Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1988 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
How much wind will turnover an Airstream?

We have a 34' Limited. I was just wondering how strong of a wind would it take to tip it over. Not driving, just parked.
Cristobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
I had an Airstream parked in storage in Gulf Shores, Alabama when Hurricane Ivan hit in 2004. The area had wind over 100 mph (eye went ashore slightly east). Several frame built condominiums were destroyed. My Airstream had 3 feet of water in it due to storm surge and two windows shattered but did not turnover. Still destroyed but not by turning over. The replacement was in my yard during Katrina. No storm surge but this time on east side of Katrina. Again wind in 100-110 mph range. No damage. A category 5 hurricane might turn one over but bigger risk will be storm surge or impact from wind driving projectiles. Filling fresh tanks would probably reduce risk of turnover as they are all contribute to low center of gravity.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Wind right at the surface are tricky. Things like nearby buildings can have a major effect. The orientation of the trailer also matters. Broadside is worse than end on. Just as with sway, wind gust timing matters.

So, lots of variables and no really good answer beyond what you can work out going down the road if it's head on (or tail on). Broadside you have a lot more surface area and it likely tips a lot faster as well ....

As mentioned above, one stray branch can easily do ten or twenty thou in damage .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
400 pounds of water is nothing... That's like 2 men trying to hold it down. Don't count in much other than tethering the shell to hold it down!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
IRMA could .

I'd hook it up and head west about 400 miles NOW .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal View Post
We have a 34' Limited. I was just wondering how strong of a wind would it take to tip it over.
There is only one possible answer: "It depends." There is no magic number where you're safe below it and at risk above it.

You can lash the trailer down with chain or steel cable attached to the frame front and rear (the tow chains are good for this in front), and attached to substantial anchors driven— or better, buried— into the ground. But make sure the chain or cable is weaker than the frame so that if the trailer does move, the chain or cable breaks before the frame bends.

You can put a solid "skirt" around the bottom of the trailer from the bottom edge and wheelwells all the way to the ground to prevent wind from getting underneath and creating uplift forces. Hay bales are good for this, if they're staked down so the wind doesn't blow them away.

You can orient the trailer so that the front or rear faces the prevailing wind. But the prevailing wind changes as the storm moves past due to cyclonic rotation, so choose the direction from which the highest winds will come: north/south if the storm passes to the east or west, east/west if the storm passes directly overhead.

You can jack up the trailer and put timber cribbing underneath so that the suspension is not supporting any weight (or not much weight), so the trailer is less likely to rock and will be harder to start tipping. A trailer rocking wildly on its suspension is already half tipped over.

You can park the trailer behind (not inside) a building with solid masonry walls that are taller and longer than the trailer, so the trailer is in a "wind shadow." But if you do, make sure the trailer is farther from the wall than the height of the wall, so that if the wall collapses it's less likely to fall on the trailer. Not inside because if the building collapses and the trailer is inside, the chance is 100% that the building will fall on the trailer.

You can hitch up the tow vehicle to the trailer, complete with anti-sway and weight distribution in place. This increases the weight of the unit by a couple of tons. But the downside is that if the trailer does go over, the tow vehicle is probably going over with it.

Even one of these tactics would allow an Airstreeam to withstand a higher wind force. Several of these tactics in conjunction with each other will help even more. But without a doubt, what helps the most is moving the trailer completely out of harm's way before the storm arrives. Because there are many dangers associated with wind that don't require the trailer to tip over. Such as wind-blown debris, fallen trees or buildings, a neighbor's SOB trailer tipping over onto your Airstream, etc.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The best way to prevent it from tipping over is to hitch up, load up, and get out of there now...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:29 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Our 31' survived Andrew and Charley. It was the only RV still upright on the island it was stored on after Charley. I would recommend moving the trailer elsewhere while you still have time. Load it up and go camping somewhere far inland. If the storm goes where you had it parked, you saved the trailer. If not, you had a fun camping trip.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Hugo, 1989, Charleston

get out now

I was just up in Newfoundland and saw a trailer that was flipped over by the wind.

get out now
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I towed mine across I-40 from Clovis, NM to Palmer Lake, CO a few years ago and it is usually gusty and windy on that stretch of I-40. But it turned out there was a weather system coming across that area and I ended up traveling in record winds which were gusting over 80 mph. My opinion is that the trailer would be pushed sideways before it got blown over - within limits. That was straight line wind - a tornado is a whole different discussion of course as is debris hitting the trailer. The A/C shroud on mine was already weak due to age and it was mostly gone by the time I got home but the TV antenna survived just fine. I-80 is another stretch around Rawlins that gets pretty steady and powerful winds. Sure you could put an Airstream in a wind tunnel on a show like MythBusters and eventually roll it over probably by more pushing it over and tipping it on the tires. A 150 mph direct hit gust from a hurricane is, for me, an unknown
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
WyoGal

2015 25' FB International
Laramie , Wyoming
Wyoming Winds

Hello Windy Ones,
My 28' survived 91 mph winds here in Laramie. The thing didn't even budge, luckily it was end to the wind. The house vibrated like mad...
E
Evelyn Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
South Carolina

We are camping at Dreher Island State Park just south east of Columbia South Carolina. Historically this area is where South Carolinians go when a hurricane hits their coast. BUT... it looks like several scenarios show the eye of the storm heading for us as a Cat 1. If it is determined it is coming our way, we will hitch up and head what ever direction is away from the storm, although there are too many variables to know what to do at this time. The question of how close does a Cat 1 storm need to get to us before we decide to move is a difficult one, but we will go on the side of precaution.
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBeaubeaux View Post
We are camping at Dreher Island State Park just south east of Columbia South Carolina. Historically this area is where South Carolinians go when a hurricane hits their coast. BUT....

Sorry no advice to offer, consult office possibly.

BTW Dreher island is a favorite of ours.

Gary. about 90 miles east of you.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Hurricane Harvey

Here on North Padre Island. Left for a vacation to see kids in Fort Worth. Put hurricane shutters down for security while away with no indication of a hurricane hitting. Planned on taking the AS, but the electric jack went out. Unloaded everything and left to see kids without the AS. We had 95+ winds I am told from people who stayed. People across the street watched our AS look like is was going down the highway - was in the driveway with chocks and wood blocks under the jack. Lots of wind with rain. No damage and no leaks. Did not have storm surge.
2fromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Sorry no advice to offer, consult office possibly.

BTW Dreher island is a favorite of ours.

Gary. about 90 miles east of you.
Gary, if you are 90 miles east, then you are much closer to the coast than we are. What are your plans?

We also love this campground. Today it is 72 degrees and BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Shelter in place and do the best I can. My AS is in backyard under a strong double wide carport shelter. We do have some supplies, a Honda 3000 and the AS will be charged up, full of water and propane. Our "pod".

We're not hurricane veterans, local knowledge from experienced may be best advice.

Palmetto cove Cleveland sc is having the low country rally this weekend, about 100 miles NW up 26. I bet they would have space but call. and top of Georgia might be one to check on too.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Shelter in place and do the best I can.
I'm a hurricane veteran, and right up to the day I retired from the Corps of Engineers, my philosophy vis-à-vis "bug out" versus "hunker down" was to hunker down for a Cat3 or less, bug out for anything higher. But that's when I was tasked with doing post-hurricane damage assessments as soon as possible after a storm. For example, I was sent into the area affected by Hurricane Rita before the floodwaters had completely receded, and had to drive through standing saltwater as deep as the running boards on my SUV to reach some of the sites I had to survey.

Now that I'm retired, my philosophy is to bug out for a Cat1 or higher. At the very least, one can expect power outages, loss of services, delays in restocking shelves in stores, etc. There are plenty enough people who can't leave who need to take priority for post-storm aid.

I believe it's better that those who can get out do get out, even if they're not personally in any physical danger, even if it's only to avoid adding to the burden for those involved in recovery efforts. Unless of course you're responsible for giving care to those who can't leave, or for providing post-storm emergency or recovery services (fire, police, electrician, etc.) and need to stick around as long as you're not endangering life and limb.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Hurricane

Our AS was not damaged, but in my opinion LEAVE. People who stayed said they would never do it again. North Padre was spared, Port Aransas and Rockport demolished. Everything can be replaced, but life can't.
2fromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #19
Old Sailor

1983 34' Excella
Victoria , Texas
I live about halfway between Victoria and Cuero, Texas. On Friday before Harvey hit, I heard forecasts of 80 to 100 mph winds for our area and decided to take the dog and the Airstream and bug out. I went north of San Antonio to Guadalupe River State Park where they were welcoming evacuees by not charging any fees to stay in the park. Once the storm was over, I waited three days because the state highway website indicated that there was no way to get to my house because all the roads in were flooded.

Finally, on Thursday I decided to try to get there and my GPS found an alternate route down county roads and pig paths so I left the trailer in the park and drove down to assess the damages. There were shingles missing, fences blown down and trash everywhere but the most startling thing I saw was between Victoria and my house. I saw three SOB trailers lying on their sides and one completely upside down. I was really glad I left.

In talking with a neighbor, I determined that the electricity had been out for three days and had just come back on the day before. I went back to the park that day and the next day hooked up and went home. Those totally trashed SOB trailers sure made a believer out of me. My advice would be - DON'T RISK IT ... GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN.

Mac
"Mollie Bug" The Boston Terrier
WBCCI #4456 - Born to Cruise
McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I talked with a guy at Gulf State Park a few years ago (before I bought my first Airstream) and he told me of a storm in which a nearby fifth-wheel was overturned by the wind. Apparently an old guy in a 25' AS, parked nearby, didn't even wake up during the storm. My guess is that it didn't move much. I ain't swearing this is true, but I never caught the feller in a lie! ;-)
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote