Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I believe a troll is either a chronic agitator, or someone here posting who is not who he/she represents themselves to be.
Maggie
Hypothetically of course, Do you mean like someone that may or may not of gotten banned and post under his wife's name for 3 months or so?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	241786  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I don't know who to attribute the lower quote to.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
What annoys me the most is when people get annoyed at what I do when they're annoying me.

Ken
"Those of you who think you know everything are damned irritating to those of us who do."

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #43
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Hypothetically of course, Do you mean like someone that may or may not of gotten banned and post under his wife's name for 3 months or so?
Hypothetically, when the moderators find out about the banned member using their wife's account to post, both the banned member and the wife would be subject to permanent banning.
Hypothetically, of course.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Bluhahaa I am a Thread Necromancer!

I've done that so many times looking for follow up on a issue.

Troll: some one who posts with the goal of upsetting people, meanness, or just being a jerk.

Thread Jacking: starting a new discussion not related to the goal of the original thread.

Oh on a side note, I'm thinking about buying a new truck, and I notice the dually are about 10k less. I was wondering how many Gas mileage you loose with a dually?

I am presuming this is tongue in cheek humor, hijacking the thread to talk about truck mileage???
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
"Those of you who think you know everything are damned irritating to those of us who do."

Al
I have found that knowing everything is a fleeting thing that requires constant vigilance. Every time I achieve all-knowingness, some darned fool comes up with something new for me to know.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Question A stunned member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
This forum is a huge benefit and a tremendous resource to us all. The vast majority of the participants here are great and behave in a way that is respectful and contributory in the questions they ask, their answers and opinions, and/or their informative posts.

Unfortunately there seem to be a few participants who much prefer to hijack someone's thread or worse yet, troll. We all slip occasionally but there are some participants that are as consistent in their poor behaviour as the sun coming up each day.

I have two hopes for the board.
1. The trolls go away
2. The thread hijackers learn how to create an original post with their own topic.

Now, I have said it here in my own post versus pointing someone out in a specific thread.

Apologies for my rant - nuf' said.

I don't know how to begin. I am somewhat shocked I guess wondering what the issue actually is. Maybe I am too new and perhaps naive. Then again I'm 70 years old, a retired USAF Colonel; NATO Division Chief and have two masters degrees. What are we talking about here? Who is sabotaging this forum with nonsensical info or responses? I don't recall reading any and begin to wonder what to make of the whole discussion.

I grant that 75% of our RV experience is in Europe and we've been in the US retired 5 years. Inexperienced perhaps?

Question: How much of an issue is this?

Thanks, and forgive me if I am off base and missing some serious issue.

Adam Geuss
Rhinebeck, NY
23' 2014 International Serenity
Ford 250 6.7L TV
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rossbach View Post
I am presuming this is tongue in cheek humor, hijacking the thread to talk about truck mileage???

I was just presenting a example! 😈
Old 06-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Geuss View Post
I don't know how to begin. I am somewhat shocked I guess wondering what the issue actually is. Maybe I am too new and perhaps naive. Then again I'm 70 years old, a retired USAF Colonel; NATO Division Chief and have two masters degrees. What are we talking about here? Who is sabotaging this forum with nonsensical info or responses? I don't recall reading any and begin to wonder what to make of the whole discussion.

I grant that 75% of our RV experience is in Europe and we've been in the US retired 5 years. Inexperienced perhaps?

Adam Geuss

Rhinebeck, NY

Ford 250 6.7L TV

Overall, this is a great group of people and a great forum. The moderators have a very strict "play nice rule." Usually it's not to bad.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Geuss View Post

Adam Geuss
Rhinebeck, NY
Ford 250 6.7L TV
The OP is expressing his frustration with something which although common on forums is frustrating to each of us at times. Sometimes it helps to put things that one finds annoying in writing for others to comment on. There are also many posts in this thread that are satirical in nature.

Please don't be offended by this:
Your military experience may have made you somewhat literal in your interpretation of what others are writing. My experience in 5 five years as a military officer made me aware that it is not an environment where things expressed satirically or obliquely are suitable form of communication outside of the O Club. So keep in mind some of this has been people expressing their completely reasonable annoyance of certain things that bug them, while others are simply enjoying themselves at no one else's expense (as best I can tell).

I hope this helps some.

Ken

P.S. I'm older than you.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Love the forum, feel bad about the thread hijackers and trolls

Well, as a former Marine Sgt, (now 70) it is my experience that when things stop being expressed satirically or obliquely, then it's time to start worrying.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Heck, hijacking, interloping, and trolling are great.

Why?

1. They raise the viewing count. If every forum read like an accounting textbook, who would go there? High viewing count = sponsorship/advertising dollars = website sustainability.

2. In the case of the AFs, if one is in the mood to hijack, interlope, or troll, they are obviously not having any technical issues with their trailer. This is the best "why you should buy an Airstream" endorsement of all!

Hijackers, interlopers, and trolls unite! We meet regularly at an "On the Road" buffet called Welcome to the Breakfast Show. 75,500 views....and counting.

Today's WBS topic: "Name that Plop" or Robert's scrambled eggs.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #52
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
honestly I think this is silly. If someone takes things off course or hijacks or whatever.... Ignore. You'll never get rid of your troll by showing outrage. Kids hate to be ignored. IE. I just skipped to page four of bitchfest-o-rama
KrisE MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Well, as a former Marine Sgt, (now 70) it is my experience that when things stop being expressed satirically or obliquely, then it's time to start worrying.

You just a kid also. I just turned 72. It's amazing what the extra two years experience does for your. I was in Naval aviation, we never said anything that wasn't so!!!!! Your reading this on the internet, so you know its true.

Bon Jour,

Ken
Old 06-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Well, I might have guessed since you have a black and white cat as your avatar that you were from Naval aviation. I, at least, have a black and white dog. Can't you guys get anything right?

Old 06-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Quote:
Well, I might have guessed since you have a black and white cat as your avatar that you were from Naval aviation. I, at least, have a black and white dog. Can't you guys get anything right?

Here's what Daisy looks like when she's ready to kick a dog's butt.
Note: she has backup.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1080 (Custom).JPG
Views:	121
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	241797  
Old 06-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Wow, a border collie could learn something from those stares!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
(BTW, sorry for the hijack)

Old 06-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Quote:
Wow, a border collie could learn something from those stares!

I love border collies, but my sister's is totally buffaloed by their cat. I think the problem is that you can't herd cats.

Ken

This all shows that threads about hijacking are most likely to be hijacked often in many different directions.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #59
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

We have a Pure-bread....

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Now I don't want to hijack this thread so lets get back to the subject at hand. Of course having read the thread all the way through I am no longer sure if this is about one reading threads one don't like, trolls, dreebs, men in there 70 or just military men in there seventies, (of which I am one) or cats and dogs which a troll would eat for a snack.
But anyway keep it up as I love it.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote