Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2002, 07:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Insurance

In the process of buying a new Airstream... called my insurance agent for Farmers and full coverage (collision, liability, comprehensive) on the trailer added on to my car policy is only $60 per 6 months.

I contacted Foremost and they want $647/year for a separate trailer policy.

Is my auto insurance company leaving out coverage such that I would want to spend that much more for a separate policy?
Old 12-12-2002, 07:41 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Dan,
Yes or no, depending upon how you use your trailer. Ask Foremost to send a sample copy of their policy to you and take it to your Farmer's agent and ask them to compare theirs with Foremost. They should do this happily and point out the differences. Often times, it comes down to the treatment of contents, awnings, rodent damage, and things that are generally excluded from your auto cover, which is basically what your trailer cover from Farmers is attached to. Foremost is more like a blend between a homeowners policy and an auto policy.

I'm in Edina, where are you getting your A/S? New or used? What size/model?

Jace
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 07:49 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Dan,

The other thing to look at is if you are getting a new trailer Foremost coverage is "replacemet" coverage for up to 5? years. This means if the trailer is totaled they just buy you a new one. Your other insurance is more than likely an ACV or actual cash value (book value) coverage, so if you were financing you could end up losing the trailer in an accident, and still having to make payments.

I would compare them, or as Jace said get your agent to tell you why one is so much less than the other.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 07:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I check that out too....

Farmers and Foremost merged about a year ago. Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I currently have Foremost, but will be changing in March when my coverage ends and I won't be going back. They are too high compared to others and they depreciate the aluminum on Airstreams.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 08:17 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
Dan,

The other thing to look at is if you are getting a new trailer Foremost coverage is "replacemet" coverage for up to 5? years. This means if the trailer is totaled they just buy you a new one.
One additional thing when insuring a new trailer with Foremost is that in years 6-10 if your trailer is totaled, they will pay you back the original cost of your trailer. At that point that may not buy a new A/S but it will make a considerable down payment.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I just spoke with my Nationwide Insurance agent about my policy. I pay $18.40 for FULL coverage, as long as it is hooked to my vehicle that the rider is attached to. If the trailer is stolen or a tree falls on it while it is unhooked from the truck, I am still covered. Bear in mind, that I have a vintage unit that is valued at $7000, not a new $60,000 unit.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 03:55 PM   #8

As mentioned in an earlier post, I was entertaining the thought of buying a new trailer. It is a 1996, 30' Llimited, with all the goodies. I ran a quick quote with RV Alliance Ins. and they came back with $474. The price of the trailer is $27,000. I received this quote at 4 o'clock this afternoon. Bear in mind, that this quote was for the state of Alabama. As this was where I was going to home base. I don't know if this makes a diff or not.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 06:08 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Smile I was surprised...

when my agent (AARP's Hartford Insurance) said our coverage for a brand new '03 Bambi would only add $95 every 6 months to our policy premium. It is considered an extension of our tow vehicle (of course it's 3X the tow vehicle's value). Also, when you think about it, unlike the truck, the Bambi isn't able to harm or injure anyone by itself, since it doesn't have an engine. Therefore, we only need replacement coverage, not liability.

Now an '03 Airstream Motorhome -- I'm sure THAT's a different story altogether!

Cherie
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 07:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
But if a guest or visitor hurts themselves, IN ANY WAY, from the trailer, be it inside or out, you better make sure you have liability insurance.
Also when the trailer is disconnected from the tow vehicle, the trailer no longer has any coverage.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 08:56 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
As I remeber the Liability coverages from my Homeowners insurance were in effect whe the trailer was "Unattached" to the tow vehicle. The homeowners liabilty usally has a provision for boats or RV's. But I would check your policies to be sure.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:09 AM   #12
hex

Question Lookin' Back

When and why did Airstream get out of the Insurance business?

According to Owners Manual
In 1974 they offered:

Exclusive Caravanner Travel Trailer Insurance Plan
"A complete comprehensive policy,including these five big bonus benefits at no additional cost:
1) Collision Coverage (low deductable)
2) Theft coverage against personal effects
3) Personal effects coverage against damage or loss by collision etc.
4) Vacation expense allowance
5) Mexico travel coverage (90 days)

And, there are no other deductables.
Program also includes complete protection against these losses: fire, lightning, explosion, windstorm, hail, landslide, flood, all accessories, vandalism, and other perils.

It says that over 25,000 Airstream owners were covered. Says that there is fast claim service coast to coast. The program was underwritten by Central Natl. Insurance Co. of Omaha Nebraska.

There was also (for extra premium) a hospital/accident/death policy offered to the Airstream group, which paid double if occurance happened while on a trip with your Airstream.
Carravanner Insurance's office was at 2411 West Third St. in LA,Ca.

What is the estimated number of Airstreams in use today I wonder.

Seems to me that such a limited venture on a group might still make sense for an underwriter. Being as it is the pride of ownership, and longevity of these tin-cans. I would expect no fire however due to the arson increase on personal property these days as well as the incidence of home-grown jury-rigged rewiring on some refurb units. I would also like towing and temporary storage covered.
I know one of us here on the forum is an insurance 'mogul',... what say you ?

Have the Wallyites ever had or explored a group insurance deal?
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Airstream decided to get out of the insurance business many years ago. Caravanner insurance was managed by J. E. Wells company in Pasadena, California.

Wells, purchased Caravanner, kept it for a few years and then sold it to some interests in Miami, with an office in Dallas.

Unfortunately, it was not managed very well, nor did they really have anyone that had some mechanical knowledge, on their staff.

Therefore claims handling went down the tubes, along with underwriting.

Caravanner Insurance, at one point, was the number one insurance carrier for the Airstream products.

I was Caravanners only "Special Representative" from late 69 to late 73. I wrote the only "crash" book back then, and it is still used today. Additionally, I traveled the country training Airstream dealer service and parts department employees, and implemented the crash book with them. My territory was USA

I also took care of most of the major collision and comp losses, such as hail, tornado's, hurricanes, etc., wherever they might be.

It was necessary, many months, for me to fly 25000 to 30000 miles, back and forth across the country, to take care of those claims, and then return to my Airstream that was parked at some dealers lot to resume the training.

We had a small staff, but the company was always the leader, because of the best employees, in the insurance business.

I also designed, and implemented, the "why you lost control of your Airstream" research program, that proved over and over again, why it happens, by various categories.

The bottom line over all answer, without going into specifics, was being improperly rigged, "TO SAVE A BUCK." Yet the foolishness continues today.

You can preach and tell people how to do it to be safe, but for all too many, the "buck" brain washed them.

It was fun, in a way, but it did take 80 to 100 hours a week, to get it all done.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 08:20 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

I have heard of Foremost being slow to pay and nit picking claims. They even cancelled a friend of mine after his first claim.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
My agent said that the $60/6 mo. extension to my personal auto policy covers trailer collision, comprehensive and in-motion liability. He claims that in-motion liability when towed by my company car would be covered by it's insurance. General liability (non auto-accident) for injury in or around the trailer is covered by my homeowners, along with contents theft or damage.