Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Vidor Texas, located east of Beaumont has received 52.3 inches of rain per NWS . The SUN is out. Received this message from son who lives in Vidor. This was at 1623 hrs.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:05 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Thanks uncle bob, we have thought of that. Thankfully the season for the rains is kinda coming to a close, maybe. We have heard there is some kind of disturbance out there again so who know what is gonna happen in the near future. We are in an older neighborhood that many people want to be in so for that part we are optimistic but can't give it away either. We probably will get when the gitten' is good. Llando 88, I hope you did survive the devastation for your storage unit but so many places in Katy got hit pretty hard. We are now about to head out to help some friends that took on a 5 foot surge and it appears all is lost for them. They have the most positive outlook that it inspires me as well. Everyone stay safe and enjoy some camping for me, lol.
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:04 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/p.../evacuee-parks

We were planning on setting up our Texas domicile in Livingston, TX in October. Maybe we should think about South Dakota instead. It might be hard to get into any campgrounds not to mention roads that still need repairing, fuel issues etc.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Just a warning, if your even travelling in North Texas. No fuel at gas stations in my local area in Fort Worth.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #85
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Just a warning, if your even travelling in North Texas. No fuel at gas stations in my local area in Fort Worth.
Not surprising considering the refineries are all near the coast and got hit by Harvey. I'm sure they had to shut down production temporarily.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:22 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not surprising considering the refineries are all near the coast and got hit by Harvey. I'm sure they had to shut down production temporarily.
"If I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet I couldn't have been more surprised".

It caught me off guard, usually there is a steep price increase but not to have any fuel took me back some. Hopefully, anyone traveling over the holiday will know what to expect.

Any word on how long before the refineries can start producing again?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Once Houston human society can operate again they will be overwhelmed:
https://www.houstonhumane.org/(Give)...neral-donation
Austin is waiting for the roads to open to receive even more animals. They have already provided shelter for over 330 animals.
Every donation, no matter how small, will go a long way:
https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurr...y-evacuations/
Please help if you can!

Edit:right after I made this post I made another donation to Austin Pets Alive, just to do something and not just watch the horrible news.
Thank you for posting. I just made a donation to Austin Pets Alive.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Mother Nature- truly one of "the great equalizers", as quoted by many. She humbles our most lofty human ideals!
God be with you all- Matthew still fresh in our minds...
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:51 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Glad things are on the mend in the Houston area, however, as we have been hearing on the news, the Brazos River is not supposed to crest until Tuesday:

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydr...hgx&gage=wcbt2

Prayers for all of Texas, Louisiana, and the entire region.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Working with a volunteer group called All Hands Volunteers. They have 150 people coming into San Antonio on Southwest from all over the country in groups of 10 or so daily. This is where the airline is willing to fly them for free so this is what we need to work with.

If anyone on this forum can volunteer to transport groups to The Woodlands (North Houston) in their vehicles it would be a huge help.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
I was out to pick up some supplies and there is no issue with gasoline in NW Harris County just outside of Houston, no lines and plenty of gas. This storm will not keep us down for long, it's just how we are.
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
We headed into Harvey in Houston.

So last week we were in Durango watching the eclipse then to New Mexico for a nice time in cooler altitudes. We headed back to Houston Sunday fully aware of the mess going on in our home town. The weather wasn't bad and we went through Temple and then Brenham. Went through about a quarter of bad water off of 290 and made it through to home in west Houston. Parked the Airstream in the driveway and were prepared to leave again and left food, clothes and batteries charged in case we needed a quick exit. It rained Monday, Tuesday and part of Wednesday and we were flooded in and watched the water rise up out driveway. At lease half of the neighbors stayed and we were all fortunate that the water stopped and never came in our houses. People kayaked down the streets and we had waterfront property. Wednesday afternoon the sun came out and the skies turned to blue. Today Friday afternoon the water receded enough that we could get our Lexus Tow-vehicle out to run to the store. House and Airstream fine. People asked why didn't we stay in Colorado? Good question. I guess we were concerned about our property, business, friends and neighbors and our city.
Maybe we wanted to just be a part of that was going on good or bad. Anyway here we are!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	293806  
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Putting her money to good use.

http://pagesix.com/2017/08/31/mirand...harvey-floods/
Old 09-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have you confirmed the flooding at your unit with the management there -- maybe you lucked out?

Hoping so . . .

If you were flooded out, however, you might want to authorize them to break the lock, and throw everything out? In two months, the mold could get into the building itself, and you could be held liable for serious remediation costs IMO.

Peter

We're going to call them, but it's no rush.

Our storage unit is pretty far down the priority list. Those folks have enough to worry about.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
We stored our removed rear bed/dinette unit and cushions in a Public Storage in Katy TX.

Given the incredible impact on the whole area, we are not too worried about losing it. I'm sure it's a loss at this point.

We were going to head back through Texas on our way to FL in a month or two but will probably make other plans. Likely just swing through Katy on I10, remove our items to take to the trash and close out our storage unit.

Thoughts and prayers to all impacted in the area.

We live close to Katy and there is a lot of dry ground in the area and flooding has gone down quickly. There's a storage facility just down the road on Tanner road that had some Airstreams and one in the front area was high and dry. Hope you're lucky.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
We live close to Katy and there is a lot of dry ground in the area and flooding has gone down quickly. There's a storage facility just down the road on Tanner road that had some Airstreams and one in the front area was high and dry. Hope you're lucky.

Appreciate the info. Our unit is at 2800 FM 1463 in Katy.

Like I said, we are not too worried if it is a loss, given what folks down there are going through. We have insurance through USAA, but I dunno if we'll use it.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #97
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
We store ours in the back of that storage place. We evacuated with her last Friday, as we figured it would flood if we got as much rain as they were predicting.
peloroja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:59 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI a new thread for Hurricane Irma:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ma-172303.html

Plenty of time for folks in Florida and the Southeast to prepare or move to higher ground. As Irma has tracked westward across the southern Atlantic, she has become organized more quickly, and grown more intense, than most other hurricanes have done in the past.

Forewarned is forearmed . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:36 AM   #99
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Buyer beware, I am seeing ads for wanting to buy flooded Airstream trailers.
Since some may not have insurance, it will never show up on a vin report.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #100
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Buyer beware, I am seeing ads for wanting to buy flooded Airstream trailers.
Since some may not have insurance, it will never show up on a vin report.
Hi

.... and cars and trucks and .....

You'll be needing to check for water damage on any sort of used vehicle for the next couple years.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote