Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
vancouver , british columbia
leaky used 04 28 ccd

I purchased my 28 04 airstream last month used from a dealer. Paid 48000 cad for it. I thought it was a good deal. Unfortunately there seems to be a leakage problem. A bit of water was coming through the vent i think into the shower. We get lots of rain in bc and we've had record rain the last month. The floor seems to be uneven now beside the dinette. I think the leakage is getting worse. Returning it today not sure what I'll do now. But the trailer was sitting on the lot the salesman said for 8 months and they were selling it sort of consignment for someone that had purchased it new at the same dealer. Should they not have known about the leak? The dealer is about 15 minutes and a 10 minute ferry ride away. Its been quite stressful having this issue in particular and some other issues. And although I thought the price was a good deal, it is a lot of money I would expect better service for the preminum you pay for an airstream.
annw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
According to NADA price guides, and using my currancy converter, $42K Canadian would have been high retail on that unit. Add C$1800 if it has the safari upgrade.
Don't know what to tell you. The dealer should stand behind the unit. But will he?
What is going on that you think there is a leak?

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-17-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Shouldn’t an ’04 model should still be covered by the three year AS warranty? Check it out & Good luck.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
annw,
As the new owner of a used "unit", it behooves you to take reasonable care to prevent further damages. This includes fixing any problems yourself or hiring someone with the proper skills level and knowledge to correct the problem. I know it's not what you want to hear but, this is true for anything you might purchased. Whether it be a home, car, lawn-mower or an Airstream trailer. You may or may not have certain rights that are available to you to address this, since it was a fault that didn't become apparent until the weather changed. (rain)
I would call the dealer and, see what they might able to do.
Bear in mind this fact about consignment. The dealer is under no obligation to repair the unit for you at his cost. The way it works, either the original owner gives the okay for the repair.(which means he agrees to pay the dealer for the repair) or, you may have no recourse but to pay out of your own pocket for the repair work.
You should check the original warranty paper, sales paper, etc to see if there's any warranty coverage left under the original warranty. Since it's a 2004, it's entirely possible that it has long since expire. Remember this, even tho it's an 2004 model..It could've been built-ed and sold in 2003 time frame.
You have come to the right place for info on stopping leaks, should you want to fix it yourself. Just search thru the database.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley
Shouldn’t an ’04 model should still be covered by the three year AS warranty? Check it out & Good luck.
They have a 2 year warranty, and she bought it used, so the odds are, unless it was bought new in December of 2004 (which we all know, the 2004 last sale date is in May sometime) this unit would clearly be out of warranty unless it was previously untitled and new.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
It's not entirely unknown for a 28' CCD to have a wavy floor by the dinette without any leaks. Ours had a particularly annoying floor squeak by the dinette until we took it to Jackson Center and had it fixed under warranty.

I suspect two pieces of the plywood floor meet in that area of all the 28' units. As plywood dries out over time, it curls and buckles at the joints, causing squeaks and waves. It's a problem with the way modern wood products are made, not necessarily all Airstream's fault.

It might be interesting to know just how "wavy" your floor really is. Does it feel kind of soft in the wavy area? It might not be as bad as you think.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
(which we all know, the 2004 last sale date is in May sometime) this unit would clearly be out of warranty unless it was previously untitled and new.
Just saw this...meant build date of a 2004 in May of 2004 as the 2005s started rolling off the line about then.....
Old 01-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Hmmmm. I thought warrantees began on date of purchase, and really had little to do with model year, or build date.
So that a 2004, built in May 2004, but not sold retail until say, January of 2005, would be warranteed until jan of 2007?

What with this unit changing hands near the end of the warrantee period, or shortly after, could be problematic.

I'm not familiar with trailers this new! (Gosh darn! Stamp foot and pout!) But if it is leaking through a vent, perhaps the vent wasn't closed securely! Could it be something as simple as needing a new vent seal, or gasket! At least you think its leaking into the shower and not onto the floor!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
My understanding is that the warranty begins on the date of 1st sale, but someone should talk to a dealer to be sure. Or maybe Jackson Center.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep
My understanding is that the warranty begins on the date of 1st sale, but someone should talk to a dealer to be sure. Or maybe Jackson Center.
Having worked both for new car dealers as well as manufacturers, the warranty period begins on the in-service date of the unit.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Yep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep
AgZep,
Your understanding is absolutely correct, as stated. Naturally, all the papers have to be filled out and, signed by all parties. Which are then mailed to the Airstream factory by the dealership. You, as the owner, are responsible for filling out all of the other warranty papers given you. These cover all of the appliances within the unit such as the A/C, heater, refrig, etc.Those warranties period can be only one year or more and, are spelled out according to the individual manufacture's papers given in the owner's bag.
As previously mention by Cedars, it's a simple thing to recaulk the vent..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 01-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #12
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
The consignment ploy

Quote:
Originally Posted by annw
I purchased my 28 04 airstream last month used from a dealer. Paid 48000 cad for it. I thought it was a good deal. Unfortunately there seems to be a leakage problem. A bit of water was coming through the vent i think into the shower. We get lots of rain in bc and we've had record rain the last month. The floor seems to be uneven now beside the dinette. I think the leakage is getting worse. Returning it today not sure what I'll do now. But the trailer was sitting on the lot the salesman said for 8 months and they were selling it sort of consignment for someone that had purchased it new at the same dealer. Should they not have known about the leak? The dealer is about 15 minutes and a 10 minute ferry ride away. Its been quite stressful having this issue in particular and some other issues. And although I thought the price was a good deal, it is a lot of money I would expect better service for the preminum you pay for an airstream.
I agree with you 100%. I think dealers use the consignment ploy in order to claim no responsible.

