Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
Actually, as of when I retired, all the "prior service" folks went to Cape May, New Jersey for charm school. Not a terrible place, kind of grey all winter. Food was actually pretty decent for military chow.

Town is very touristy in summer. Dead in winter. But, if they give you liberty, Atlantic City is right up the road.

By the way, what's your rate?

mike
Funny you should ask. I was an FC2 in the Navy which WAS an FT2 in the Coast Guard...which is NOW ET2. There was a lot of "merging" going on in the Navy when I left there as well.

I've been to Earl, New Jersey for ammunition onloads and offloads in the Navy. Anything like that? Earl was a very depressing place to visit. People stationed there though loved it. Of course you literally had to walk a mile down one pier to another pier where you had to walk another mile back out to a small shack just to smoke a ciggarette. By the time you got back, you wanted another! The Navy really did take safety to the extreme. I quit smokin' though. Now I've just got to lose the 30lbs I gained!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:20 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Well Rivetedude,

That sounds so exciting to make such a change in career and location. I'll miss dropping by the dealership to see you when I visit Jackson Center next. Keep us posted. The Coast Guard is really cooool! You don't happen to get seasick, do you?! Congratulations and smooth sailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
Well folks, I'm having a life changing moment here. Looks like I'm going to be saying "Goodbye!" to RV Sales and "Hello again sweetie! How have you been?" to the armed forces. No, not the Navy again. I've decided this time to become a Puddle Pirate. That's Coast Guard in case you didn't know. They're going to let me in with the same rank and job as I had in the Navy and I'll be shipping out to a "Mini 4-week Bootcamp" at the end of October. No, I'm not letting any grass grow under my feet.

After my Mini Bootcamp, I'll be sent to my permanant duty station. Here's the kicker. I'll get to live in my Airstream while wifeypoo sells the house and meets up with me. I have no idea where I'll be sent yet, but I sure am glad I decided to keep the Toastah. If I didn't, I'd either have to stay in a barracks, or onboard the boat! I also found out that the Coast Guard might not have a barracks available, and normally under those circumstances, I'd have to rent an appartment. I'd be up the creek trying to do that AND pay the house payment! The Airstream is turning out to be a savior!

Anyway, wish me luck you finest of friends as I venture forth into my new life. The uncertainty of a sales career in a shaky economy is about to be replaced by a steady paycheck with free medical. I'm not saying goodbye, as I intend to keep my Airstream and actually plan on having more time to use it. What I am saying is If you bought something from me, STOP CALLING! Ha Ha!

This is "The Dull Darned Salesman" signing off....and "Electronics Technician Second Class, USCG" signing on. Thank you and good night.

PS.- I've only got 14 years to retirement! How many 28 year olds can say that!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
You don't happen to get seasick, do you?!
Naw...I did 6 years in the Navy from '95-'01. Should be ok.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 10-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Coast Guard and Airstreams

We just went to Ludington and took the AS over to Manitowac Wisconsin and on and around some of the "lakes." Over our shoulder from the ferrry at the dock we saw this tucked away in the back of the parking lot. We were in the Navy. Great Lakes IL,, Bainbridge MD, and Norfolk, Va, on shore.

Quote:
Naw...I did 6 years in the Navy from '95-'01. Should be ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coastguard.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	15196  

photography
Old 10-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Hey is that?.....What.....Yes!....It is!.....It's ME! (In a couple months)

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 10-19-2005, 12:09 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I leave for sure on January 5th. I drove all the way to Columbus (200 miles round trip @ 12 mpg) to learn January 5th...oh...and get a stack of papers to take home and sign. Jeez! They're killin' me!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:52 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Just figured I'd give you folks an update. I went yesterday to MEPS and got inspected, detected, injected, infected, and neglected. Suprisingly enough, they found ME physically fit enough to join the Coast Guard! I passed my weight requirement litterally by a single pound!

My bride is sitting in a meeting as I speak with our realitor getting the numbers straight to list our house. If we get it sold right away, I may not have the luxury of Lumin' in Alivinum for very long as the title of this thread suggests.

