Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Little Bigger than your average bear

I am a frustrated newbie, I can't wait to get out, but mid March will be my first trip. For now I fuzz around, and nap in my 2006 19' Bambi. I knew the bathroom door was a side angle opening, but I am a bit bigger than your average bear...and although the door is nice and wide, I see it only opens a fraction. What can I do aside from the two obvious, lose weight or get new mattress? I put a foam topper on and I think I will carve that in a bit, but my concern is pressure I put on the door going in and out. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks. Sbb
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You might be able to replace the door with a bi-fold door.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Or just take the door off and hang a curtain.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Take the door off until you find a solution you really like (mattress shape, etc).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Or just take the door off and hang a curtain.
Several people I know have done this. Make a curtain of something heavy like a quilted twin bedspread, for sound deadening properties. Also if yours is a wet bath, also hang a shower curtain behind it.

There's no REAL privacy in a small Airstream - and limited privacy even in a 34' but you want as much as you can get. If you choose to use a tieback or a traverse rod that will pull the curtain to the side, you'll also be able to keep the bathroom WARM. I had a 22' CCD with the wet bath and angled bath door, but it opened much more fully (hit the dinette bench). My big complaint in winter was that the bathroom was freezing cold unless the door was left open.

Paula
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
I am a frustrated newbie, I can't wait to get out, but mid March will be my first trip. For now I fuzz around, and nap in my 2006 19' Bambi. I knew the bathroom door was a side angle opening, but I am a bit bigger than your average bear...and although the door is nice and wide, I see it only opens a fraction. What can I do aside from the two obvious, lose weight or get new mattress? I put a foam topper on and I think I will carve that in a bit, but my concern is pressure I put on the door going in and out. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks. Sbb
We have the same year and size and even if your small you have to squeeze through the door! We haven't added a topper to our bed but if yours hangs over even just a bit it will make it harder to get in there. When on the "throne" I put my feet up and the raised part to keep my knees from bumping into the door! We love our Bambi and don't have any plans to move up for a very long time but the huge shower and small sitting space used to drive me nuts! Now were more used to it. I like the bifold door idea.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #7

Olathe , Kansas
We also added a towel rack next to the toilet since there are two of us. We bought a standard towel rack from Home Depot measured the space we wanted to put it and cut the end down and installed it with one longer screw (hidden by the medicine cabinet) and one very short one so it wouldn't show through the wall. We also hung a towel rack by sink. Just measure the thickness of the wall and buy some shorter screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2426105214.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	175751   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3606546209.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	509.3 KB
ID:	175752  

Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Larger than the average bear too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
I have the same problem you do. I cut the foam topper down, but the angled door still does not open wide enough, no matter what. I just live with it.

On top of being a tight fit in width, I am tall. My belt loops perfectly align with the door knob. Most times as I go out of the door the knob handle slips right into my belt loop and grabs me.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #9

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I have the same problem you do. I cut the foam topper down, but the angled door still does not open wide enough, no matter what. I just live with it.

On top of being a tight fit in width, I am tall. My belt loops perfectly align with the door knob. Most times as I go out of the door the knob handle slips right into my belt loop and grabs me.
LOL on the belt loop! The same thing happens to us! I think that's why they changed the design of the door handle and I've even locked going out of the bathroom somehow.