Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Main door problems

Anyone know what I should do about my main door? The door appears to be slightly out of square and is a PITA (pain in the a**) trying to close it. It's been like that since new (a few weeks ago). It looks almost that the door when opening it drops on the right side (where the latch is) about an eighth of an inch or two. When closing it, the opposite.

Are there any adjustments that I can do rather than tow this thing all over creation to have it fixed? I tried another new Airstream and it's door is pretty fluid in operation unlike my poor silvertwinkie.

Thanks,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Main door problems

Greetings Eric!

Since your Bambi is a 2003 model, this is something I would suggest leaving to a qualified Airstream dealer under the provisions of your warranty. Problems with entry door hinges is one of the nagging concerns with most Airstreams, and one of the concerns that many Vintage owners have had to struggle. In many cases this problem can be caused by the door being blown open when in transit or in a violent wind storm or gust. In the case of a new unit, it could be a manufacturing defect.

Good luck in finding a solution to your door alignment problem.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:52 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I feared that would be the answer. My confidence level in the dealer I bought it from is not that great at this point given some of misinformation, and general lack of knowledge on the product.

I was thinking of a sort of homecoming and going to Ohio (about a 5 hour trip). Do they do warranty repairs at the factory. I also have a few other small odds and ends that need attention (loose shower wall with cracked caulk, mystery stain on the stainless rear sink, interior trim not secured, exhaust hood outside clips broken off).

If there is an alternative to the dealer in Illinois that anyone would recommend that is closer than the factory, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 03-02-2003, 06:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
go to jackson center an get it fixed. but call servise and make an appointment or get a agreement as to what they will do if you drop in and say i got a problem. they are nice and will fir you in but call first. lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
eric

if going west try ace fogdall

http://www.acefogdallrv.com/

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 07:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Main door problems

Greetings Eric!

It wouldn't be any closer than the factory - - at least five hours from Chicago; but I have had excellent service from Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, IA. They are an Airstream dealer, and they have an excellent service department - - if it weren't for them, I don't know if I would be as well satisfied with my '64 Overlander as they have been able to address any and every problem that I have brought to them. They have also been instrumental in getting my '78 Argosy Minuet ready for the coming travel season.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by wb13798
go to jackson center an get it fixed. but call servise and make an appointment or get a agreement as to what they will do if you drop in and say i got a problem. they are nice and will fir you in but call first. lol
al
One thing you should consider when going to Jackson Center for a repair. The process, unless it has changed, they open the building between 7-7:30 am. They told us 7:30 but I found it opens earlier. You sign your name on a list and then sit in the waiting area till they call your name. They take you in that order (assuming the type of person who services your vehicle is available).

I went for an air conditioner inspection on a return trip from vacation in Michigan. I showed up the afternoon before my appointment day, was first on the list, but didn't actually get in until the afternoon after my original appointment day. Apparently a person with a condensation problem with his two motorhome air conditioners tied up the two air conditioner mechanics for two and a half days. Thankfully I had enough vacation time scheduled so it wasn't a disaster and we enjoyed out stay and met some nice folks in the waiting area.

I'm sure most folks get in and out on their appointment days, but understand that they will work on a vehicle until they resolve the problem. That may lengthen your wait even though you have an appointment.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:42 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Door problems

I had a problem with the weatherstrip on the door not meeting the ledge on the frame below the latch. My local dealer did a great job of adjusting it. In this case, they have a very savvy lead technician who knew what to do.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 11:46 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks all for the great info. I may head out to the Mississippi Palaceds (sp?). If so, I may plan an extra excursion to IA to drop off the Bambi for some work. If not, I will stop by the factory on a trip to the Indianapolis area. Either way, I will call ahead and set things up and plan on it taking a few days or possilby leaving it behind.

Thanks again.

Eric