Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Forest Knolls , California
When I got my Airstream, I kept much of my old camping gear, as like an ou, I had some really nice "galmping" stuff. Now when I travel with friends,I offer THEM the g
"Guest room" tent! I do NOTeant to share my bedroom and bathroom with guests. I offer them a tent big enough to stand up in, a large rug on the floor of the tent for coziness and warmth (in colder times, I put a tarp underneath the rug), two cots, two comfy self inflating camping mattresses for the cots and they bring their own sleeping bags, or quilts. I also give them my Mr. Heater Buddy to take the chill off in the mornings. All of this folds down to fit easily in the back of my TV. I find I get a lot more takers on camping invites, and we all enjoy it more with our own "bedrooms."
RudiOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Two suggestions: Keep most or all of it for the grandkids. They'll love it, and love going with you--them in the tent, you in the AS. Second, absolutely, positively keep the EZ-Up or your equivalent. Your awning does not replace it. It only supplements it. A 10X10 awning is the perfect gathering place and can be an extension of your awning. My daughter calls it "the libation tent."

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Thanks so much. I do think we will just keep it all for a while. The one thing we loved about our tents and EZ Up was the amount of space we had. I've already offered for my daughter, her hubby, and two year old to camp for free with us and they could utilize everything we have.

Her answer was "I think we'll get a hotel room." I told her then it wasn't much use planning on going together if we were going to not even be staying near each other.

OH well, her loss.

My younger teenage boys love camping and we are taking a glamping tent for them and if weather gets testy, they can sleep in the Airstream. They love it too.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We did the same thing about 8 years ago. Went from camping, to the Minuet. Of your list, I would get rid of the tent and the camp kitchen. I find that we use almost all of the camping gear. Sometimes it is because we have guests visit us and some of it, we just use anyway.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Things to keep

Keep one tent because you may want to make a quick camping trip without taking the trailer. I have done this for a weekend hunting trip when I didn't want to tow all that distance. I used a smaller car rather than the truck and packed light.

The cot I used in the tent broke so I am going to get another. I boondock occasionally without the generator and the trailer gets into the low 90's during the day so I take a nap under the awning outside. Thick blowup mattresses never worked for me so I use a Thermarest mattress.

Good idea on keeping a folding table. I set a portable grill on mine or have used it to set food on.

Keep the Cabela's Camp kitchen for when you use the tent. Believe me, a tent without a way to cook when not using the trailer is miserable unless you are eating out each meal.

While we have 7 trailers in the hunting camp right now, a screened in tent like you mentioned sure keeps the bugs out when eating outside. Can it be used double duty when sleeping in as well as eating on a short trip. Something to consider.

One space heater is usually enough in the trailer and can definitely be used in conjunction with the onboard Airstream propane heater. I have electric as well as propane heaters in addition to the on board heater.

I camp approximately 55 days per year, mostly with the trailer. Most of it is without electricity but I do power the fans with 265 watts of solar panels. There is that occasional tenting weekend though just to really get back to nature.

Hope this helps.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I've already offered for my daughter, her hubby, and two year old to camp for free with us and they could utilize everything we have.

sounds like my daughter as her idea is the Ritz Carlton room with candles for the fireplace and room service
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:42 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I've already offered for my daughter, her hubby, and two year old to camp for free with us and they could utilize everything we have.

sounds like my daughter as her idea is the Ritz Carlton room with candles for the fireplace and room service
Yes...that's what she thinks, but since they don't have any money, they end up not going at all. Personally, I would just be sick and tired of not going anywhere due to my expectations and demands being so far out of reach. But, to each their own
Old 05-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our adult children have never had any interest in camping, and I think that is not universally true but fairly commonplace.

Take the grandchild....kids love camping.

Our grands would go anywhere, any time, any place with us.

Make an adventure out of it, and give mom and dad a little alone time...good for them, good for the grand, and good for you.

Maggie
Old 05-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Our adult children have never had any interest in camping, and I think that is not universally true but fairly commonplace.

Take the grandchild....kids love camping.

Our grands would go anywhere, any time, any place with us.

Make an adventure out of it, and give mom and dad a little alone time...good for them, good for the grand, and good for you.

Maggie
We've decided to keep most of it. I already have a grandchild, and next year, he should be able to come with us. My other kids (one college age and two younger), love camping and help us plan trips. My nephew and his wife, same age as my daughter, love camping as well. I'm wondering if it is more "My parents liked camping. I did it when I was younger, therefore, I will not do it now" type of attitude instead of truly not enjoying it.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We started taking ours at 18 months, but one must keep their eye every moment on those impulse ridden, have-no-fear little guys.

They can really move, and get into anything, as I'm sure you know....a harness and a leash for safety purposes comes to mind.

One thing about the camping....the activity in the fresh air exhausts them, they go down hard at night, and emerge rosy cheeked and ready for the next day.

They're so worth the extra time and effort of taking them along, and you will make memories they will never forget.

Maggie
Old 05-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We started taking ours at 18 months, but one must keep their eye every moment on those impulse ridden, have-no-fear little guys.

They can really move, and get into anything, as I'm sure you know....a harness and a leash for safety purposes comes to mind.

One thing about the camping....the activity in the fresh air exhausts them, they go down hard at night, and emerge rosy cheeked and ready for the next day.

They're so worth the extra time and effort of taking them along, and you will make memories they will never forget.

Maggie
Agree with all this. We began camping as a very young couple with very young children and not very much money. It was fun watching everyone be wiped out by like, oh 8:30-9 and those naps those little ones would take

For now, we will keep most, but not all. Then, we will see what we actually use this summer.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Hang on to all the gear at least til you've Airstreamed several times, but not too long. You will learn soon enough what you are glad to still have. Your tents & gear might still be used.

Think about traveling in your Airstream, perhaps to the Florida Keys, and leaving the AS locked up in a secure place & kayaking or taking a water taxi or ferry/boat shuttle to a remote island with your tent/bags for an overnight or two where the AS can't go! It can be romantic and the beauty is that you have the AS to return to.

If/when you decide you have a few things to donate consider a young family who might appreciate the opportunity to introduce their children to camping but might not otherwise be able to afford it!

Airstreaming isn't an either/or delight!

Happy Camping

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote