Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2004, 09:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
How Old Were You When You Went Twin?

Just curious, how old were you when you decided to go the twin bed route? Anyone ever go twin and come back to the queen? Anyone ever go queen and come back to twin? Do you find you get more rest but less $@%?

The reason I ask is, the 48" double? in the Bambi worries us a little and some of the vintage coaches in the same size range as the Bambi look pretty neat but most have twin beds.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:16 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I've always been twin. I mostly camp with my wife but not always. Twins allow for different campers. Besides, with a queen, someone invariably needs to crawl over the other in the middle of the night. Besides, the cover stealers can keep to themselves

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
In our case with the double up against the wall it gets a bit tight. We have wanted a twin for two reasons, gives each of us more room and since my wife tends to stay up later than I, she does not disturb my sleep when she goes to bed. At first neither of us wanted the twins, but as we have been thinking and talking, the double makes more sense.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I've spent a bit of time thinking about this as well, since with no salvagable furniture, we'll be able to cram whatever we like in there. In college my wife and I weighed less, and snuggled all night on a double - nowadays though we use a queen. (No California king-sized in our future - we're only going down from here!)

I would imagine that in our case beds will be folded up during the day, and most of our daylight hours will be spent out sightseeing (or driving to the next destination,) so the larger the bed --> the more comfy, the more comfy --> the better.

This won't be possible for the 2nd bed for the 2nd couple we'll probably have tagging along on many trips. In that case, it'll have to be a double and they'll just have to squish.
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Twins will always be up against a wall and will be cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I also don't like the restriction of the curve in the trailer end for rear twins.

We have the crosswise queen and I would not trade it for twins. There is just enough room to ease out and not have to crawl over the other person. The corner full size in the International gave us plenty of room but it meant crawling over the other person and a hot or cold wall to sleep against.

We could not tolerate a 48" corner bed with confining walls. I would even take twins rather than that.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Quote:
Twins will always be up against a wall and will be cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I also don't like the restriction of the curve in the trailer end for rear twins.
John ... Is there a problem with insulation on Airstreams? The walls on our Holiday Rambler do not seem to be "cold in the winter and hot in the summer". I always assumed the Airstream was insulated to the same degree or better.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by DreamStream

John ... Is there a problem with insulation on Airstreams? The walls on our Holiday Rambler do not seem to be "cold in the winter and hot in the summer". I always assumed the Airstream was insulated to the same degree or better.
In Texas summer (100+), I can lay my hand on the wall and it is quite warm, especially when the sun is on that side of the trailer. My wife, who is always cold, complained about the cold wall when we had the International. As far as heat and cold goes, the windows seem to let in a lot more heat and cold than the wall itself.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:04 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
twins

In 1994 we purchased an sob with twin beds. We were 45 at the time. In 2001 we traded the sob for the 30' classic. The AS has a qween. Much better for sleeping and ...

We will never go back.

Mark
Old 02-09-2004, 11:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Re: twins

Quote:
Originally posted by markjoandall
Much better for sleeping and ...

We will never go back.

Mark
You said it all right there, Mark.
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
struggling with that issue as well...

... still got the 6'7" boyfriend and, while I'm thin & tend to curl up, between us we still seem to need every inch of my king-size bed. I have NO idea what the solution will be in an Airstream, but a total gut & custom configuration seems to be the only route. Even if we won't be living in the trailer, I have little patience for discomfort, especially at night.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:24 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
tall people

Summerkid,

I'm 6'4 and I accept the fact that my feet will hang over the edge. That was part of the problem with twins. There was no place for my feet to hang. There are bulkheads directly at the foot of the beds. With the queen, my feet hang out just fine.

Mark
Old 02-09-2004, 01:15 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
After having a queen in our SOB we decided to go the twin route in our '01 Safari. One of the nice things about the twins in that model was the night stand and drawer that separated the two beds. It also was easier if you got up at night being able to walk straight through to the bathroom.

What my wife didn't like about the twins was sleeping against the curved wall. First there was the curve but secondly the cold from the window which tended to spill down the side wall. The window was closing properly but single pane glass does radiate cold.

When we ordered the new Classic we decided to go back to a queen layout.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:50 PM   #13
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
John says:
Quote:
Twins will always be up against a wall and will be cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
Our Tradewind had a padded area attached to the wall about 14 inches tall that ran the length of the twin bed on each side. Heat was never a problem, but even with the pad the cold was noticeable. Our Argosy just has the bare metal wall. We'll probably add a wall pad to the Argosy one day for each bed. Gives us another area for creativity with fabrics too.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:01 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Lightbulb

I've been told the queen does come after the twins but it's preceded by the divorce.
stuart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

One of the things I was absolutely certain I had to have when I was shopping for my Airstream was a island full size bed. When I saw the corner bed in my mid-bath Sovereign I was sure I would rip it all out and change it to an island queen.

Now, mine is a seldom seen floorplan (click PHOTOS below), but the issues apply for the most part with any corner bed.

The first thing that happened was I was spoiled by the extra wardrobe and the dresser made possible by the corner bed. The second thing that happened was we got along with the corner bed just fine. This second item was an absolute surprise to me.

One thing that is different than most corner beds is that ours is open the full length, which helps a lot.

Ours also came with an upholstered pad on the wall along the bed. It was rather dirty, so I replaced it with some very, very plush short pile carpet used in limos. We like to camp rather late into the fall and find it is no longer cold on that side of the bed.

So, I guess my point is that if you really want a 22' CCD or Safari, a Bambi, a 25' six sleeper, the corner bed may be just fine for you. But I would want to take into account the experiences related above from people who did not like theirs.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
corner bed

I like our 25' ss corner bed mostly because of all the room we gain. The privacy screen works well and when not closed the 25' seems spacious, the half wall aluding to privacy and separate space but also supporting openness which feels like a studio-type throughout and not segmented into smaller bits. The dinette rather than a wall or appliance helps open up the space as well. Great proportion of walk-aroundspace and window placement. We had an island queen in our SOB and I thought the twin option was the layout we would go with but my husband thought the dinette would be more practical for us having camera equipment and laptop or various other projects going and still have a place to eat without having to move everything. So though at first I was reluctant I have grown to appreciate the space. I also like the bed walled in its very comforting and womb-like. LOL I especially like curling up and putting my feet on the wall. It's like being in a train berth or shipsbed only bigger.

Now on a more serious note. I noticed not many have mentioned an age. At 51 we almost opted for twin beds. I prefer the twin beds to the queen for floor space and lengthening look. I like the window and nightstand, could make a nice portable office. The only thing I didn't like was the wardrobes looming overhead. Of course the dog prefers a bigger bed and yes, believe it or not the 90+lb beast jumps up and goes to my side so there goes my legroom! We just pile in like hamsters.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:22 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm with ya on that Carol. I love the corner bed seems more spacious to me. Perhaps some day, the twin, but I can't see it happening for many, many years, if at all.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Welllllll, er, ah, you see, ah, with our twins, if it's really, really cold, then I can get one foot warmer and my wife can get the other one. The one is called Amanda, and the other is called Toby.

Lynn
Old 02-10-2004, 04:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
We got the twin beds because we thought they would be easier to make and for getting up at night. We were wrong.

Next time we will get the queen free-standing one. I will not tell you what we are thinking of length-wise because I don't want you all complaining about my tow vehicle.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:54 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Kistler
We got the twin beds because we thought they would be easier to make and for getting up at night. We were wrong.
Making any bed that is against a wall is difficult. Add to that the hanging closet that is over the end of each twin bed and the complications grow.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote