Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2003, 10:03 AM   #1

How do I properly set up an awning?

Hi everyone. I am a new member and have found some great information on this site. I recently purchased a 22' 1967 Safari and am in the process of remodeling it (I will post pictures as soon as I buy a digital camera - any suggestions?). I think I know my way around all parts of the trailer, except for the awning. It looks to be an original 9' x 12' Faulkner Crest awning that rolls into an attached bag for storage. The bag has a rope attached that runs the length of the bag and slides into the track on the curb side of the trailer. There are four grommets along the long edge of the awning for the four telescoping poles. I understand the mechanics of everything so far, however, I am confused about the proper use of the following items: 6 aluminum stakes; 6 springs approx. 8" in length and 1" in diameter; 4 hollow aluminum tubes approx. 6" in length and 1" in diameter and marked in 1" increments (2 tubes have indented holes approx. 1" from one end, and 2 tubes have indented holes in the center); 6 strings of chain, each approx 8' in length with an S hook attached at one end of each chain; and finally, one wooden stake.

I am assuming that the chain, stakes and springs are used as shrouds to hold the poles in place, but what about the four tubes? What holds the awning down on the poles and keeps the wind from blowing it off the poles? Any tips would be greatly appreciated before I attempt to set this up on my own on our first outing. Thanks!
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: How do I properly set up an awning?

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianB
Hi everyone. I am a new member and have found some great information on this site. I recently purchased a 22' 1967 Safari and am in the process of remodeling it (I will post pictures as soon as I buy a digital camera - any suggestions?). I think I know my way around all parts of the trailer, except for the awning. It looks to be an original 9' x 12' Faulkner Crest awning that rolls into an attached bag for storage. The bag has a rope attached that runs the length of the bag and slides into the track on the curb side of the trailer. There are four grommets along the long edge of the awning for the four telescoping poles. I understand the mechanics of everything so far, however, I am confused about the proper use of the following items: 6 aluminum stakes; 6 springs approx. 8" in length and 1" in diameter; 4 hollow aluminum tubes approx. 6" in length and 1" in diameter and marked in 1" increments (2 tubes have indented holes approx. 1" from one end, and 2 tubes have indented holes in the center); 6 strings of chain, each approx 8' in length with an S hook attached at one end of each chain; and finally, one wooden stake.

I am assuming that the chain, stakes and springs are used as shrouds to hold the poles in place, but what about the four tubes? What holds the awning down on the poles and keeps the wind from blowing it off the poles? Any tips would be greatly appreciated before I attempt to set this up on my own on our first outing. Thanks!
Well The springs are used to keep tenssion on the awning. The tops of the poles will go through the gromits on the awning. The chains will go over the tip of the poles and prevent the awning from being able to come off the poles.
The tubes you have me on.

I would be very interested in seeing some pictures. We have a 1959 Caravanner 22ft and we don't have the awning for it but plan to get one.

As for the camera. I have a Olympus 3020 3.1 mega pixiles. VERY happy with it. It a already expired model but a newer version is still available.

When shopping for a camera you need to have an idea of how you plan to use it. if you only plan to use it for e-mail and internet postings then a lower pixile count will be fine. On the internet it's not needed and anything over 1.5 will make a good quality picture for the net.

Where the mega pixiles become important is when you plan to print pictures. the higher the number the better the resolution and the bigger you can print it. Over 3.0 Mega pixles is where you get excelent quality 4x6 prints, good 8x10. 4.0+ mega pixles is where you get a excelent quality 8x10.

Now with a little education you can make a decision.
I have the Olympus. It's a little bigger but has a really good Zoom.
My wife has a Sony that's compact, takes good pictures but not as much zoom.

Both of ours are over 3.0 Megapixles and I don't have a bad thing to say about either other then I wish the Sony used a regular flash card and not a "Sony Memory stick" Flash card are a little less expensive and a little more universal.

Now one of my points in getting the Olympus that I did was it can run on regular AA batteries if need be. As a accessory I bought a set of NMHi rechargable batteries for it. I also have a 128meg card. On mid level resolution setting (decent 4x6 print) I can take 150+ pictures on the card.

My sister has the Nikon Cool pics 995. Very good optics and will also do better macro's but it was over $150 more them my Olympus. Again it has a special battery pack.

Now my tip of the day!
www.dealtime.com
Find the camera that has the features your looking for. find the lowest price and print it out. Hit you local stores and sweet talk them into price matching. I managed to get $100 off my Olympus at Target. I got a $130 of My Sony Video camera. I got $80 off my Garmin GPS V.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote