Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Looking for help from some elders

I am planning a long airstream trip and looking for tips, advice etc.

Like so many US citizens, I recently found myself unemployed. My wife and I are both 31 years old and we have two kids, Sergey (4) and Niko (2). We have some money saved and are not eager to return to "normal working life" so we're selling the house, buying an airstream and spending 2-3 months crossing the country. We live in Philadelphia now and plan to take off around July 1st and land in California's Santa Ynez valley around Oct. 1.

We are as newbie as it gets. We know nothing. Help! What do we need to know? Is there an a guide book somewhere with the basics, like airstreaming for dummies. How much time do we need to spend in campgrounds and...How long can we "boondock"? What are legal restrictions on boondocking? We can't pull over on the interstate and sleep, can we? How long does a fifty gallon fresh water tank last and how long will the batteries power my refrigerator (the one we're looking at does not have a propane fridge, just 110v? What are the basics? If we add solar panels how does that work?

We believe we found an 1988 31' airstream excella and a ford f350 super charged diesel to pull it with. We have an appointment to look at these in detail in about 2 weeks. What should we look for? The current owner drove it west to east and says he wouldn't hesitate to take it back in its current condition. That's encouraging, but I want to see for myself, what should I be concerned about?

Are there some wise elders in this community that can steer us in the right direction to prepare for this incredible and exciting journey?
jordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Welcome Jordo,

I incourage you to look at the "trailer inspectors" list to see you is near you to help. Many of us would love to go with you to examine the trailer.

Then prior to "moving in", try a couple of warm up rallies. These will teach you many things.

Good Luck. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

You've found the right place for really good Airstream information. All of the topics that are in your post have been discussed at length in the Forums. There is a SEARCH function on the upper blue tool bar of the portal (home) page. You can also search topics on the Forums via Google. For instance querry 'sewer dumping airforums'. Sometimes the Google search is more effective than our internal search engine.

A 31 footer sounds like a good length for a couple with two children. You should have plenty of room to stay in a 31 indefinitely.

As far as the trailer and tow vehicle that you are considering, it would be wise to look at it with someone that knows Airstreams and tow vehicles. We have many knowledgeable folks on these Forums. Post when and where you plan to look at this rig, and ask for assistance. Hopefully there is a Forums Member in the area who would be willing to go and look at it with you.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Wow you all are quick

Thanks. I will check the inspectors list. The trailer and tow vehicle I'm looking at is in the Hudson Valley/Catskill region of NY State. I'm planning on seeing it around the 17th or 18th of April if there are any "inspectors" in that region and available.
jordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hello! How incredibly fortunate you are to be able to do this kind of travel at your tender age! When we started with our first RV in 2002, we bought a book at one of the big booksellers (no longer have it, so can't give you the title) that was basically A-Z on RV'ing----it covered many of the topics you are asking about, and more. We would strongly suggest you pick one of these up and read it through. It will give you a good start on general information.

We'll leave the big guys here to help you with some of those other things.

Good luck and drive safe.

Tags
cross country, excella, solar