Either way, the Knowns are that I'm going to Cape May, NJ on January 5th for a 4-week "Charm School" and I'm physically and mentally qualified to join the Coast Guard. The Unknowns are:

1. Am I getting E-5? Recruiter says everything looks great to retain E-5 but they may want me to take ET 'A' school anyway.

2. Where am I going after Joysey? Still don't have a clue on that one, but I should have 2 or 3 choices BEFORE I leave. I will chime in and let you know. If I'm in your area, I'll expect replies as to where the good spots are to camp while I seek a permanent domicile.

Thanks all!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-16-2005, 09:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Are THEY ever missing the boat!

They should be sending you out as an entertainer for the troops.
At least Santa will know what chimney to slide down to find you this year. Have some great holidays and do continue to keep us posted.

Oh...shouldn't you be changing your signature to "The Travelin' Salesman?"

photography
Old 11-17-2005, 03:43 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Lots of Coasties end up here in Alameda, CA drop a line if'n you're here I'll show you around town.

Stay safe!

ingrid

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:13 AM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
1. Am I getting E-5? Recruiter says everything looks great to retain E-5 but they may want me to take ET 'A' school anyway.

Thanks all!
For you landlubbers, and folks not familiar with ranks and pay grades, this would be a 2nd class petty officer, kindof the equivalent rank to a sertfgeant, IF I remember my ranks correctly.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:48 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
For you landlubbers, and folks not familiar with ranks and pay grades, this would be a 2nd class petty officer, kindof the equivalent rank to a sertfgeant, IF I remember my ranks correctly.
You are exactly right. More definitively, I'll be an ET2 which stands for Electronics Technician 2nd Class. In the Navy and CG, they put the job and rank together. And yes, Second Class Petty Officer is the same as Sergent in the MC or Army.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 12-01-2005, 07:12 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Another Update

My recruiter asked me for a "Dream Sheet" yesterday. Now for those of you not familiar with the military, a dream sheet is three choices of duty station. Maybe that's where you'll go...maybe not. Here's my choices:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duty Choice Map.GIF
Views:	129
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	16774
Click to Enlarge. Desired areas are highlighted in black.

First choice includes anywhere in District 7 with the exception of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Second Choice includes anywhere in the North Carolina Sector of District 5.

Third Choice includes any Gulf Coast unit or station in District 8.

I left things pretty wide open. I sent that map along with a description to my recruiter. I told her to call and give me some feedback before she submits it. I'm just not that familiar with how the Coast Guard structures their territory, but they seem to be everywhere!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 12-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
dream sheet? has anybody ever gotten what they wished for? haha.....i know i never did...get your kicks and ship for six....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:45 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
memory lane

i had a shipmate that spent 14 years at NAS brunswick....he shipped over, and they gave him orders to the ol' tico....his nickname was cryin charlie....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 12-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
My experience with dream sheets in the USAF was that you always got the opposite of what you wanted. If you tried to trick the personnel center with reverse psycology and picked what you didn't want, you always got those.
I don't know about the USCG. Maybe you won't get District 17!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:08 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I thought I left it pretty wide open enough that surely there'd be something open. I mean let's face it, I picked the entire Gulf Coast and half of the Atlantic Coast. Yep, sounds like District 17 for sure!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 12-02-2005, 06:19 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
lets start a rivetdude pool...

im bettin on district 13...
norby

Old 12-02-2005, 07:00 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
im bettin on district 13...
norby
Nooooo! Too glum and rainy there. No offense intended to our members who reside there.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 12-02-2005, 07:13 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
no hurricanes...just a tsunami every once in a while.....

Old 12-02-2005, 08:57 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
Congratulation Petty Officer Ben. If you help the department of homeland security as much as your posts have helped me on my Airstream then the country is safe indeed.

Good luck on your dream assignment. I have no idea how that works. I am Army Reserve and we get no dreams, just shifted around with little or no notification. I was activated 15 months ago and told that I was going to Ft. Stewart, 2 days before I was to report my orders were changed to Redstone Arsenal.

The provider that I replaced with the rest of our soldiers from the facility that I work in are all safely back from their year long deployment to Iraq. I fully expect to be sent somewhere else until REFRAD. If only I had gotten my AS before I was activated. Although I have to say it has been a great project while not on duty.

Again Congrats and Good Luck,
MAJ Jennifer Rhodes
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote