Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

If you didn't buy an Airstream, then what?

Question.

I know that we all love our Airstream's, but I am curious to find out from the other members of this chat forum what you think of other travel trailers that are on the market.

In your opinion, is there one travel trailer brand out there that really stands out?
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We had come down to either a Sunline or Nash. Leaning towards the Sunline. For what they are they are well built and have a good warranty record. When the chance came to buy a vintage Airstream all bets were off I have always liked Airstreams...for over 35 years Now I have one...still like them, in fact I found another one for sale the other day but my wife won't let me have my allowance Probably a good thing. I work with metal for a living and consider the Airstream a work of art that just happens to be the best built travel trailer in the world. Does it have it's problems...yes but how many 29 year old SOB's do you see still being used regularly.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Joshua, if we hadn't gotten our Argosy, we prbably would have gotten one of those fiberglass trailers. Knowing what I do about nails in wood working loose, I really didn't want another "wobbly box".
Terry
Old 01-20-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We'd still be using our tent ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hmmmmm.........

How about an oxen team & aluminium covered wagon.........polished of course.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Fiberglass

Before Airstream, I was interested in Casita, a fiberglass trailer. The body is a bit more streamlined, less susceptible to rust and early failure than the typical SOBs, and they are lightweight.

But I could never get past the interiors ... hideous IMHO ... even though the Casita folks seem to like them. Ultimately I discovered the vintage Airstreams and got a lot more (karma, nostalgia, features, space, insulation) for about one-third the price of a new Casita. Even with all that, I still have a soft spot for the Casita, and would re-consider them if they could update their interiors (and my Caravel spontaneously exploded! )

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
SOB

Award travel trailers, made in Canada, would likely be on the top of the list after Airstream. However, we just saw a line of Grand Surveyor models by Forrest River at the RV show and we were quite impressed with them. They have fiberglass panel exteriors with aluminum framing, R-7 insulation in the walls, and R-11 insulation in the roof, independent rubber torsion axles similiar to the Henchen axle used by Airstream, a totally enclosed & insulated under chassis utilizing removable aluminum panels, a 12 year warranty on the roof (rubber), 5 year on the axle, 2 year on the outer skin, etc. All that and their 28 foot with slide out weighs only 4834#'s with a load capacity of 1500#'s and hitch weight of 520#'s. Pretty impressive numbers for a trailer that costs less than $23,000 including all options.

BUT that square box still leaves me cold. And as good as the warranty is - possibly better than Airstream's - will not make the fiberglass skin last as long as the aluminum skin on an Airstream. I would be afraid that if I sold my Airstream to buy a flat sided trailer, no matter how good that SOB might be, I would always regret the move.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
If you didn't buy an Airstream, then what?

After my experiences with two earlier box-type RVS, a Sunway and then a Nomad, I really didn't seriously consider anything other than an Airstream or Argsoy - - didn't consider new as I couldn't afford to buy a new Airstream at that time.

If my search for an Airstream or Argosy hadn't been successful, I probably would have seriously considered the top-of-the-line model manufactured by Jayco in the 24'-27' range. The main reason for considering that particular brand was the reputation of my hometown dealer who has been in business for 30 plus years.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:33 PM   #9
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Re: If you didn't buy an Airstream, then what?

Quote:
Originally posted by joshua32064
Question.

I know that we all love our Airstream's, but I am curious to find out from the other members of this chat forum what you think of other travel trailers that are on the market.

In your opinion, is there one travel trailer brand out there that really stands out?
No.
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:45 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

For the record, the reason I am asking this question, is because I am merely curious.

I have a few friends that always ask me how other units compare, and I always tell them that the Airstream is a superior product.

The one thing that I can't argue with them about, is that you get a lot more space for usually half or a third the price. The only way I do combat that, is by telling them that they will have to buy three of those, before I need to purchase another trailer.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
sad but true

I was sitting in a 16' CCD at the Florida RV SuperShow in Tampa last weekend, with four other people. We had a conversation for over an hour. Periodically someone would stick their head in, and we'd heartily invite them in.

They'd come in, look around, look at the sticker, and say, "Oh, $35,000 for something so small!" And then they'd head off to buy a 28-foot SOB at half the price.

Many people buy by the foot, thinking it equates to a good value. Such people will have to learn the hard way.

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I'm perplexed. Why didn't any of the nine respondents who "bought A/S instead, NOT buy NEW...all, ALL, were vintage owners.!??????? Am I not supposed to be buying a new A/S?????
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:59 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Mine is new and I do NOT regret my purchase at all. I have had my unit for a short amount of time and have had a wonderful time taking it out each time.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Thanks, But you started the thread and everyone else had vintage units. We are about to buy either a 2004-25'-Safari or Classic after a long (> 1yr.) search. I was reading the thread with interest but taken aback that you were the only newbee! This is a big decision for us and hope I'm not stepping into a lose/lose situation....Maybe that's too strong, but I'm trying to feel comfortable about our purchase.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:09 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed & Debbie
I'm perplexed. Why didn't any of the nine respondents who "bought A/S instead, NOT buy NEW...all, ALL, were vintage owners.!??????? Am I not supposed to be buying a new A/S?????
Ed& Debbie,
I can't afford an new Airstream! the only way I can own was by buying vintage. I can take anything apart...and usually get it back together again. A new 31' AS runs around $65,000 or so. The vintage unit I bougth cost less than $4000 and if I put another $3000 in it I will be suprised. Plus it has some advantages over the newer units...read it can be polished and if I decide I don't like it I can probably get my money back easily without taking the depreciation hit. If I am lucky it may actually apprecitate in value. Another item that comes to mind...60% of all AS manufactured are still in use. I guess you could call it a form of recyling

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
new unit

Ed & Debbie.

Can't go wrong buying a new unit. Nothing wrong with them for sure. Probably just the difference between buying a used car (albeit a classic with style) and a new one. Although the vintage ones are holding value and some even nosing up, it's still generally cheaper buying used and fixing it up. Nice thing about the AS is that when you fix up a vintage you've got that "cool factor" built in. THere's times I wish I had a new one as my fix it list gets longer.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:14 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Ed & Debbie,

I think that I can confidentially tell you that buying a new Airstream would definitely not be a lose / lose situation for you or anyone.

I am extremely pleased with my new unit and I can't wait to take more trips.

Josh
Old 01-20-2004, 09:15 PM   #18
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
ok, here's the rub

Thank goodness there are NEW Airstream buyers. They make it possible for folks like me who want the best quality in an RV but at an affordable price. That is why I only buy vintage AS's.
I dare say that the quality built into my 33 year old trailer holds it head above the new box trailers and I'll bet my bottom dollar that it will still be in service when most of the 04 SOB's have been resigned to the junkyard.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

This forum is heavily populated by owners of vintage units simply because we need each other. Those who buy new have their warrenties and their dealers. The rest of us have no warrenty, and frequently no dealer within any reasonable distance.

This is starting to change as more and more prospective new buyers are using this site as research tool. And as they find this to be a good place to get the maximum use and enjoyment out of their new purchase. Quite rightly so.

For myself, there was really no other choice once I investiged the issue. I knew that whatever I bought would have to submit to some serious customization, and the idea of buying something new to take it apart never seemed rational. I needed a good basic design to work with. I needed something that would hold its value within reason. I wanted something with good towing qualities. Quickly the only question became WHICH Airstream.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I always thought that my Hi-Lo was pretty unique and was built like a tank. Steel frame foam-cor walls Aluminum bonded exterior walls. Lifting system engineered to lift 10 times the weight of the top section, Henschen axles. Probably the quietest trailer I ever owned and the only travel trailer which tows better than an Airstream. I kept it 14 years, bought it in 1982 for $8,100 sold it for $5,500.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote