Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles Full Time RV Park...

Hello -

Does anyone know of full time parks in Los Angeles? What I mean by full time is a park that I could basically live out of full time and one that will accept a 1975 Argosy Moho.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Allen
Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Malibu RV park

Has some long term people there. They don't have a problem with our 85 MoHo or Uwe's 63 trailer. But rates might be a little steep. There is also a park in San Dimas .. East Shore RV park which seems to have some longterm residents.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Malibu...

How was the park at Malibu? Looked at the website and it's definitely pricey but for an ocean view that's pretty cheap in LA

Cheers,
Allen
Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I am currently staying 2 days at the Pomona Fairplex KOA. They offer extended stay sites...but they say the rv cannot be more than 10 years old. They might make an exception on seeing your rig though.

There are a lot of extended stay people here. It is close quarters, but clean and secure. Right now it is pretty full because an rv show is coming to the fairgrounds.
westernviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Malibu...

Hi str8strm -

Are the beachfront spots worth the extra money?

Cheers,
Allen
Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
There are lots of places in adjacent (inland) counties if you don't mind the commute.
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Koa

Hi westernviews -

That one looks pretty nice. Do you know what the monthly rates are?

Cheers,
Allen
Old 09-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Golden Shore in Long Beach...

Anyone stayed at Golden Shore in Long Beach?

Welcome - Golden Shore RV Resort
Old 09-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
I've visited the Malibu park. Great view, but expensive.

Golden Shore looks like a nice alternative.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Looks, like you've been quite a ways in your rig.

was it hard getting a spot in Malibu? Did you have to reserve it? how long did you stay? and did you stay anywhere else in LA?

cheers,
allen
Old 09-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Malibu vs Golden Shore

We have stayed at Malibu, with str8strm and a dozen others duirng a notreallyarallyrally. Nice location up on the hill overlooking the Pacific with some white water views. Beach access requires walking down the hill and about 100 yards to a safe crosswalk. Easy walk, 10 minutes or so. Ocean view value is a tough call, for us we would pay the premium if it was in the budget. If you need to come and go a lot or if you have business in much of the LA area, Malibu is a challenging location.

Golden Shore is tucked in right next to Long Beach Harbor at the end of the Long Beach Freeway (710). I believe it is off the main channel accross the street from the main harbor. Walking distance to many resturants and entertainment areas, such as the Aquarium of the Pacific. Just down channel from the Queen Marry. Pine Street, the main drag for ent and eating is around the corner. This would be a great location if you are trying to get around the LA/Orange County area, centrally located (considering it is on the coast) within an hour of just about everywhere except maybe the SF valley, and assuming it is no at the heavy rush hours.

Malibu would be peaceful and a bit more removed from the world, Golden Shore would be a busier and more conducive to getting around town.

Hope this helps, remember it is just an opinion.

John
Old 09-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

thanks john -

good to hear something from the locals

you mentioned there is quite a bit of stuff right near the Long Beach location. is there much to do near the Malibu location? how is the Long Beach area, safe, nice? also, is there a beach to actually swim in at Long Beach?

since your from the Hunington area is there anything south of the city in Orange county or near you that has long term camping?

thank you soooo much for your opinion.

cheers,
allen
Old 09-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Allen,

Malibu is kinda off by itself and while the town of Malibu is nerby there is not much else but beach.

You can drive to Santa Monica about 25 min. away. Once there you are near many ent. and dining places.

Long Beach is oddly shaped in that in some places six blocks from the beach you are in depressed or industrial areas. The area around the R.V. Park is very nice and includes much dining and entertainment.

Are you going to be doing something specific or just vacationing?

Surrounding L.A. are Mountain, Desert, Beach and suburban area R.V. parks. So in reality you couls stay in various types of areas and give yourself the full treatment.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamlean
Hello -

Does anyone know of full time parks in Los Angeles? What I mean by full time is a park that I could basically live out of full time and one that will accept a 1975 Argosy Moho.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Allen
Malibu understands "Vintage". We have stayed there with our 1969 Airstream before it was polished and it didn't even come up. I think some of the managers there are into "Vintage" Airstreams........it is a great park and has quite a few long term people. It is challenging in that it is on Pacific Coast Highway with people whizzing by (supposedly no more than 50 mph) and you have to cross 4 lanes of traffic to go to the beach. Also some of the spots are harder to get into than others......but you can pick up the phone and talk to them as they do have rules--only certain dogs, no wood fires--etc. We liked it there and the view is spectacular if you like an ocean view. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Malibu RV

I think most of the full timers stay on the "mountain view side" across from the Ocean view. You can sit on the bluffs anytime you want and you can cross PCH by going under the bridge down by the restaurant. We really enjoy it, there is a good 2 1/2 mile hiking trail up Corral Canyon. but commutes into LA can be time consuming
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Dockweiler Beach

Dockweiler State Beach is another idea and is basically under the LAX runway......maximum 21 days in 60 day time period. If I remember it was about $26 a night. It is a clean safe park that was recently refurbished.....and it is really in LA if that is where you want to be---but the jet noise is relentless--especially at 2 am and 6 am. You can check their rules on their website: Beaches: Dockweiler

Good luck and let us know where you end up..and how it worked for you.....pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Goin Camping -

Traffic in LA is a pretty major headache as it is I can only imagine if there is only one road (the PCH) available to get there.

I'll be doing a little of both while in LA (work and pleasure) so it would be nice if I could find a place that offers the convenience of the city when I want it and a little beach life when I'm "home".

I'm trying to figure out if I want to live in LA so that's why I need the long term thing.

thank you so much for your advice.

cheers,
allen
Old 09-06-2007, 08:23 AM   #18
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Family recently stayed at Golden Shore RV park in Long Beach. They do have some "residents" who have extended stays. It's clean, has pool and jacuzzi, restrooms, showers and laundry. Many of the people that are in the park are convention visitors.

It is at the end of the 710 Long Beach FWY. There you can see the queen Mary if you in a spot that allows it. Nice walkway to exercise. It does have a "dog run". Close to all the entrainment spots in the City.

And the management people are nice too.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Allen,

Unlike many large cities. Downtown is a place you may never go.

Many people live and work in the same satelite area. If you are self employed you can be anywhere. L.A. also has many micro climates.

If you are able to choose your area consider Northern L.A. ie Santa Clarita, North West San Fernando Valley or Simi Valley (in Ventura County) These are nice safe less congested areas. With good freewat access. The other real benefit of these areas is they are "on the edge" of the City and it is a fast escape up the 5 or 14 and across the 210 to get out of town for getaways.

Another beach thought to look into is Oxnard and Ventura. They are both in Ventura County but the pace of life is slower and more affordable.

When you've picked your options let us Angelenos know and we'll tell you which nearby to your location freeways are better or worse.

Milo

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Options...

Well I guess that's the cool thing about having an Airstream. You have multiple options. I was talking to a friend of mine last night that lives in North Hollywood and he said that he knows people that live in their RVs in people's driveways. Is that true?

He even said some people just pull up on the street. The way LA rent is I would think that would be quite common.

Cheers,
Allen