Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2003, 11:55 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I hear ya. My '80 Olds took 15 years before the tank started to leak at the seam.

Of course the "Dukes of Hazzard" manuvers probobly didn't help...

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by ipso_facto
Silvertwinkie

Spark plugs could be easier, especially on a car of that size. I hear on LT1 motors you have to remove the wheel and go through the wheel opening to get to some of them.

Which is why I like trucks. Full size ones are easier to service than either sedans or vans. On my 460, you can easily replace spark plugs and things that bolt onto the engine.

The easiest vehicle I ever saw was a full size GM truck with a smaller V6 engine. It looked like everything in it is a piece of cake. I think 5.7L is not much worse.

Pre-94 Caprices, with the L05 5.7L engine are somewhat easier to service than newer ones. First, you don't have to remove the water pump to access the optispark, and if the water pump breaks down, it doesn't flood it.

I originally wanted something with that super tuned LT1 'Vette motor, but then realized I was happy with the "regular" and older 5.7L TBI. I recently had the "9C1" motor installed from a '92 Caprice. So I now have a custom wagon, stock wagons ones never came with pre-'94 9C1 motor. Only gained about 20 horses however.

Contemplated using it as my towing vehicle, but I fear that even with 4.10 rear axle, the suspension wouldn't work. The power would be there, but doubling the towing capacity is questionable. (the manual recommends 5,000 lbs) And I am not sure I want 4.10 in my daily driving, probably bring your mileage down to 15-16 even on highway. So it would need suspension work, a heavy duty tranny, (4L80?) and still wouldn't be as good as a truck. I already have a heavy-duty cooling system. But I think that towing my A/S unit with that vehicle would fry the tranny pretty quickly.

Anyway. I too have some minor issues with my towing vehicle. Some kind of sensor, plan to pull the codes on it and checking what's wrong. Maybe this will help you?

Electronic Engine Control self test for Ford vehicles
I was cursing my 454 burb a little changing the plugs Sunday. Looked easy enough to get at but fender is about 40 inches high and you have to lay over it and hang upside down to get at the plugs or ballance on your belly on the core suport. #7 I couldn't get a straight shot on because the shift linkage, Steering and brake plumbing was in the way. Did that one from underneath. #8 was a reach. Could get your hands in there between the Air pump blumbing and the A/C box but once they were in there you could not see so it was a brail job. Really not bad once I figured out the right combination of extensions and universals. Couldn't get a easy shot at it from below because of the exhast manifold shape.

Easiest I ever had 4banger water cooled VW's. all right up front pointed at you and nothing in the way. Wifes 4 banger accord is not so bad but a A/C line is a little in the way of #1 so starting the plug takes a little 3/8s fuel line.
My 75 350 Jimmy with a body lift and stands 7ft tall...I do it through the fender wells with long socket extensions...it's a peice of cake.
Now my Supra is a pain in the pututie! To get at #3 and #4 you have to take the throttle body off and the intake soft pipes. The intake runners are on driver side and wrap up and point over the engine with the throttle body hanging over the exust side valve cover. The air cleaner is on the passengerside behind the head light. Now pulling that engine is one of the easiest I have ever done. by myself I had it out in 1.5 hours with tranny. I am aware of a couple guys that fried a clutch at a SCCA event and did a clutch change in 1.5 hours by pulling the engine (It's easier to pull the engine then try to get hte tranny out and leave the engine in.).

As for the tranny question. THe 4l60 your car came with is a pretty good tranny. It's a lot better then the old 700R4. Put a big cooler on it and I doubt your going to have any issues as long as your not pulling more then an extra 6k.
3.73 gears would in reality be the same as a truck with 4.10 because of the tire size evening things up. You car probably runs a tire in the 28 inch tall range and a truck is about 31.
28 inch tall tire with 3.73 gears would be turning 2037RPM at 65mph in OD.
A truck with 31 inch tall tire and 4.10 gears is turning 2022RPM at 65mph.
http://www.ring-pinion.com/calculators.shtml has a good gear calculator you can play with.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 01:39 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

All this talk about vehicle repair reminds me - I am looking for another daily driver. My Caprice is nice but since I got the truck, I no longer need the towing package nor all the cargo space.

I've had good luck with GM products. I was contemplating something with the 3.8L engine like Buick LeSabre/Park Avenue but these are FWD probably more complex than RWD.

And, I wouldn't mind a 4-cylinder but I am not aware of any quality domestic ones which are not econoboxes. A manual tranny would be nice too.

I realize there are lots of quality foreign 4-cylinders but I don't want any imports, I like domestics because the parts are so cheap and everywhere.

Maybe I should get another Caprice, a sedan, with that smaller 4.3L engine (267 cid). I wonder if that, in conjuction with a lower rear axle of 2.73 will get me 25 MPG I want on the highway. (I currently get 21mpg.) Some told me this combo gets almost 30mpg, which is incredible for a V8.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I rented a new 6cyl Malibu and ran from Atlanta to Detroit. Decent power, handled pretty good, little torque steer from the front drive. A/C blew nice and cold the whole way. stereo was decent., Road respecatable. got 32mpg running 75mph with A/C. The only thing that drove me nuts is the OD kept hunting when I really felt it shouldn't have been.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 04:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Good looking van Steph!

I wouldn't mind having one myself but in a E-250 Powerstroke diesel. The Chateau editions are even sweeter, have a couch that turns into a bed but they are only available in the E-150.

What is with these chevy nuts taking over your thread??

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:55 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Ford, Chevy, Dodge, they all break down. When my Fords aren't broken, I'm working on the 68 vette :-) If it's not one thing it's another...

I took the rig over to my friend's house and he dragged his tools out to the street and moved the fricton control ball from one side of the tounge to the other so it would work with the hitch he sold me. In doing so, he had to cut through the old welds and grind them flush, and sparks were flying everywhere, including under the van. I'm so glad we found that gas leak before he did this job!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote