Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #1

Los angeles , California
Exclamation How to flag Airstream scammers on Craigslist

There is a massive fraud ring of Craigslist scammers targeting Airstreams, in particular the Airstream Bambi and Airstream Burro. Here is how to block them. You can see their nationwide postings by doing the following: using Google Chrome as a browser, go to Window (on the top bar of your computer), choose Extensions, and download the Ripgator extension. You can then search all over America. Type into the search bar the type of Airstream being targeted by the scammers, and you'll see all their ads at once, everywhere they are posted. Flag them, using the "prohibited" option that Craig offers. An additional step to take: at the bottom of the ads is the Posting ID used by the scammer. Copy and paste that ID number to an email to abuse@craigslist.org, and ask them to remove the ads.
Also, post your own ads to Craigslist warning people about the Airstream scammers.
Waste their time by writing to them: you'll get back emails talking about using ebay escrow/buyer protection services etc. This is always a sign that fraud is about to happen, because ebay services and protection are not offered through Craigslist.
Let's all work together to prevent them from ripping off those individuals who don't know that you can't by a 2007 Bambi for $2,900.
decorator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Scam, Rip Off,

I never could understand why the authourities can't track these scam artists, when it is so easy to identify them!!!!!

And why nothing is done when they do catch them.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I never could understand why the authourities can't track these scam artists, when it is so easy to identify them!!!!!

And why nothing is done when they do catch them.

Dave
According to my local DA...lack of resources and extreme difficulty in prosecuting. Also a person in NC might be running a scam in FL so now you have a jurisdiction conflict. And the wheels of justice continue to turn oh so slowly. Best bet is an informed consumer.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
or they might not even be in the Country...
as am I, currently stranded in Nigeria as I have attended to my uncles estate after his passing. We discovered that both of you, Dave and Aaron, are heirs to a sizable inheritance from this very wealthy man. If you would please forward me your social security numbers, personal bank account numbers, routing numbers, and mothers maiden name- I will very immediately to your possession, many hundred thousands of currency dollar denominations.

God Bless,
Final 'makimbocut' Joe
Old 10-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #5

Los angeles , California
scammers

It's up to us, I'm afraid. We just have to keep flagging, and posting our warnings on Craigslist. Of course, the scammers just move on to another product, but at least they'll be out of the Airstream community, if we are sufficiently vigilant. It's amazing how many people fall for this. Usually people just getting into Airstream ownership, who don't know that the deal is too good to be true.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Yeah,

I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of these types of scams originate in Nigeria. Their usually pretty easy to spot. Lots of mis-spelled words, flowery English, and references to the lord (god bless, your friend in Jesus, etc....).

Even if the add you see is well written. Chat them up a bit and see how the responses come back. If they are short and evasive with broken English, poor grammar, etc. You should be pretty suspicious. If it sounds too good to be true, it most definitely is.

We lived in Nigeria for 3 yrs and I have travelled through quite a bit of Africa on business and pleasure. If you think their international scamming is something, you should see it on the ground. There's virtually no enforcement/prosecution for the offenders committing far more serious crimes crimes in country, so you can just imagine what it would be like enforcing international crimes.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It is my experience that flagging craigslist postings is a waste of time because the threshold they use for removal is rarely reached.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #8

Los angeles , California
Flagging isn't instantaneous, but Craigslist usually takes down the scam ads within a few days.

Tags
craigslist scams, fraud, scam