Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Hoffman Architecture, Living Vehicle

Has anyone seen one of the Hoffman Architecture’s Living Vehicles in person? Although it is basically a box shape, the interiors are very clean and classy like their customized Airstreams. There are a lot of other things that I like including aluminum, not wood floors, VHB tape for wall construction, double pane windows, great insulation, etc.

Definitely not as towable as an Airstream but it sure would be nice for longer boondocking stays and the interior is killer.

I hope to be able to check one out in person this winter if we end up in Santa Barbara.

http://www.livingvehicle.com/
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Looks like a shiny tiny house on wheels. Nice design exercise.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:50 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
Whoa.
DannyClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Towing that would be no fun at all.

"Sustainable" used as buzz word. Not applicable. Complete lack of aerodynamic design -- principles worked out nearly a century ago -- means a very high fuel consumption rate in a move (and that the tow vehicle be fuel inefficient by necessity). Kills any idea of comparisons to other rigs.

Lack of awnings or an equivalent means greater reliance on forced cooling. Etc.

Worse, with wheels recessed under walls -- thus a narrow track with weight attached to walls out side those -- it is more easily rolled. Wheel faces should have been outside walls to enhance stability. Huge design flaw.

As loss-of-control accidents are primarily about wind-handling, the only thing worse would have been this exact trailer as shown, but with leaf-sprung suspension.

Lack of radiused upper & lower side walls (plus low ground clearance) means wind pressure will build along the length of the vehicle with greatest pressure at rear. The wind cannot escape (with an AS the winds travel over and exert a "pull" rather than a "push"; a lesser effect). And as the suspension reaches wheel travel limits, this trailer will heel over, high ground clearance enabling that wind to also (at rear) get underneath. SOB particle-board TT performance at a yachtsman price.

Anti-lock disc brakes should also have been featured. No excuse for it.

It's a trailer that one moves from site to site. Not for travel in any meaningful sense.

Yet,

Gorgeous. Those folks know how to use photography.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
To me it has all of the charm of a commercial walk-in freezer.

Though I'll admit the fold-down porch and sliding glass door lend themselves to filling a previously unfilled niche in the market, namely handicapped-accessible RVing. Add a ramp to that porch, and you could have a fine wheel-chair accessible trailer.

On the other hand, lots of small commuter airplanes use fold-down airstair doors, so it would be entirely possible to put an entry porch and wheelchair ramp on the side of a curved trailer like an Airstream, if it was properly engineered.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Some things I really like about it:

1. A comprehensive boondocking solution: solar, lithium, inverter.

2. Comprehensive WiFi and cellular data solution.

3. Four season trailer with double-pane windows.

4. Options such as dishwasher and washer/dryer.

Competition is healthy and perhaps AS will step up their game in some of these areas.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #7
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hitch weight spec’ed at 1,100 pounds. Wow!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
My 26U claims 900# and I'm at 1200# loaded. I want to know where they hid the lead.
DannyClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Don't think that one is 1/2 ton towable...
It is very nice- very well appointed, very thoughtfully laid out.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Santa Barbara , California
First and foremost, we at Hofmann want to extend our thanks to everyone who’s checked out Living Vehicle! We appreciate any and all feedback as it gives us a chance to address any confusion regarding our new product.
There appears to be a vitally flawed misperception of Living Vehicle’s intended purpose. We believe this is because airforums.com almost exclusively discusses Recreational Vehicles, and although LV makes a phenomenal part-time living and camping vessel, it is NOT an RV.

Living Vehicle is engineered to be a primary residence. Our guiding principles in designing this vessel were self-containment, self-sustainability, and full-time living capability. For instance, the angular shape, although perceivably less aerodynamic, allots more surface area for roof solar panels and allows the interior to resemble the four-walls-feel of a primary residence. It’s hard to feel truly “at home” in a tubular shaped structure where anyone over 6-feet is constantly worried about hitting their head upon entry.

Although its primary objective is to sustainably support full-time living, LV is designed by travelers and thoughtfully constructed with portability in mind. The Off-Road-Package increases ground clearance and strengthens the chassis and axles to industry-leading standards, improving capacity for heavy travel over steep grade changes and road types.

Off-Road Package Specs Include:
24” High Departure Ground Clearance
Four-Point 12V App-Controlled Stabilizers
Max CCC – High Capacity Axles
7” High Capacity A-Frame
15,000 # Bulldog Coupler

For more detailed information regarding portability, see the Specs and Features pages of our website.

What we’re excited about is LV’s off-the-grid capability. In its current version, Living Vehicle can already sustain 2 people living conservatively and fully off-the-grid for approximately 30 days. As these technologies for self-containment (solar/wind power, water-collection apparatuses, etc.) become cheaper and accessible for installation, LV's will be even more off-the-grid capable and less dependent on natural resources.

Living Vehicle is our contribution to providing a sustainable and intentional lifestyle. It’s a fully-functioning home that can take on the mobile demands of any lifestyle, all the while promoting a revival in the appreciation of elegant simplicity in our culture.

Learn more at livingvehicle.com.
bradrm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrm00 View Post
There appears to be a vitally flawed misperception of Living Vehicle’s intended purpose. We believe this is because airforums.com almost exclusively discusses Recreational Vehicles, and although LV makes a phenomenal part-time living and camping vessel, it is NOT an RV.
Learn more at livingvehicle.com.
bradrm00: Since you say, this is not a RV, I am curious, what market do you have in mind to sell to? I am guessing full timers, that rarely move from place to place?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Nice contender in the bourgeoning tiny house movement. Something for everyone...
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrm00 View Post

It’s hard to feel truly “at home” in a tubular shaped structure where anyone over 6-feet is constantly worried about hitting their head upon entry.

Hi - I see this is your first post here and you're part of the company referenced in this thread.

So - welcome to Airforums. [emoji3]

The pictures of your LV are outstanding and there are some exciting features. Your description of its purpose makes sense. The videos describing features and design ideas are compelling as well.

I am, however, slightly offended with the portion of your post quoted above for two reasons.

1) this is quite an assumption on your part, and insulting (unintentionally no doubt) to someone like myself, just under 6'2" who feels quite at home in my "tubular shaped structure" without worry about hitting my head. Such may be hard for you or your clients to feel at home, but that's not a universal story.

2) every product has a niche - I'm personally not a fan of positioning competition in the negative rather than extolling the features and benefits of your own product for buyers in that particular niche.

Those are my personal reactions of course and people's mileage can vary there.

Please have a look around and I think you'll find this to be a fascinating group of AS and Vintage Kin owners who are a very helpful community to fellow owners. I think you have the option of registering as a vendor/commercial user as well.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
From what I've seen, I'm very impressed. I hope to see one in person, too.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Well said, SteveSueMac.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Santa Barbara , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
bradrm00: Since you say, this is not a RV, I am curious, what market do you have in mind to sell to? I am guessing full timers, that rarely move from place to place?
Hi! Thanks for the reply and questions.

Our intention is to provide another option within multiple markets. Our goal is to provide a more sustainable option to housing, as well as recreational use. Although the unit is designed and manufactured for full-time living, it still functions just as a part time unit would. The unit which is RVIA certified, has exceptional capabilities to be your own full-time home or part-time home.
bradrm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
So, with certification it’s a porky RV, after all. Got it.

Just needs a Class 4 truck to move it.

And personal vehicles besides.

That’s, sustainability in a nutshell.

Sell all you can. But try not to torture the language overmuch.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
So, it looks like an RV, has about as much space as an RV, but isn't an RV?
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck. I bet it IS a duck.

Fun fact: The average commercial white duck generates 85 GALLONS of droppings a year...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:54 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Sometime , Alabama
I really like a lot of the features of this design for full time traveling.

If it could just weigh in at less than 10,000 lbs
with less than 1,000 lbs hitch weight.
bigcountry is offline   Reply With Quote