But of course, now that you no more than I'm sure you want to about warranties, perhaps you could discribe your leak in a little more detail.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:16 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
Leaky 28 04 CCD

Take the trailer to Langley RV, Brian Yates. Travelland RV, where I'm sure you bought, are not a place to get anything worked on and that is where we bought our trailer new. There are many places around to get good work/service done. PM for more info.

Ron
ronpovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:06 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It is true that the leaky bathroom vent has been seen before. If the issue is like what been seen out there, it should be a simple fix.

As has been stated, the warranty kicks in the day delivery is made and papers are signed for the first time. So if an Airstream was built in say March of 2004 (even though the 2005 models are built, titled and sold starting in May or June) and not sold until January of 2005, the warranty would in fact be valid for the first owner and any consecutive owner until January 2007. I say this because when we traded our Bambi and when we were thinking about trading the Safari, all dealers said, "oh great, it also still has warranty left", which I took as a selling point for them.

Too bad Airstream doesn't still have the lifetime warranty for the original owner. I get a BIG kick out of the folks that bought was we now call vintage units, new back in the day, are still the original owners and I think Airstream still honors that warranty. Given some of the QC issues (though they have been gettin better), I can almost understand why they don't offer the lifetime warranty to the orig owner anymore.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
The dealer may have stated it was a consignment sale but if it is on their paper, and they did all the signing, AND they try to weasel out of the repair issues, I think I'd call a lawyer for some advice. And the better business bureau. This is a very large dealer and very visible and they will not want a lot of noise around if they are not living up to their obligations, or are not treating people fairly. Certainly there's a buyer-beware factor when buying anything used, but there's also a good business factor in there somewhere too.

As a note and I cannot remember how far back, but I do remember seeing an Airstream in their lot, fairly new, had US plates on it, I think Washington State, and it had been in an accident. This may have been longer that yours was there, I honestly cannot say for sure. My memory, of late, is not what it used to be a few weeks back, but just something to be aware of. YOu may want to talk to the prior owners and ask them why they traded it in so soon after buying it.

I am very interested, as I'm sure the others are, in how well you are taken care of.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
vancouver , british columbia
an update on leak

thank you for all the replies. I believe that this trailer was purcharsed in August 03 so the 2 year warranty is definately over. Took the trailer back in a few days ago. The service department had a look at it and the leak was not coming from a vent. It was coming in through a seam or something like that. The dealer said they would fix all the damage and it would be better than coming from the airstream factory. I certainly hope they are right. I want them to replace everything thats been damaged and use all airstream parts. At least the body is aluminum so they only need to replace the fiberglass for that part i believe. I don't know a whole lot about trailers but i hope this dealer does a good job. Do electric hitches generally break? Because 3 days after it was bought, went to show it to some friends and the hitch blew. WAs told the trailer was being sold due to a divorce. Is it unreasonable to ask for them to fix other things that weren't part of the contract? Such as the screen on one window needs to be replaced? Not sure the timeline that its in the shop but have insurance on it and will not be able to use it. Weather is fairly mild and could be camping if it didn't rain so much. If i'm not happy with the work is it unreasonable to return it? Hopefully not but... They don't do returns but could make exceptions.

Curious, would there be any way to find out if it had been in an accident. i'm sure the guy is service dept stated that this trailer had been there for at least a year.
annw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
You might try

Quote:
Originally Posted by annw
thank you for all the replies. I believe that this trailer was purchased in August 03 so the 2 year warranty is definitely over. Took the trailer back in a few days ago. The service department had a look at it and the leak was not coming from a vent. It was coming in through a seam or something like that. The dealer said they would fix all the damage and it would be better than coming from the Airstream factory. I certainly hope they are right. I want them to replace everything thats been damaged and use all Airstream parts. At least the body is aluminum so they only need to replace the fiberglass for that part i believe. I don't know a whole lot about trailers but i hope this dealer does a good job. Do electric hitches generally break? Because 3 days after it was bought, went to show it to some friends and the hitch blew. Was told the trailer was being sold due to a divorce. Is it unreasonable to ask for them to fix other things that weren't part of the contract? Such as the screen on one window needs to be replaced? Not sure the time-line that its in the shop but have insurance on it and will not be able to use it. Weather is fairly mild and could be camping if it didn't rain so much. If I'm not happy with the work is it unreasonable to return it? Hopefully not but... They don't do returns but could make exceptions.

Curious, would there be any way to find out if it had been in an accident. I'm sure the guy is service dept stated that this trailer had been there for at least a year.
annw,
At this point, I really don't see what you have to lose by asking them to repair the screen..It's not that costly of an item..it just might take time for them to get the replacement in from the factory..(if they have to order it)
I've alway told people this one important thing..
Make sure the floor-plan suits your needs and lifestyle.
As to returning it.That's a judgment call that only you can decide. I would say this in defense of the Airstream products..You haven't seen the problems that you can get into with some of the other brands..I almost have to say the worse Airstream I ever seen was pale in comparison to what you might run into with some of the other SOB out there..
As for the electric hitch, did the in-line fuse blow or was it the electric motor itself?? It's not common but, the fuse is design to blow..there have been some issues with wire being pinched in the past. Have your tech check the routing of the wire.
Good luck to you in all your resolutions..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit