Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Jack to change tires

Hey all. Looking for recos on car jack models to use in case I need to swap a wheel on my Airstream Bambi 2020 while on the road. I got a floor jack at home but on the road, what should I go with? Before you ask, I don’t have one in my TV so if I’m going to buy one, I was thinking of one that would fit my trailer specs. All brand/model suggestions welcome. What do folks here use? Thanks.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If I need to lift my trailer I put a hydraulic bottle jack securely underneath the axle flange (between the fore and aft wheels on my double axle, but you might want to go just behind the wheel on a single-axle trailer.)

A bottle jack allows you have have a fairly compact package but adjust the starting height up with the screw portion of the jack, so you have more lifting range without having to have either a tall jack or a stack of blocks on or under the jack.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Under the Bambi, most likely to the rear of the axle, there should be a jack point. There is where you would jack the Bambi up from. There is, best as I can recall only one place approved to jack up an Airstream. I recall the first time I was at the factory and saw my trailer jacked up and thought it odd that it would be lifted behind the axle toward the back of the trailer, but that appears to be where the jack point has been located. Mine actually has "jack here" stickers and a plate attached to the underbelly where to place jack onto underside.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If I need to lift my trailer I put a hydraulic bottle jack securely underneath the axle flange (between the fore and aft wheels on my double axle, but you might want to go just behind the wheel on a single-axle trailer.)

A bottle jack allows you have have a fairly compact package but adjust the starting height up with the screw portion of the jack, so you have more lifting range without having to have either a tall jack or a stack of blocks on or under the jack.

I agree a bottle jack is a great tool to have with you, and I'm not sure if we are talking the same location, but I have done what sounds like this similar thing, and I have also noticed that it has slightly deformed the lip of the bottom of the area where the jack is placed when putting between a dual (or triple) axle trailer as you suggest. Even on multi axle trailers the best practice and supported location when using a jack is always aft trailer at the indicated jack point as a first and primary location, unless of course you are in a situation where you cannot get a jack under that area of the trailer. The other method when possible on a multi axle trailer is to roll the good tire, same side onto a pad (similar to leveling the trailer when parking), lifting the bad wheel off the ground (which is not an option for single axle trailers.

Single axles have but one choice, the trailer must be lifted from the aft jack point.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Thanks. How high would the bottle jack need to go to work on a Bambi and is 2-ton enough?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Thanks. How high would the bottle jack need to go to work on a Bambi and is 2-ton enough?
A 2-ton would probably be enough since you're only lifting one side and not the tongue, but if I were buying I'd buy a bit more just to have a more generally-useful device.

You don't need to lift much from the standard height, but need to be able to adjust the starting height of the pad at the top of the jack to be pretty close to the jack point (whether you find the mystical Airstream point or use the axle flange.) An 8- or 9- inch lift range should do it... mine's just a generic old Craftsman bottle jack I bought long before my first Airstream, nothing special.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
On our 2019 NEST it is pretty easy to tell where to place a small bottle jack. But this bracket is pretty low to the ground. So if a tire is flat ,the bottle jack will need to pretty short, especially if you add a block under the jack.

I was looking at jacks yesterday but haven’t bought one yet. I plan to get a short 2 ton jack and use 1/2 or 3/4” thick plywood for the block under the jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Point.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	351913  
BeSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I have a small floor jack that I purchased at NAPA that does not weight much more then a bottle jack. I purchased it for my TV but it would also work on the AS, it is Light weight and fits in the plastic box I use for my misc trailer stuff.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I agree with all above that a bottle jack is a great tool to have with you. With a tandem axle you could carry "Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp" available on Amazon.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
A 2-ton would probably be enough since you're only lifting one side and not the tongue, but if I were buying I'd buy a bit more just to have a more generally-useful device.

You don't need to lift much from the standard height, but need to be able to adjust the starting height of the pad at the top of the jack to be pretty close to the jack point (whether you find the mystical Airstream point or use the axle flange.) An 8- or 9- inch lift range should do it... mine's just a generic old Craftsman bottle jack I bought long before my first Airstream, nothing special.

Ok. Thanks. And would someone happen to know the lug nut size on a 2020 Bambi. Documentation I got doesn’t seem to stipulate it and I park my AS at a storage facility between trips. Would like to buy the right socket for my torque wrench and be all equipped for my next outing.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
I hate bottle Jack's, especially when you have a flat. They are too tall to get under an axle and hard to position. A much better option is a good scissor jack. The ones in Chevy trucks are the best. Compact, wider surface, and is ratchet driven.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
I carry a bottle jack with stand like this. https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/pow...yABEgInpvD_BwE
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
What Pappy19 said. When a flat happens it will prob be in the worst possible location and time. On single axle the frame will be too low to get a bottle jack under the frame, and a scissor jace is impossible to screw up when closed and under a heavy weight. I have needed and used both types of jacks together and even had to borrow a third. Hopefully you will never have to change a flat: keep an eye on your tires. Good luck.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
What Pappy19 said. When a flat happens it will prob be in the worst possible location and time. On single axle the frame will be too low to get a bottle jack under the frame, and a scissor jace is impossible to screw up when closed and under a heavy weight. I have needed and used both types of jacks together and even had to borrow a third. Hopefully you will never have to change a flat: keep an eye on your tires. Good luck.

What about an electric jack then? Like this one. Would fit in a tight space and electrical motor would lift?

ROGTZ Electric Car Floor Jack 3 Ton All-in-one Automatic 12v Scissor Lift Jack for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075679K9Q..._pusEDbG4C5NB7
Old 09-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
I’m reconsidering the use of a bottle jack for changing out a flat on our NEST 16U. Here’s why…

The Jack pad is only 10 1/4” off the ground. The 2 ton bottle jack I was considering has a lift range form 6 7/8” to 13 3/16”. With a piece of 1/2” plywood underneath the jack, there is only 2 7/8” clearance above the jack with the 16in tire fully inflated. So a bottle jack would work for changing fully inflated tires. But I would need to pull the flat tire up onto leveling blocks to get the lift point high enough to slip the bottle jack under it. And none of this takes into consideration how high I’d need to lift the frame to get the tire off the ground

I suspect that a 2020 Bambi 16 has similar clearances.
BeSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSerious View Post
I’m reconsidering the use of a bottle jack for changing out a flat on our NEST 16U. Here’s why…

The Jack pad is only 10 1/4” off the ground. The 2 ton bottle jack I was considering has a lift range form 6 7/8” to 13 3/16”. With a piece of 1/2” plywood underneath the jack, there is only 2 7/8” clearance above the jack with the 16in tire fully inflated. So a bottle jack would work for changing fully inflated tires. But I would need to pull the flat tire up onto leveling blocks to get the lift point high enough to slip the bottle jack under it. And none of this takes into consideration how high I’d need to lift the frame to get the tire off the ground

I suspect that a 2020 Bambi 16 has similar clearances.

It’s a Bambi 22’ actually but yes, clearance should be similar. What about the above electric scissor jack I posted?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pleasantville , New Jersey
Quote:
I got a floor jack at home but on the road, what should I go with?
I'm not a jack expert but I did stay at a Trump hotel last night!

Seriously, an old salt advised me to go with the floor jack, even on the road, in case you're forced to change a tire on a slope where an unlevel bottle jack could prove hazardous.
Danbertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
I agree with all above that a bottle jack is a great tool to have with you. With a tandem axle you could carry "Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp" available on Amazon.
If you carry “waffles” for leveling your rig, they work just as well, and one less item to store and carry.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Cat jack

Before you buy a jack, check to see if your tow vehicle Jack will work. I have a Grand Cherokee and the scissors jack works with one modification.
It has a tab that fits into the Jeep frame. I am currently using a old tennis shoe, putting the heel over the top of the Jack to pad the trailer. I would like to find a dense foam or rubber pad to replace the old shoe.
We have a sport 16 and storage is a valuable commodity, especially when traveling with 2 bikes.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport 16 STL View Post
Before you buy a jack, check to see if your tow vehicle Jack will work. I have a Grand Cherokee and the scissors jack works with one modification.
It has a tab that fits into the Jeep frame. I am currently using a old tennis shoe, putting the heel over the top of the Jack to pad the trailer. I would like to find a dense foam or rubber pad to replace the old shoe.
We have a sport 16 and storage is a valuable commodity, especially when traveling with 2 bikes.

I tow with a Model X. It does not have a jack, or a spare for that matter. ;-)

So, I’m really buying a jack for the Airstream only.