Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Oh geez who cares if he said "fat and above 60". We sure do live in the time of the perpetually offended.

I'm not sure how people made it through life if something that insignificant gets them riled up.

This bothering you a bit?[emoji3]

I think what he said is offensive - unintentionally - but frankly - I care more about what such a statement says about the author's own limits on seeing possibilities than I am personally offended. Is it so wrong to ask folks to think a little before using words that demonstrate they have an incorrect and limited view on people who occupy the same planet?

Too hippie for ya? 🤣

It is what it is. Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
#truth
Old 04-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I think what he said is offensive - unintentionally
To be offended, you must first VALUE their opinion

They obviously have "issues" to burst onto the scene making such a statement. To some it is a true statement. To others it is far from it. Regardless, they just want attention.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
self 66- 5'9"- 152lbs--- wife 63 - 5'1" - 104lbs

Love the Airstream. Our 4th travel trailer, and it is not for sale.
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Week after week all sorts of late model Airstreams are posted for sale on the forums and the Airstream for sale website.

I understand that given the price point of "New" and late model used Airstreams the main customer base for Airstream is and always has been the "Fat 60 and Up Crowd" so age and physical abilities needed to use and enjoy the unit "may" be an issue HOWEVER the advertisement and turnover of so many new Airstream's in such a short amount of time by this many original owner's still begs the following question:

Why are so many of these late model Airstream original owners selling there Airstream so soon after purchase?

I look forward to hearing your response's, opinion's and criticism's.
Same Old Story. Many people buy something and then they don't use it. Eventially it ends up for sale!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I’m not fat. 67, but not fat. OK, maybe a bit of a muffin-top.

Thankfully, both pre-owned units we purchased were available on the open market. There may seem to be a lot, but relative to the rest of the market, the pickings are pretty slim and priced correctly, they’re gone in a flash.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #47
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I looked on Autotrader.com and noted quite a few 1 year old Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Infiniti, Lexus, and other luxury brand automobiles for sale along with quite a few GM, Chrysler and Ford vehicles for sale. I wonder what that means? Are all those vehicles for sale an indication of old, overweight, disgruntled owners?
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
How Airstreams become orphans for a time

My simple answer is we thought we got it right, back in 2012.
2012 23 FB Flying Cloud enjoyed it one year found it too small for big guy
2013 27 FB International, and holding
Sometimes you just never know until you try.

In all fairly pleased with our 27FB but if you read my posts a way back I have sometimes wish for a 25 FB twin, which I believe to be the perfect couples trailer, well not perfect if you know what I mean .
Old 04-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Fat60 = Fat Cat?

I assumed the OP used the phrase "Fat60" to refer to wealth and age instead of weight and age, as in "Fat Cat" which makes much more sense when you consider the relatively high price of new AS compared to SOB trailers. And I don't believe JC has ever once widened the door have they?

I have found that most anyone fortunate enough to live above the poverty line can afford some model of AS, especially if they are a bit handy and can rehabilitate one of the older units to a perfectly usable state, and perhaps, even add some value back in. And would any other brand be worth more restored?

In any event, if the OP was truly curious to discover why so many late model AS are for sale, the better methodology would be to survey the sellers, as all one could hope to glean here would be anecdotes and speculation, hardly results with any measurable degree of veracity or validity.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I know right. I'm not fat, and I'm not 60. (it's close though)

No big mystery here, the airstream is such a nice trailer overall that most upgrade within a year or 2 or 3 to a different layout and/or larger model.

Some get out of the rv life for reasons already mentioned in this thread. Old age throws curve balls.

I can see selling our 25 for a 30 classic some day.

I can also see selling the 30 classic for a class A some day.

Not sure I could live on a yacht though
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Since we got our Airstream I've crossed the 6-0 line and put on 15 pounds. I thought it was because of time and diet. Now I know it's the trailer. What a relief!

Anyway, since I've aged and grown to be a true Airstream customer, it's not for sale.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Upgrades to larger trailer size also may explain why many used Airstreams are on the market after just one year. They buy a new Airstream.....and loved the Airstream experience....but want to upgrade to larger trailer size. Don't laugh 😆😆, but I see the very same phenomenon occurring in farm and ranch tractors.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #53
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I think I read somewhere that something like 70% of Airstream buyers had never owned any sort of trailer or RV before. That stat alone would indicate high turnover of newer units.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:04 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Funny this came up as I think about this same questions when I page through the classifieds.

I think a number of (for lack of a better term) yuppies (which I guess demographically would have included my wife and I when we were younger LOL) or even older - non RV folks - get caught up in the trendy "glamping" thing (don't know why, but I kind of dislike that term) and like a few others have mentioned, find that RVing was not all it was cracked up to be and that a hotel room at a spa looked a lot better ;-) . Others are people with more money than me that can take the depreciation hit and trade up every year or two. And others find their needs/desires change size/layout wise. BTW, we have met a number of great new RVer/Airstreamers that love the lifestyle, both young and old, some of which we stay in touch with via Instagram, texting etc.

BTW we are happy with our '99 Safari that I paid $15k for 8 years ago. We miss some of the windows that the new ones have, but like the extra storage (large, double closet), all in one bathroom/shower and the warmer, cozier interior. It still looks great (fully polished), the PO put in cork flooring, we just spent about $2,500 on new curtains, recovered cornices, a couch recovered in Ultraleather Brisa (getting rid of the -to us- tacky 90's fabrics) and some Pendleton blankets to top off our new "southwestern style" interior. Hopefully, we will be happy with it for at least 8 more years and either save or spend the "new trailer"/depreciation money on other things. Even if the still original (now about 20 years old) AC and fridge go up, replacing them along with the other upgrades amounts to less than a down payment on a new/newer one.

Anyway, as usual, I digress....
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:21 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Old 04-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
I wonder if more so than regular trailers or RV's ? Some people just have a lot of money to burn and the cost of buying new and taking the depreciation hit means nothing. People in Cali sell their homes for a 6% commission, do that math! Who can afford a new Airstream even anyway? not many, and probably an older or retired demographic where illnesses or death can come unexpectedly. Just my 2c worth
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:14 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
It's probably the same reason folks buy a boat, vacation property, snowmobile, motorcycle, jet ski, etc... only to sell it in a matter of a couple years. They thought they would use it more than they actually did, and could no longer justify the expense. Good thing for Airstreamers is they hold value better than square boxes.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:35 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
Sounds like a troll who can’t afford the asking price of an Airstream. the fat 60 and up crowd comment was totally out of order & offensive Andy, remove this thread
Fat and 60 crowd IS offensive, but it was a fair question. Calling him a troll who cannot afford an Airstream is ALSO OFFENSIVE and completely out of line.

Most people cannot afford Airstreams, Chris and I count ourselves exceedingly blessed to have found our 1988 325 Classic Moho at such an incredibly low price, but we still never could have afforded it without his 401k.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The backstory on our Airstream is that it was bought, the original owners went on one trip, and decided it was too small, sold it, and bought a bigger one.

It happens a lot, apparently. So we have a very functional, good condition AS minus a fair amount of depreciation to play with. Win-win...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:57 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I have found that most anyone fortunate enough to live above the poverty line can afford some model of AS, especially if they are a bit handy and can rehabilitate one of the older units to a perfectly usable state, and perhaps, even add some value back in. And would any other brand be worth more restored?
I’m curious as to what you think the income level above poverty is. In some places here your income can put you above the state poverty level, but you still don’t make enough money to rent an apartment.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote