Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
How to identify 12v positive and negative

Hello Helpful Stream’ers
Can someone please help identify what is positive and negative on the 12v side.
I am wiring a 12v dc Caframo fan in the bedroom of our 2017 international.
I am pulling 12 V constant power from one of the light switches I have a black wire white wire a red wire and two purple wires . I’m also wanting to wire one above the TV in the kitchen area and poor constant power from the smoke detector but want to identify what is positive and what is negative
A second question is while camping last weekend in the rain in the upstate I noticed getting shocked when entering the trailer and grabbing a hold of the handle door (:is there a grounding problem ? I’ve never had that experience before . The ground was wet and I was standing outside in the rain Entering the trailer
Thanks to anyone who can offer help on these two issues since I’m not an electrician
Betterboat
Betterboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Exclamation

Dangerous situation!

This is above my pay grade, but you should immediately unplug the trailer from shore power, and do not plug it back in until a licensed electrician has found the source of you being shocked.

Hopefully more expert opinions will be forthcoming soon.

You might also want to check the following forum and sub-forum for relevant threads:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f447/

FYI -- "electric shock touching trailer" search results: https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...=airforums.com

Plenty of helpful reading in those search results IMO.

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
YouTube search for Mike Sokol no shock zone hot skin presentation.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I carry an outlet tester ($5 or so at Lowes) and 30A to 15A adapter. I check the 30A receptacle at the campground by plugging the 30A to 15A adapter at the pedestal and plugging the outlet tester into the adapter. It will identify if there are any wiring problems in the campground.

Once the trailer is plugged in to the pedestal, check your internal outlets. There may be a wiring problem in the trailer. If you find a problem with these tests or if you don't and still get shocked, a qualified electrician may be required to find it.

That said, in a campground with a large distributed electrical system, the ground reference may be some distance away from where your trailer is parked and it is possible for the voltage potential of the ground at the trailer to be different from that at the ground reference (typically at the meter). In that case a shock is possible because the trailer shell is connected by the green wire ground to the ground reference at the meter. The only way to avoid that is to ensure that the trailer is grounded at your site. Putting the jack and stabilizers down without insulating material between them and the ground can help but the best way is to drive a ground rod.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
With regards to your other question about finding positive, the RV industry makes me crazy. Somewhere along the line some genus decided to follow the home standard (also nuts) of black being “hot” and white being neutral.

So in RV’s black is POSITIVE and white is negative. HOWEVER that’s only true sometimes because other devices will use the vastly more universal red/black pair in which case black is NEGATIVE and red is positive.

Typically if you see a black and white wire together as a pair you can be fairly confident the black is positive and the white is negative in an RV.

If you see red and black wires in a pair the black is negative and the red is positive.

Using a multimeter will tell you for sure.

There is no real standard for what the other colors mean.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dry Branch , Georgia
Dc +-

You should have a DC voltage test meter with a red probe on positive side of meter and black probe on negative side of meter. It will read the DC voltage.
If you have the red probe on the positive wire, meter should read voltage with no + or - on screen. If you have red probe on negative wire, meter will have a minus (-) sign on the screen beside voltage reading.
You may first check with an AC meter to be sure you do not have wires with AC power.
Or if you know you have DC wires and you know the direction motor should turn, you can hook motor to wires and see if it turns in the right direction if not right direction swap wires to right direction.
Buckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
Daleycum is right on the mark.
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
Iron tepee #35

1993 34' Excella
andalusia , Illinois
Al and Missy are correct about the possible difference in ground potential. That’s the intrinsic problem with parallel ground paths. But, more importantly you must have voltage bleeding to ground somewhere (trailer shell). Enough to give a shock but not enough to trip a breaker, or blow a fuse?
mikeoxlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Typically if you see a black and white wire together as a pair you can be fairly confident the black is positive and the white is negative in an RV.

If you are on the DC setting for your multimeter and you are reading 60 volts, that means that the line is actually 120 VAC, right? You're measuring only half the voltage. I always check with both settings, AC and DC.

If I was checking for DC only voltages I would disconnect from shore power, just to be safe.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
YouTube search for Mike Sokol no shock zone hot skin presentation.

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 09-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Hot Skin RV

16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 09-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Hot Skin RV
I've seen that one a few times. I have the Progressive Industries surge protector which lets me know if there's an open ground. Is that what the problem is with getting shocked on the AS skin? I prefer using that tool as opposed to the hand held, but I guess the hand held is handy if you're visiting another AS.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 09-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoxlong View Post
Al and Missy are correct about the possible difference in ground potential. That’s the intrinsic problem with parallel ground paths. But, more importantly you must have voltage bleeding to ground somewhere (trailer shell). Enough to give a shock but not enough to trip a breaker, or blow a fuse?

Even if the trailer is perfect, it is referenced to ground at the facility entrance panel. Ground potential at the trailer could be different and it could be enough to feel a shock. One cause could be a leak in the park power system. In cases such as these one could disconnect the trailer and measure between the ground pin on the pedestal and earth ground and see a voltage.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
With regards to your other question about finding positive, the RV industry makes me crazy. Somewhere along the line some genus decided to follow the home standard (also nuts) of black being “hot” and white being neutral.

So in RV’s black is POSITIVE and white is negative. HOWEVER that’s only true sometimes because other devices will use the vastly more universal red/black pair in which case black is NEGATIVE and red is positive.

If you see red and black wires in a pair the black is negative and the red is positive.

There is no real standard for what the other colors mean.

IF the black white pair is Romex cable or heavy gauge solid wire (12 or 14) it is probably AC. If it is smaller gauge stranded wire it is probably DC.

A multimeter will not necessarily tell you what it is because they operate differently depending on design. What I have seen is an analog meter (with a needle movement) will typically show 0 volts for AC on the DC scale and will show some level of voltage for DC on the AC scale. Digital meters, all bets are off. They repeatedly sample the voltage and give you a number based on the voltage measured at the time of the sample.

IF you know the characteristics of your meter, then you can tell the difference. The moral of the story is check the voltage of known sources on both scales to learn how your meter works.

Al
Old 09-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
In all the airstreams I have worked the white is negative (I am referring to the single strand wire, not the jacketed cable, that would have 3 single wires inside)
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
If you have to ask this question .
Then you do not know enough to do any work on any electrical .
You need to find someone qualified in both low voltage & household AC electrical .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTF View Post
You need to find someone qualified in both low voltage & household AC electrical .
Bingo!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #18
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTF View Post
Well said.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #19
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
pop the cover on your Converter panel. there is a chart that tells you what color wire supplies power to what appliances. The range is brown, orange, purple, blue, etc. All these are positive wires. All white wires you find in the trailer are negative.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
If you are on the DC setting for your multimeter and you are reading 60 volts, that means that the line is actually 120 VAC, right? You're measuring only half the voltage. I always check with both settings, AC and DC.
It doesn’t work that way. The DC reading could be all over the place if you stuck it on an AC line. Try not to do that! On some meters you’ll damage them putting that much voltage on a meter expecting DC. On a modern autoranging meter it might not hurt anything but the reading you get will be meaningless.

Typically, as was said, an AC line will be inside a heavy sheath of some sort.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v