Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Inspection--I wish I hadn't

I was asked to look at a '59 Airstream...only about 7 miles from my house, for a person....enlisted moderators' help....and I did that, with my wife.

Now the Airstream has been "refused". The Ebay lister (here is Tucson) has enlisted my help in finding a buyer.

My advice to you is NEVER go out and "inspect" for another.

The moderator apparently has no help to offer; I am left with an unhappy seller. We told the truth.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
why feel bad? If you told the truth and the buyer did not buy, so be it. You saved them a headache. The seller should get real and advertise it the way it is.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
"Why feel bad"? Because I am now getting phone calls from the seller....I want out of this!

Kistler
Old 11-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Your obligation was to the potential buyer, not the seller.
I'm guessing he doesn't get it though.
Gently explain that he needs to stop calling, or otherwise you'll be forced to take the appropriate steps to make him stop if he won't do it voluntarily.
Jeff
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
We feel badly about this....it just is/was not the right buyer for the Airstream... it is really nice for a '59. It is the same age as my oldest son

The body is not damaged but it is dirty and needs new everything (except cupboards) inside.

My wife and the prospective buyer's wife seem to have decided it wasn't for them/us

Kistler
Old 11-14-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't think you should beat yourself up for trying your honest best. Some people enjoy doing inspections, others get too personally invested in the outcome.

Politely tell the seller to quit bothering you.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I will have to call them back....I just feel sorry. I really think the '59 is a good deal at $3500....but it is a fixer-upper. What impressed me is the outside shell and the original cabinetry are really untouched AND it is 47 years old.

I'll get over it/this! Thank you for understanding; I do feel responsible.

Kistler
Old 11-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Maybe you could suggest to the seller to list it here in our classifieds instead of or in addition to relisting it on ebay. I'm sure there is a buyer out there...

Sounds like the biggest issue is the inspection was done after the auction closed...and then the buyer backed out.

I actually had a similar situation come up, a local VAC member and friend of mine was selling their trailer and someone through the forums asked me to inspect it. I am NOT on the inspectors list, but I gave my opinion because I knew the trailer and was going to be in the area anyway. This was not an ebay sale, so there was no real commitment (closed auction) but the sale did not go through. I too felt bad, but felt very good I was honest with my opinion. The trailer was actually in great shape and very well done...it was just highly "decorated", thus at a premium price and the buyer did not like the style. The way things were done, they couldn't be undone easily and the buyer could have found a better candidate for less than the premium amount for the decorating. In the end, everybody was okay...the seller found another buyer that did appreciate the style and everybody walked away as happy campers.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
There will be other potential buyers, this isn't the end for the seller.
I would say that you acted properly. Too many people aren't honest or up-front anymore. It's refreshing to see someone speak up, tell the truth come what may.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
I was asked to look at a '59 Airstream...only about 7 miles from my house, for a person....enlisted moderators' help....and I did that, with my wife.

Now the Airstream has been "refused". The Ebay lister (here is Tucson) has enlisted my help in finding a buyer.

My advice to you is NEVER go out and "inspect" for another.

The moderator apparently has no help to offer; I am left with an unhappy seller. We told the truth.
If telling the truth helped the potential buyer make a more informed decision than they were able to by the description then you absolutely did the right thing. Lot's of people have buyers remorse, but usually it's after they've bought and paid for their acquisition and then realize it's "not exactly as described". It is unfortunate that the seller wasn't able to close his deal but that is not in any way your responsibility. It's also a credit to you that you feel badly about it anyways. That says a lot about your own character, and it's all goodness.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Kistler-

Barry is right about YOUR character.. You should be commended for getting involved, and for being honest when a lack of honesty was in the air... Commended further for feeling bad about disclosing that seller's representation less than complete...

As painful as it is to get calls from seller, if you get another, just explain that you didn't MAKE decision to decline the purchase, as provided by E-Bay rules, you merely provided information to enable the potential buyers to make a decision... Have seller call them if they want to keep yakking about the deal...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you all for the advice/support on my first experience with inspections. I feel better this a.m.

The seller is not being a problem....phoned and asked if I knew of anyone who wished to purchase a '59, 28', Airstream. Was on Ebay and the "deal" fell through.....I guess, because of me (and Brenda)....it is still a good unit for the right person(s) but it is a project.

Thank you again for posting.

Kistler
Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 AM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Glad you are feeling better about this. Your generosity to inspect a trailer for someone out of state is to be commended and I hope it hasn't been that terrible of an experience that you wouldn't do it again. The only problem in this particular case was the deal was already done when the inspection took place. Had you been contacted before the auction's end, things would have turned out differently and the buyer would not have ended up being the high bidder.

Now let's go camping!!

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote