Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
portland , Oregon
Question how to remove the bathroom from 1966 trailer

hello,

I have a major dry rot on the subfloor and I have to remove the bathroom in order to get to the subfloor. I already removed all the inerior & the rivets that holds the trim around the bathroom. I believe I have to cut the drian pipes and remove all the rivets that hold the bathroom fiber glass to the wall. Any photos or tips would be a big help.

Thank you
steve
steverad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Steve, you are on the right track. Every rivet you see in the bathroom will have to be drilled out. Along the floor, the flanges of the ABS plastic parts will be screwed into the floor. My 68 TW has a fiberglass endcap on on the top of the bathroom, no need to take that out. The drains in the tub and sink will unscrew from the drain pipes with the proper little tool you can get at ACE. Take your time and don't force anything. It will all come out if you get all the rivets out, but it can be very frustrating. I spent as much time studying and scratching my head as I did taking things apart. Keep all the trim that covers the rivets, it is impossible to find. When you get all the fixtures out, then you can cut the drain pipes in a place here you can reassemble with a coupler. Don't get in a hurry or it will cost you a lot of time on the rebuilt. There are many threads on the forums about floor repair. It is not rocket science but it it hard and dirty work if you do it right.
Good luck
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I completely removed the whole interior from a 1966 Ambassador. We started at the entrance door and worked our way back.
The tub is fastened to the aluminum wall with many hidden rivets. I tugged on the bath tub and broke it loose with no damage to the tub. The heads of the rivets popped and allowed the tub to be removed.
Have fun and take your time. It can be done.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Steve,

Good Luck and keep us posted. I have cracks just starting all throughout the floor of my tub. I will need to replace it or resurface it soon or I will have rot as well. Wish I could be more help, but there are plenty of guys/gals on here that have done it and can help along the way.
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
portland , Oregon
Thumbs up

Thank you all for your responses. I will update you with some photos soon. I think I will be working on it for a while.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Steve
steverad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Steve, I detailed some of this method on my blog with photos. I had to cut the water lines to the sink. Address is in my signature.

NUTZ
Old 11-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Confused in Bham

1964 24' Tradewind
Bellingham , Washington
I recently got a 64 TW 24', and am taking out the floor to replace it. I accidentally ripped a portion of fiberglass of the sink side wall during removal and am wondering about danger of inhalation. Anyone have experience on asbestos, or fiberglass? Probably only two or three breathes of dust.
beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
its fiberglass, I don't imagine you have incurred any risk, probably get more exposure than you did just walking down the insulation isle at the big box store. That rip probably is pretty easy to repair, especially if its already away from the wall.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags