Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We just got back from a week of boondocking north east of Barstow, Ca. out in the desert. It was perfect. Around 105 to 110 during the day and in the 80's at night. Probably %3-5 humidity.

We're happiest between 80 and 115 degrees. Of course when it gets into the 60's we're wearing coats.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Spent four days for a long weekend up at Lake Tahoe last week...mid 80's with coooool 60's at night, just great!

A gaggle of jocks were in town for the Tahoe sports celeb golf tourney...Barkley and Jordan towered over everybody, but it was great weather for the fun event...

Alas, we're back home here in the valley below Sacramento, sweating away with mid 90's - spending lots of time around the old swimmin' hole in our back yard, reminding myself that its 'five O'clock somewhere'....

Ray
Old 07-24-2010, 02:54 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
NEVER too hot to camp :-) We wrapped up having the grand kids for a week where they averaged 6+ hours a day in the pool. My wife and I just needed a quiet retreat for a few days. Hooked up and went to North Toledo Bend SP here in Louisiana. Yes, it was HOT.. but the large fan I had for outside made it nice. During the hottest part of the day we relaxed inside the camper. We camped during the week so the park was nice a quiet. I will say that even though a previous camper had left some nice firewood, the thought to build a fire NEVER crossed my mind :-)
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:35 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Yep, the only good use for fire down here in Louisiana right now is to burn off the oil slick.

At 80F in the early morning dew and 98F in the afternoon sun, with humidity to match, it's no joy right now. I've got the dehumidifier running in the parked Airstream, and it's about overwhelmed.

There's a tropical front moving this way from Florida. Whoopeeee.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
We are averaging 99 per day and 75 at night...I have been working on this (sort of big) restoration mural. So to beat the heat I decided to go there at night and do the paint work...well....there are hornets-blister beatles whoops! -beetles (sorry Paul)...and thousands of mosquitoes and numerous other bugs. Humidity to boot.UGH! I will be glad to get out of this area and into the more favored parts of the country.
Where are you?
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Right now Altus Oklahoma --right down (in what I call the 'armpit') southwest corner.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Thanks, we are thinking of moving to the SE area and will steer clear.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #28
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Right about now I am wondering just how long it's going to take to finish our A/S and escape to those with cooler temps.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Thanks, we are thinking of moving to the SE area and will steer clear.
Southeast is much better I bet (more trees) and you are closer to Arkansas - which is awesome.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hot here too

in central FL. In the low tripple digits and h-u-m-i-d. But, went camping last week and even sat by the fire. Though our chairs were a bit further from the flames than ususal. Thankfully the campground was very shady and we took a couple big fans and parked some personal misters in front. We were not overly cool but, in shorts & bikini tops, comfortable enough. And retreating to the air conditioner inside the trailer in the evening was delightful!

I sat one of the Cobra Misters on the roof of the AS while I was sealing seams last summer. It does cool the air temp a bit!

Laura

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
My GOSH, Who camps in this weather? Well in Texas anyway. 103 degrees here during the day and not below 80 at night....Too hot to go outside in the evenings. Too hot to get a fire going, it's nuts. I'd rather stay at home. I miss my Airstream and taking her out, but since I'm not retired weekend warriors is what we are but I can't get north far enough in the amount of time alloted to get somewhere cool. The Spring was awesome, every weekend. The first part of the summer was ok because of our Keys Vacation NEXT to the WATER!!! But DANG!!!!

I have her plugged up in the driveway with the a/c set on 99.

I CAN"T wait till the FALL!!!!!!

Just say'n.

SHane

Try a weekend at Turner Falls up at Davis, OK. Water in their swimmin' hole is cold all summer (spring fed), and it's fun to swim out under the waterfall. Summer camping should be all about water.
mimiandrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #32
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Algonquin Park, today's high 73 low 55. Tomorrow sunny with cloudy periods, 75/53.

Algonquin Provincial Park
Old 07-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
We're out in the new A/S in Harpers Ferry, WV where it's 102 degrees and humid. Very disappointed in our A/C unit - the best it could do was to cool the inside to 90 degrees. Is that normal? We were taking a direct hit from the afternoon sun on the front of the trailer, which is the only side with no awnings, of course! Our fridge is registering 59 degrees even though it's set on the coldest setting. So far I'm not impressed - very disappointed, in fact!
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
Thumbs down The heat

Do not know how people in the SW handle summers! Manitoba is the only place on the map which looks cool enough right now! So envious of Washington State folks! 70's, late sun rise and sets! Wow...sounds good to me!

Here in the Midwest, we have had our buttons pushed for three weeks; our ground is cracking already it has been so dry. In fact, the weather has been hot, hot, hotter, humid/hot, hottest/more humid, and plain insufferable. Then, last night's rain storms rolled through and now many communities were flooded, w/opower, and miserable. Seems eerily familiar to the scorching summer of a few years ago.
Lucy815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Don't miss Dallas. But, recommend Turner Falls, Meridian, Daingerfield, Mountain Fork. All pretty good . . lot's of beer and nothing to do rounds it out fine. Our biggest decision was when to cook the steaks. Get up extra early, siesta from 2-8, and it works..

I know . . just head on out to Lake Pat Mayes, up by Paris. That's as good as it gets this time of year.

Just BE SURE to have shade. A box fan across the legs and a an oscillator across the head keeps the skeeters away.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We're out in the new A/S in Harpers Ferry, WV where it's 102 degrees and humid. Very disappointed in our A/C unit - the best it could do was to cool the inside to 90 degrees. Is that normal? We were taking a direct hit from the afternoon sun on the front of the trailer, which is the only side with no awnings, of course! Our fridge is registering 59 degrees even though it's set on the coldest setting. So far I'm not impressed - very disappointed, in fact!
Hi, if you have skylights, bare aluminum interior walls, and large wrap around windows, it makes it just that much harder for your air conditioner to work.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Misspelled the above

Lake Pat Mayse

Use the West campground (rule of thumb) but drive both first (shade). "East" has beach for swimming. Both have electric (reservations). Corps of Engineers.

Corps Lakes Gateway: Texas - Pat Mayse Lake

Take I-30E to Exit 101 (for Google Map directions).

It's a bummer -- in Dallas, in August -- that Salida is over 700 miles.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
You guys in the east are enduring what we did in South Texas last year. By this time last year we had over 40 days of 100+ temperatures. This year the thermometer has not gotten above 94 on my front porch: now humidity...that is another matter. We're going camping in Colorado next week.
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just got back from the Colorado Rockies. The best place we boondocked was near Wolf Creek Pass, elevation approximately 9,000 feet. Mid-70's during the day and mid-40's at night. We were camped in the trees, so lots of shade. Take lots of deet, though, as there were some mosquitos (not as bad as Yellowstone). Short, mild thunderstorms and playing in the nearby stream kept everyone cool and occupied in the afternoons.

My wife wants to keep this place secret, but it was about 7 miles north of the Wolf Creek Pass Ski Area, on a side road off of Highway 160 that goes to a campground. We only drove a couple of hundred yards and pulled off into a clearing in the trees and never made it to the campground.

As a side note, it was a tight fit for our 19-foot Bambi, and it took some maneuvering and lots of backing to get into and out of the shaded clearing. However, there were other spots not so far into the trees. We camped here three days and had absolutely no other campers in the area. The stream was about 50 feet from our trailer. -- Heaven!

As the two week road trip continued, we all wished we had stayed here the whole two weeks...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Whoa, is this typical of the new Airstreams? Not good at all.
JakeSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote