Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Locks

As some of you all know,I have a 19'Bambi.Well...I was wondering what you all did with the storage in the back of the Airstream.I have not done anything as of yet because i noticed that there is a pipe and some knobs in there.Should i make some thing to hold a few of those rubbermaid boxes in there or should i lay down some of the non skid stuff down so they dont slide around?
Also i am wondering what you all have done to put locks on the rear bumper storage?I had seen some different types of locks but dont know yet which one to get.Would removing those tabs and replacing them with something better or just leaving them on there would be ok.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Devoman.

I try not to put anything to heavy or stuff thaat can shift during travel because of those valves way in the back. Those valves BTW are your low level drain valves. You will use those to help purge water from the lines for winterizing. There are also two drain valves in the pump compartment under the dinette's streetside seat.

I ussually keep stuff like extra paper plates, napkins, my clean potable water hoses, and stuff that I know won't cause harm traveling.

When I store the AS, I do put my two weight distrib. bars for my Equilizer hitch in the back compartment, being careful not to bang into anything.

I bought a 5-pack of small Masterlocks. All use the same key. Keys seem to add up with the AS. I now have seven keys for my unit!!!

I use two locks on the tabs for the bumper storage, one lock on the water heater door, and one on the hitch lock lever thing. I also use a tongue lock to try and discourage someone eloping with my AS. Before travel, I remove all locks. It's mostly for staorage when I can't be there day and night to watch over.

You should also get a battery compartment lock. I got this one all figured out. See this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...mpartment+lock

It took me about three minutes to install this lock.

I am now seriously looking into a way to lock the propane tank cover. The last time I visited my unit, it looked like one of my tanks shifted and turned. I'm not sure if that happened during a road trip, or if someone was monkeying with them.

Hope this helps some. If you need any other advice, let us know.

Jonathan
Old 08-30-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Hey Lev, I must have bought the same set of keyed alike locks. I'm going to put a piece of duct tape around the bodies of the locks to prevent them from abrading the doors. I also store the WD hitch bars and sway control in the rear compartment but I put them in a small sturdy canvas bag to prevent scratches to the diamond plate. Ultimately I think I will put a sheet of that non-skid stuff back there to keep things from sliding around. For now, I like Devo's idea of putting everything in plastic containers.

Ever notice that large opening around the pipe that goes into the cabin? I plan on cutting a piece of plastic sheet to block that off. It seems like it would be an invitation for critters and cold.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
I've always thought that the short black pipe that sticks up in the compartment was some sort of connection for a do-it-yourself colonoscopy. Through trial and error, I found out that is just not the case....

Painfully yours.

Jonathan
Old 08-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
HA! I think I will wait for the results of your trial and error testing. Please post your findings... or not.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Locks in the winter

I have some keyed locks that I use primarly when we have the trailer in storage between trips. One is a keyed hitch lock and the other two small pad locks fit on the storage compartment that is on the rear curb side of the trailer. I normally use this compartment to store my emergency triangles, my hitch pin and some other small items.

I had the trailer winterized and on a December day got a call from the dealer that my new pocket door had been delivered. The next day I went over to the lot to pick up the trailer for transport to the dealer. We had rain the day before and the morning was well below freezing. Roads were dry though.

I got to the lot only to find that the hitch lock keyhole had water in it and was frozen to a point where the key could not be inserted all the way. After a half hour of working on it, borrowing some lock lube from the storage facility, I got the hitch lock off. I went back to pull the other two padlocks off. I wasn't worried about these because these locks had covers on the bottoms. Well I found they weren't water tight and that water had seeped in around the clasp. When I pulled off the covers (actually I had to tear them off) I found that the lock keyhole was in heavy ice.

I needed my hitch pin so I ended up hitching up, pulling the trailer to the storage facility office and got their bolt cutters. Two snips later I attempted to open the storage compartment only to find that the foam around the clamshell door was frozen to the trailer. After some carefull manipulation to avoid tearing the foam gasket, I finally got the door to drop open and retrieved the locking pin.

Lesson learned, be careful in the use of these types of locks if you are in cold climates.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

If you are going to travel with locks in cold climates perhaps a small butane torch would be a good investment to keep in the trailer. The heat from the torch would easily melt the ice and they can be had for only a few dollars and are the size of a pen.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
[QUOTE=Ever notice that large opening around the pipe that goes into the cabin? I plan on cutting a piece of plastic sheet to block that off. It seems like it would be an invitation for critters and cold.[/QUOTE]
If you are talking about the black pipe that goes under the shower,Yes it does have a space where it goes into the trailer.I was fixing the bed and when i pushed the blanket down the side of the matress i noticed that it went all the way to the hole in the back of the trailer under the bed.And you are right.Something could possibly crawl in there.I think i will be putting something there also.When i do this i will post some pics once i find a solution.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Lock the propane cover?

Quote:
I am now seriously looking into a way to lock the propane tank cover. The last time I visited my unit, it looked like one of my tanks shifted and turned. I'm not sure if that happened during a road trip, or if someone was monkeying with them.
Hey Crazylev,

Instead of locking the cover (I want to be able to kill the propane in a hearbeat if I had some leak or fire or some other emergency), I used a bicycle cable and ran that thru the 2 propane handle (collars), and down and around the frame. singe paddlelock on the bottom. Thus, I can still turn off the tanks in an emergency, but anyone who wants my tanks will need bolt cutters.

A bit of a pain to undo when I refill tanks, but that's not too often.

Rgds

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:23 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
If you are going to travel with locks in cold climates perhaps a small butane torch would be a good investment to keep in the trailer. The heat from the torch would easily melt the ice and they can be had for only a few dollars and are the size of a pen.
We always just heated the key and the lock with a match or a cigarette lighter...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
I've noticed that in my Safari. I guess I naively thought this was AS's way of protecting the storage compartment from feezing. But if critters can't get in your rear storage, they presumably can't get to that opening and to the rest of your trailer, so I think I'll leave it alone.
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:11 AM   #12
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hi Kevin.

Good thought about the bike cable. My idea would be to somehow add a lock to the tank cover and use it ONLY during storage, when I'm not around for some time. I agree with you that when out with any camper with propane tanks, you would want to have imediatre access to those valves.

I'm not that concerned about someone running off with my tanks. Just the aggravation that someone played a stupid trick like emptying one, and finding out that I have no gas on a trip.

Jonathan
Old 08-31-2005, 05:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammur
I guess I naively thought this was AS's way of protecting the storage compartment from feezing.
I hadn't thought of the freezing issue, which is a valid concern because of the drain valves in the compartment. But, if this were the case, it would seem AS could have at least installed a screened vent instead of leaving a gaping hole.