Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Jefferson , Louisiana
I saw my first Airstream 34 this past weekend. Wow...I have good taste. I have decided this is exactly what I want. Unfortunately it was not "The One". I am still on the prowl. Trying to limit my search to within 500 miles of New Orleans, but if necessary I'm willing to travel further. It will be used primarily as a home on two pieces of property, one in the Big Thicket of East Texas, and another in between Houston and San Antonio. And of course, I hope to do some sight seeing across this great nation of ours. I am searching high and low, so if anyone has leads, your assistance will be graciously received!
TXAG03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Here is one in Illinois, probably outside your range. The price seems about right to me, maybe even a bit on the low side.

2001 AIRSTREAM 34FT. CLASSIC LIMITED RV TRAILER | eBay

Or if you are wanting one you can truly make your own, here is a fixer upper (needs interior renovation as well as at least one panel replaced IMO).

Airstream Classic Limited 34, Airstream, Airstream Classic, Airstream Trailer in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

Keep your eyes open, they pop up on Craigs list from time to time. And also here:

Vintage Airstream Classifieds | New & Used Airstream Trailers For Sale

And don't forget the airforums.com classifieds! Late Model Airstream Trailers, Used (1987 - 2012) - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

Good luck with your search! Philip
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We love our 34'. My wife and I just finished a caravan up the Blue Ridge Parkway which included camping in National campgrounds with no hookups. We found a spot which fit our 34' perfectly. It tows very well even with our F150!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We loved our 34's (have had two of them). In fact, when we bought a new one, the dealer literally sold our old one that day. Point being, if you go the 34 route you may need to be ready to buy quickly.

We've had ours to the White Mountains, Death Valley and endless other places. My only caution would be that a shorter length can be a benefit in some of the older state and national parks - sometimes more site selections.

The 34's have a pretty healthy tongue weight so you want to make sure you have a decent tow vehicle and WD system. But the 34's tow great, and I still think the 34 is one of the best looking AS's.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Jefferson , Louisiana
You know what they say about opinions (if you don't PM me and i'll fill you in...not appropriate for public forums). Anyway, this is the trailer that wasn't "The One", and I'd like to get your opinion of it.
1986 Airstream Excella 34 foot in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors
I saw it in person, and a few things bothered me the most...lower rear driver side corner panel is pretty beat up, and there is a hole about the size of a quarter in the rear panel. Second is the main entry door was ~ 3/4" separated at the top and base, as though it had flung open during transport. There is visible water damage on the wooden laminated flooring at the doorway. Everything seemed to work, however no upgrades made on major appliances.
What do y'all think?
Thank you!
~Will
TXAG03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
I can't talk about any other size because the 34'ftr is all i have owned. There is no one but my wife and I that travels but if I were buying again no one could sell me anything less. The 34 tows so well I have never used an anti-sway bar. I use only the basic weight distributing hitch and never had a problem. Backing into a spot is amazingly easy. I really don't know of any drawbacks to a 34. Yes i'd do it all over again.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
The Ebay pictures make it look good. I noted there are no photos showing the damage you mentioned from your inspection. That's why inspections are so important! The way you describe the door, it most definitely is sprung. That can be corrected and the Airstream website has a how-to. The big issues would be the floor damage. How deep does it go? Is it surface only or does it go into the subfloor? Also the hole and dent in the back. I could live with a dent, but not a hole.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:19 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
Hey Will,

We're from N.O. as well. Live on the Westbank. We bought a 31' back in March. But we're also considering bumping up to a 34' AS. We are in the process of transitioning to the "Full-timers" lifestyle & think it'll be a wise move. How's your search going?
2 Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote