Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Thumbs down How many did you look at?

Before you bought your first AS?

I read in another post how disappointing it can be to drive long distances and see units that are not what they were purported to be.

Boy, how true. We just spent a full day in travel to look at a one owner, vintage Trade Wind that had been only used 6 years and stored under cover ever since then. Two windows were shot out, mice had made nests in all the cabinets, and inside the oven, mice dirt everywhere, and the highlight of it all was the garbage pile *and much worse* in the bathroom. I am amazed that anyone would show an rv in that condition.

Sigh.
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I pretty much bought the first one I stepped into. I couldn't even find one to look at they were getting snapped up so fast. Paid top dollar and ended up doing a lot of work to it. Still don't regret it though!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
Been looking since July, about a dozen trailers, and still at it. The market's improving everyday as the weather cools off
asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We got lucky!

Never stepped foot inside one before the one we bought. Just went to look to see what one looked like inside...the rest is history!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Lucky

We bought the first one we looked at - had also never even been inside one prior to that.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I bought one off ebay and drove 750 miles with just some pictures i seen of it and hauled it back 750 miles with no problems thank god and it is in really good shape for a 1973 only a couple small things and the previous owner had already told me about them hope to get to use it real soon it was also the first one I had ever been into but I like all the retro 70's stuff

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
One, got lucky

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Got lucky. We'd been shopping ads, mostly Craigslist for several months. Ended up driving by ours parked along side Hwy 99 with a for sale sign only because I missed the turn to the Mukulteo ferry. Wrote down the phone number, called up and went back with the wife to look the next morning. She loved it, we made an offer close to the asking price and haven't seen a better deal since.

I think the moral of the story is "better lucky that good"

One thing I will say is don't rely too heavily on internet postings. Owners that don't have computer access are selling to a limited market and are less likely to be caught up in the "collectible" paradigm. It's also costing them more to advertise which means they are less likely to just hang out an absurd price and troll for someone that's desparate. I have noticed that there seems to be a big difference in values across the country.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
We got lucky also

In May, 2002, we decided to upgrade our camping lives from a cab-over camper on the PowerWagon to a trailer. It was a "no brainer" that the trailer would be an Airstream, my parents owned two different ones in the 1970's. Although I did not know much, we started looking in June, 2002 and found the Safari in August. We received many pictures from the prior owner and then drove 460 miles to look at it. We decided on the spot to purchase it. We wanted one which did not need work and that we could used immediately and we found it. Since we drove the mini van up to inspect, we went back in two weeks with the PowerWagon to bring it home.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
When we bought our first one, we really only looked at one. We had been internet shopping for a used one, and in the process went to our local A/S dealer just to check out floor plans, options, etc. When we finally found the used one that looked like would fit our needs, we drove 3 hours, liked it, bought it.

When looking for our second one, we drove to LA (4+ hours one way) and looked at one that I would have been embarassed to advertise. Of course it was "one of a kind", "great condition", etc. We turned around and drove back home. We drove up past Sacramento the next day (6 hrs one way) and looked at another one we had been considering. We didn't want to pay as much as they wanted so had put off looking at it. After looking, it was in supurb shape for the year, and we bought it.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
I didn't really buy one, Had no choice. My father gave me this one. I was not sure I wanted it, then did, then not again. It had been in storage for over 5 years and had to go to Calif. to get it. spent two and a half days going through it and removing all the old stuff, removing mice #$#&@ and checking everything, Doing a limited cleaning just to make it so we could camp on the way home. It has a large dent in the back do to storm (tree) damage last winter. after getting it home and going through it I find that it has rear end seperation and needs new axles. I have already redone the inside with new flooring and a good cleaning. have made it waterproof on the outside.
Been camping twice since I have had it home.
No regrets and I am hooked on the thing.

-Garth
garthbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Bought mine from pictures off RV Trader from a dealer in El Paso. Talked to him on the phone, sent the deposit after getting a copy of the title by Fax. Mark, the owner of the business, said he would return the deposit if we didn't like it, so we drove 700++ miles and hauled it home. It's an Argosy, something I never considered, but what a great trailer. No polishing!!! It was just as Mark had discribed it. I feel we were very lucky to have met an honest man with a great trailer. Have gone to inspect some trailers for others that were horrible.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I looked at 2 in the Phoenix area that I knew I would not buy, but looked at them any way. It helped me spot things that I had read about on the forums. I did an 1800 mile round trip one weekend to buy one which I walked away from as well as a $300 deposit. I then got in touch with a forum member who was selling his trailer (he had bought a project). Drove 500 miles bought the trailer. I am very happy with this trailer. It pays to wait. Do not be afraid to let one go. I have seen too many posts on the forums from people who should have walked away.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Results may not be typical...not counting window shopping

We were lucky too, our first Airstream was only the second one we looked at within a 45 minute drive of home, advertised in the local paper. We hit the jackpot with a super senior who maintained everything and had lots of spare parts. Our second Airstream was the first one we looked at. Of course I'm not counting all the drooling I have done looking online, here in the forum, and at rallies...
Old 10-10-2006, 05:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
We called about many only to find out they had sold Then we called on one we saw here listed under the classifieds, drove 600 miles and bought it.
So yes we bought the first one we looked at.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
We also got lucky, been sort of looking around for about a year. I was off on a 2 month job, got back went on line that nite and found what we were looking for 2 hrs. away. Called the dealer the next morning, drove up there and bought it. It was exactly what we were looking for at an unbelievable price. It was if the planets lined up just for us and this AS.
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
We looked for 3 years on line, in news papers, anywhere we could find one advertised. We would drive 2-4 hours just to see the model we were looking for. We finally found the one we wanted 750 miles from home. We drove there on a Fri. night bought it on Sat. and came home Sun.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #18
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We bought the fifth trailer we looked at the first time around. went all over the place within 5hours of Orange County.
Then for our second trailer, we bought the 3rd one we considered, which was the first one we actually loked at, if that makes sense.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
LOokEd aT tHreE
BoUGht tHreE
(sOLd onE)

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Bloomfield Hills , Michigan
Tale of two Trailers

We bought our 1989 29 ft Excella sight unseen. We never even talked to the PO. Just pictures and email. We made a deal with the PO to deliver the Excella from Kansas to Michigan. The first time we saw it was at a year round camp site in Western Michigan.
Our 1976 24 ft Argosy we did see and bought it that day on EBAY. We enjoyed repairing and cleaning up the Argosy but we found having two trailers very confusing; Whatever we needed was in the other trailer. So after 18 months we sold the Argosy on EBAY to a buyer from Maryland who never saw the Argosy until they arrived in Michigan to pick it up. They were happy and we were happy.
Today we use the bigger and more comfortable Excella and I feel it tows just the same as the Argosy.

1989 Excella 29
Hensley Arrow
Garmin Nuvi 50

AIR 4580 - Join Date: 03-10-2004
breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote