late 60's, early 70's. (about $2000 for those cars then; $20,000 for those T@B's now!)
1971 Super Beetle, bright red, drove it off of the showroom floor in Jupiter, FL for $ 1,895.00 plus tax and title. Always liked the way it seemed to smile at me with the toothed grill underneath the front bumper. (Or was that $ 2,195.00 for the Super Beetle? Memory is fading quickly!)
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote