Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Victoria , British Columbia
History on Airstreams using WBCCI #

Hi there, I was curious to know if with the member number at the front of the trailer we could find the history and where the Airstream originated from. My wife and I are looking at a one in Alberta, there seams to be a number at the front that has been removed. As we live in British Colombia, I only have ad pictures to look through at the moment. The first 4 numbers are 1246… It looks like the last number could be a 5,6.

I took a look at the Air# registry and I can find a few options but no trailer specs which doesn’t really help me.

I understand that the climate that the Airstream has lived in does matter when purchasing a 1969/ older trailer which is why I am interested in its history.

Thanks for the Help!
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The WBCCI numbers are not necessarily unique and belong to the WBCCI member, not the trailer. The same number could have belonged to different people with different trailers in different locations at different times. Without knowing the date that the trailer was registered with that number, you can't find out much. Someone with access to the directories for each year could identify the names and locations when someone had that number, but it might not be the same trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have had the same number on two different trailers so far. Pretty common.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
OK. The current owner just got back to me and she has a record from a registration in 2006 from South Carolina. I guess that helps me know that it hasn’t been in the harsh Canadian winters for to to long..
Old 01-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1936 20' Clipper
Reno , Nevada
I've owned an Airstream for only 4 years and have wondered about the WBCCI #.

why would an Airstream owner bother having or creating such a # ?
1936RoadWarrior
Old 01-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you join the WBCCI you either pick a number or are assigned one. Why you would join is your decision and depends a lot on whether you want to part of AS history or not. Good camping
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
If you join the WBCCI you either pick a number or are assigned one. Why you would join is your decision and depends a lot on whether you want to part of AS history or not. Good camping
It is part of the Airstream tradition. I believe it is worthwhile tradition to continue. Without is it the Trailers are just an other overpriced camper.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
OK. The current owner just got back to me and she has a record from a registration in 2006 from South Carolina. I guess that helps me know that it hasn’t been in the harsh Canadian winters for to to long..
If you are concerned about the trailer's condition as a prospective buyer, I would have to caution you that the "harsh" Canadian winter is not to be feared per se as much as whether or not the trailer has had leaks in it (water coming in from the top or sides of the trailer.) Since very few trailers travel on snow covered roads, road salt is not going to have had much of an impact on the unit's condition. Ocean salt from camping on the beach (think South Carolina) is more likely to cause corrosion than is road salt. If you intend to use the trailer more or less "as is" (vs. a complete restoration) then I would first verify that all the systems work (e.g., the hot water heater, AC, furnace, water pump, fridge batteries, charger/converter, tires, brakes, running lights, etc..) Make a note of that needs to be replaced and/or repaired and adjust the price accordingly (if the unit was advertised as fully functional.) Then I would look for any soft spots on the floor (check every square inch with a small probe such as a screwdriver and walk around in your bare feet to check for sagging.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
If you are concerned about the trailer's condition as a prospective buyer, I would have to caution you that the "harsh" Canadian winter is not to be feared per se as much as whether or not the trailer has had leaks in it (water coming in from the top or sides of the trailer.) Since very few trailers travel on snow covered roads, road salt is not going to have had much of an impact on the unit's condition. Ocean salt from camping on the beach (think South Carolina) is more likely to cause corrosion than is road salt. If you intend to use the trailer more or less "as is" (vs. a complete restoration) then I would first verify that all the systems work (e.g., the hot water heater, AC, furnace, water pump, fridge batteries, charger/converter, tires, brakes, running lights, etc..) Make a note of that needs to be replaced and/or repaired and adjust the price accordingly (if the unit was advertised as fully functional.) Then I would look for any soft spots on the floor (check every square inch with a small probe such as a screwdriver and walk around in your bare feet to check for sagging.

Hey this is great info! Thank you for that. I totally agree on the salt note, makes complete sense. Thanks!