Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
league city , Texas
looking for AS motorhome

I have been checking all the sights I can to find as much information as possible in able to make a more informed decision about problem areas to check for when purchasing a classic AS.

I have found a 1982 31' that I am going to look at in person. What areas should I look at with a critical eye. I understand that the unit is 24 years old but AS has always made a good, high quality motorhome.

I have also located a 31' diesel. Which engines were standard on these units? I have been told that some came with a Mercedes 6 cylinder and I have seen some that say Isuzu 4 cylinder diesel. If you have one of these engines could you please give all information that you think pertinent to help make a decision.

A case of aluminitis, I definitely have one.

Thanks for the help, I have definitely enjoyed being a part of this forum group, even though for only a short time.
mr. bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Welcome to the forums Mr. Bill. You've landed in the right place for your aluminitus fix.
There's a nice 31 on eBay right now as a relist that didn't bring the buyer and seller together for the 13,500 final bid. Zero feedback buyer strikes again. Looks like a nice coach.
The diesel units are Isuzu industrial engines and go a long time at 14-16 mpg. The gas units are all P30 chassis and 454 Chevy, parts and service anywhere. You won't do much maintenance on the oil burners but when you do it won't be a DIY job unless you're a real wrench.
Use the search feature or go directly to the motorhome forum for more on MOHO's.
Let us know how you make out.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. bill
I have also located a 31' diesel. Which engines were standard on these units? I have been told that some came with a Mercedes 6 cylinder and I have seen some that say Isuzu 4 cylinder diesel. If you have one of these engines could you please give all information that you think pertinent to help make a decision.
A case of aluminitis, I definitely have one.
Welcome to the forum. I hope you never get cured of your aluminitis it is so much fun to have. Airstream Classics never used a Mercedes Diesel nor a four cylinder. They use an Isuzu in line six 6BD1 if it is turbo charged the engine will say T after it. This is a workhorse engine for Isuzu used in everything from delivery trucks to fishing boats. The engine is very dependable, easy to service and find parts for. Most larger cities will have an Isuzu garage but we have even gotten service in some far away small towns. As Glenn said performance will get you 14 to 16 MPG day in and day out but do not expect to win any land speed records. 55 is tops. There is a 310 Diesel for sale in the classified now, can't say anything about it other than it has some interesting pin stripes.
Good luck with your search.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Hi Mr. Bill and welcome. My favorite is the 79 28' with rear bedroom. Great size and great look. Mine has the 454 chevy and I love it. Good luck with your search. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Mr. Bill,

You've probably browsed my site but I'll include it anyways. Happy hunting.

www.airstreammotorhomes.com
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
there is a check list posted here you can find that tells problem areas to look at....
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote