Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Talking It's home!!!!!

WOW I finally have my new baby home. The Iron Giant is at the house. The cleaning has begun. How do I keep form over doing it???

I have a Certificate of purchase, as it was abandoned. It is a California built trailer. I have fround a registration sticker for the state of Arkansas on the inside of the A frame. My guess is to see if Arkansas requires a title and go from there. If not, then I will just apply for a Illinios title and that will end the paper work. I do not think that I will have to put plates on it, it is not going anywhere for a looooong time. (Wonder what it would cost to take it back to Ohio for "refit" )

Insurance is not too bad, around $15 a mo.

Now to contain myself and not over do it the first week. New pictures uploaded to my photo gallery.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:31 PM   #2
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Congratulations!!!

It's a real beauty!! I was expecting to see a heap!
Have fun

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:55 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That is a real charmer. I can see why you went to get it....

One question though....being familiar with the Chicagoland area, I know some villages tend to have RV rules. If the neighbors aren't cool, sometimes that can cause problems.

Do you see any problems with it in your driveway like that?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
judge, jury, ex......

oops that another thread isnt it?

Great unit, have a great time restoring it. Park it as you see fit.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Ted,
Congratulations...LET THE FUN BEGIN! How about some interior pictures, it does have one of those...doesn't it?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Yes there is a what you might call an interor, I should have photots of the inside tomorrow or Monday.

As for the "Driveway laws" I'm not sure, but at the end of the block is a Soveran next to the garage. I have had two neighbors already come over and admire the new project. I think it may be cool if I get the rear end cleaned up. My drive looked like a used implament dealer for almost two years without a complaint. The only grief I will get is from my side of the family. I'm the only "blue coller" one in the group.

I most likely will check in with the police department and let them know that I plan on moving it to the side yard in the summer. Then it will be behind a fence out of sight. The fence is more so no one will know if it is "out" or not.

I have just found out that the last person living in the trailer was a 5X jacket wearing dude that spent some time in the local department of corrections. Looks like I'm missing the entire street side of the bathroom. Man I can't wait for the manual to arrive. Where can I get the service and parts manuals???
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 01-24-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: It's home!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by till

I have fround a registration sticker for the state of Arkansas on the inside of the A frame. My guess is to see if Arkansas requires a title and go from there. If not, then I will just apply for a Illinios title and that will end the paper work.
Now to contain myself and not over do it the first week. New pictures uploaded to my photo gallery.
Ted, As of 2002, Arkansas required only a bill of sale. There was some talk about going to titles like other states, but as far as I know, it hasn't happened yet.
Good luck with your new money pit!
Terry
Old 01-24-2004, 06:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
It's home!!!!!

Greetings Ted!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Man I can't wait for the manual to arrive. Where can I get the service and parts manuals???
Unfortunately, the only manuals that were published by Airstream in 1967 were the Owners' Manual which was still in its infancy (1964 was the first year for Airstream's Owners' Manual). If the '67 version of the Owners' Manual is anything like the '64 Owners' Manual, it will be sparsely illustrated, but well written. If you haven't found an Owners' Manual, a photo copy of the original can be obtained from the following source:

Quote:
Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.
Good luck with your new acquisition!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Owners' Manual

Overlander64 is right. Finally an area I know about.
We contacted Helen Davis, and they had just what we needed! Quick and easy.
tin can luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 04:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Well my owner's manual arrived in the mail yesterday!!! It does have the floor plans and mechanical schematics for the different systems. I'm about half way through reading it.

Using the method in the manual (adding the car weight to the trailer weight and divide by the listed horse power of the car) I hit 40 hp per pound. Right on the edge of the published sweet spot.

I have uploaded some pictures of the interor. It is not pretty. The wife and I have got the reconfigured floor plan down on paper.

Should I start new threads for my questions that are building up?? Like should I make the trailer water tight now, or after I gut it?? Will a tarp over the top for temporary weatherproofing cause problems (other than for my neighbors )??
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 01-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #11
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
tedd

your trailer looks alot better than i imagined!

b.t.w., i looked at a 67 amb. like yours, for a friend to purchase. same layout except the kitchen was reversed.

it was in not much better shape, the guy wanted 3500 bucks because it was a airstream.

needless to say we passed.

good luck on your purchase, looks like your trailer has lots of possibilitys!

john
Old 01-26-2004, 07:42 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That darn new math...

Quote:
Using the method in the manual (adding the car weight to the trailer weight and divide by the listed horse power of the car) I hit 40 hp per pound. Right on the edge of the published sweet spot.

)??
Wow! A 40,000 horsepower car!!! Can I borrow it? Please? Huh? Can I??
Anyway, good luck with the trailer. Do you think you can have it done in time for the Florida rally at the end of Feb.? Seriously,how much floor rot have you found so far? Do you think you can save anything of the interior? Have you been able to check any of the equipment in it yet? Of course, if you spend all your time answering my questions, you will never have time to work on your trailer...
Terry
Old 01-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
LMAO!!!!

Terry, you cought me. Happy fingers. That is 40 lbs per hp.

If I can find a 40,000 hp car you can drive it.

In order,
I have found floor rot where the access panels are missing, but have not pulled the carpet up yet. I plan on saving as much as I can. The wardrobe and broom closet will be saved and all the over head lockers too. The sinks and "medi-chest" also. Not sure what to do with the interoir skin, it has been painted. As for equipment well there is none other than the LP regulator and it looks iffy. Heck both the water and black water tanks are MIA. I do have the Uni-volt and breaker panel?!?!?!

I will be removing the sleeper sofa, carpet and old mattres before the weather gets warm. I can smell the cats that lived in there with the temp at 20 deg. F !! Then it is tarp it up till spring. I have to finish the basment first. In the mean time, I'm asking questions and taking notes. Saving pennies for the big purchases that are sure to come. The projected dates are; road worthy by 2006, livable by 2007 and done by 2008. Of course, if I hit the lotyery I'm sending it to Ohio for the factory to finish Along with an order for a custom 34 footer.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 01-29-2004, 05:22 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I will be removing the sleeper sofa, carpet and old mattres before the weather gets warm. I can smell the cats that lived in there with the temp at 20 deg. F !! Then it is tarp it up till spring. I have to finish the basment first. In the mean time, I'm asking questions and taking notes. Saving pennies for the big purchases that are sure to come. The projected dates are; road worthy by 2006, livable by 2007 and done by 2008. Of course, if I hit the lotyery I'm sending it to Ohio for the factory to finish Along with an order for a custom 34 footer. [/B]
Ted, it might be a good idea to remove all the carpeting before it gets warm outside, too. The voice of experience here says the cats didn't just hose down the couch. You might also want to mix up a big bucket of bleach and water, and wipe down the walls and other furnishings to cut down the aroma.
I have seen it advised that the LP regulator gets changed out after sitting, or when it gets old. I think yours qualifies for both.
Now, if you just dig your basement about four feet deeper, you could back the trailer inside and work on it all winter.
Terry