Old 07-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Cleveland , Ohio
Maiden Voyage 2021 Flying Cloud 23FB

We picked up our new Airstream from Patrick at Colonial. The first 2021 FC he delivered. We are thrilled, our first trip went great. The X5 pulled it from Colonial in NJ, to Watkins Glen in NY and then back home to Cleveland, OH. Set the adaptive cruise control to 60mph and averaged 14.9MPG; the BMW never struggled for power in the hills and not a hint of sway.

A few comments on the 2021 FC.
- We like the tankless water heater. Dial the temp you want on the wall panel, turn it to full hot and it comes to temp in 4-6 seconds. I was pretty surprised how quick it worked.

- When we ordered, it was a 2020, we were notified that it would be a 2021 later. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that it would be the newer model year with all of the updates.

- The new finishes are great and much more modern than the 2020. We liked the floor covering much better than we thought we would, the ultra leather seats and the new hardware are great. I do prefer the curved cabinets on the old model better than the flat ones, but the new soft close hinges are a welcome trade. Overall it's a much nicer finish out than the previous year.

- I have read so much about a lack of quality control and lack of attention to detail. We have zero complaints in that area. We inspected every inch of the trailer and there are a couple of little gaps in some of the grey sealant the size of a grain of sand around the lock, easy enough to patch that up. There was no post trip sawdust. We didn't loose a single rivet or screw. Fit and finish were terrific.

- Buying from Patrick was a first class experience. Can not say enough about how good the overall experience was from sales, delivery, tech service. Spent 3 hours with delivery, and almost 2 with the tech on the hitch hookup and de-couple process. We spent the night there and they checked on us in the morning.5-Rivets for Colonial Airstream.

We're off to Michigan this weekend for trip number two. Big thanks to all the people here who have shared limitless information and support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5774.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	372166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5769.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	372167  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5785.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	489.8 KB
ID:	372168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5772.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	372169  

matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Well done! Congrats.

DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
... Welcome to the family! You're going to enjoy it. When you get a chance, take a photo of the cabinets. I haven't see what you're talking about on the 2021 models. I didn't realize they changed them.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Congrats! Enjoy your trip (safely)!
Has anyone reading this had the experience of the pantry baskets jumping off their hooks on the road? On our first trip, the top two came loose so I secured them with twist ties. Second trip, the bottom two came off and jammed in the bottom so the door would NOT slide out more than 1/8”. I looped some rope through the crack and around the basket, and was able to pull it up enough to get the pantry open. The fix used up the last of my wife’s precious twist ties.
I’ll install some smallish zip-ties when we get back to base, unless I hear of a better solution here on the forum. (The wife has already advised me not to drive over railroad tracks.)
Thanks! - Don
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Congrats! Enjoy your trip (safely)!
Has anyone reading this had the experience of the pantry baskets jumping off their hooks on the road? On our first trip, the top two came loose so I secured them with twist ties. Second trip, the bottom two came off and jammed in the bottom so the door would NOT slide out more than 1/8”. I looped some rope through the crack and around the basket, and was able to pull it up enough to get the pantry open. The fix used up the last of my wife’s precious twist ties.
I’ll install some smallish zip-ties when we get back to base, unless I hear of a better solution here on the forum. (The wife has already advised me not to drive over railroad tracks.)
Thanks! - Don
Small Zip-Ties before we even got on the road.
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Welcome aboard. Nice to see no complaints on a new unit, but I believe that is where Colonial excels. We’ve purchased 2 pre-owned privately, but if we ever succumb to a new unit, it will be from Colonial.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Maiden Voyage 2018 FC 30RB

Just read Maiden Voyage post from two-rivet member Matthewk. Mattewk likes new 2021 FC 23FB and liked delivery service. The commentary was so positive, so satisfied, I kept expecting proverbial shoe to drop as praiseful paragraphs drew to a close. So relieved shoe did NOT drop.

Following advice gleaned from this column and other sources, I decided not to buy new, rather let first owner turn up loose screws. I feel we (John and Roberta) got the best deal in the country on a 2018 FC 30RB out of Payson AZ. We plan on a two-year outing (John will be interviewing veterans of the Navy’s two most decorated warships, about which, more later) so felt four weeks on the road throughout the West would be the Shakedown Cruise of shakedown cruises.

California foothills up through high desert Oregon . . . direct Spokane WN followed by Priest Lake ID . . . south into Montana, Yellowstone, Wyoming . . . jaunt through the toughest Colorado had to offer . . . a good stretch of Arizona . . . and now sidling up California’s majestic 395. Wonderful wonderful scenery along the way with all the wild ups-and-downs the West can throw at you.

We’ve turned up a few loose screws, one serious, one not so serious, the balance trivial. We love this trailer, but we must fix a few things before launching on the BIG trip. (Seems the refer never worked on LPG, a big deficiency given the likelihood/need to boondock along the way.)
More serious are operator faults. Inexperience. Refining a Take Off check list and Daily Ops follow-on, about which more later.

Matthewk, hope to meet you out there some day.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 25' Safari
2018 26' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
North Central Texas , USA
That's great to hear matthewk !

I guess it's a lot easier to complain than complement but I'm happy to read such positive info.

We do love our Airstream(s), and complain from time to time, but we are in it for the long run, welcome and hope to see you down the road sometime.