Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2004, 07:01 AM   #61
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
TTT

Hello! We know you are here, so sign up and join the party!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:33 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Smile New here, don't own one (yet)

Hi,
I'm new here! My hubby and I have been talking about buying an AS for a long time now, still saving up some money though. I posted a long time ago, but I guess my account expired so I re-registered. The last time I posted about wanting one, I remember being asked about the tow vehicle, ours is a Chevy 2001 Silverado 4x4. My husband says the truck can tow 6 or 7,000 lbs. Does that sound about right?

We want to get one as big as possible because my husband is a big guy and needs room, but I have no idea what to look for, we want to start looking at them in person though to get an idea of what's out there. We live in Northern California. Definitely want a used one, vintage would be fine, really banged up especially with a bad interior wouldn't be a problem, my husband's a contractor and can do just about anything remodel-wise, and is good with cars generally. We wouldn't mind gutting the interior and re-doing it. So, a decent shell is all we're asking for? I think? We're babes in the woods on this sort of.

Any ideas or suggestions, or even just a "hi" from anyone would be nice!

Ingrid
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:36 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhopeful
Hi,
Any ideas or suggestions, or even just a "hi" from anyone would be nice!

Ingrid
OK, HI!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:39 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Thumbs up

OK, just kidding. Don't have any answers for you about that, but a big ol hello from St. Louis.

We're rehabing a 76 Overlander for my Aunt that lives somewhere out there in California, Falbrook I think. Cant wait to finish it so we can drive it out there. You can see pics (not quite updated) on the www. listed below. I have been terrified to do much of anything to it, but as I tear things out, I realize these airstreams are SO simple.....

Welcome, you have plenty of friends here!
Ron, and Tony
Old 04-01-2004, 09:46 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
hi back!

Whoa! I was just admiring your web site at tincanluv.com when I got an email from you. I love the work you've done! Yeah it's terrifying, but never as hard as it seems. And very rewarding. Just like a house. You can find answers on the internet and an expert can do the big stuff for you.

I'm not sure where to start looking. There was a rally near us at the Russian River Area here in CA last October and we were going to head up there and poke around, but the day sort of came and went and we never did it. If you hear of any tips on where to look in person I'd appreciate it. When I get my husband to see things in person, he starts catching the bug too. We're not necessarily ready to buy yet but we want to make a sound decision (one with "good bones" but needs TLC).

Old 04-01-2004, 09:52 PM   #66

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You may not find one to buy, but this would probably be a fun place to go look and learn. Check out this link for the Silver Trailer Social. Sounds like it's close to home for you. If you go I'll see you there.

http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/gather.htm

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
I bought the first one, the little Safari in the field, to resell. I wanted to have one for keeps, but wasn't financially sound to do so. I agreed to buy the little safari (Joey) without even seeing the inside. Thought he was asking way too much for it....( wow, did I find out what a good deal I got on it!!!) after picking it up, and heading the 4 1/2 hours home, we had decided to keep it, and bear the financial strain of the 24% interest rate loan that paid for it....since I've sunk deeper in debt, but with an A/S it's DEFINATELY an investment.

And as you said. IT's like rehabing a house, which I bought two years ago, and have done many things over, just out of boredome, it was time to find a new hobby...

And right about that time, the entrepenurial (sp?) aunt wanted to jump on the Airstream craze, and resell them. She hasn't made it past the first one without deciding that she's keeping it....

Happy to have another to play with. In fact. Tearing hers apart has helped us in understanding ours better, which doesn't need as much work.

So that's the story. Just would advise to pick one up before the prices skyrocket,,,like the gasoline prices...overnight.... Best of luck and feel free to keep in touch. My aunt lets me know of any she sees in CA, so I would be happy to pass an info on to you.

ROn
Old 04-01-2004, 10:00 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hey!

Thanks for that! That was the same event we were going to go to last year, I think. I couldn't find it. We are less than an hour away from Calistoga. I've marked my calendar this time and we're going to do it. Keep in touch and maybe we can say hi there.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:07 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Yes, please do let me know if you know of any out here. That's funny; my husband says he wants to fix them up and sell them too. That's fine with me, as long as I have my favorite one to keep. Real estate prices here are so insane, we can't even afford to buy a fixer-upper to resell, so he does existing homes remodels because that's where the demand is. Everyone is buying these rotting houses for an arm and a leg.

We're also thinking we could use it for extra living space, the home office, guest quarters, etc. We want to use every square inch of our home (it's pretty small but we have a big driveway; go figure).

I'm almost afraid to look because I know I'll start whining for one, and my husband will crack under spousal pressure and he'll get one before we can "afford it" (does "affording" ever really happen?)
Old 04-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
My new found Forum Friend Panub (grew up down the street from where I live now, and now lives down the street from where I grew up - small world) said Today that they have traveled SO MUCH since they bought there new A/S in Aug. of last year. And everywhere they went htey received the royal treatment. All of the SOB (have you figured out what an SOB is yet?) (took me a while....) owners wouldn't talk to them, think they are snobish because the must have money owning an airstream

So, if people want to THINK that I can afford my baby, that's just fine with me. The way I look at it, making minimum payments, I'll have it paid off somwhere around 2099. LOL

I get a chuckle when my cousin on the other side of the family (I'm a rambler, can you tell....) comes here from San Fran. She says she could buy several houses here for the price of her little house....It's amazing!!!

R
Old 04-02-2004, 10:37 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Good morning!

Yes it is amazing. We wouldn't be living here if we hadn't purchased a house when we did; I was born and raised here, I'm rooted. I would hate to leave. If we sold and ever wanted to come back and buy again, forget it. Sure, we'd have a small fortune, but I'd miss my family and the area so much.

That's what we want to do, travel travel travel...but we don't want an airstream that's *super* big; after all, it's just me, my husband and our daughter.

OK I give up; what does SOB mean anyway?? Still On...uh...something? I'm terrible at these things!
Old 04-02-2004, 11:49 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Welcome Ingrid!

It is nice to have another Bay Area forum member! There doens't seem to be too many of us. I wish you luck in finding that perfect unit. Many mebers will voluteer to check out a unit for you if you find one far away. Just ask. Good luck!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
OK I give up; what does SOB mean anyway?? Still On...uh...something? I'm terrible at these things!
Some
Other
Brand

...at least in this circle!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 12:14 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hi there back!

Hi there!

I was wondering how to get in touch with other Bay Area Airstreamers; I guess this was a good start. Thanks for writing. I'm in Alameda. I should do what you did, put the tow vehicle info on my signature, so I can remember what the heck it is...I know there are some other things about what we bought when we got the truck that made it tow more or something. I don't know about these things!

i
Old 04-02-2004, 12:16 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Oh I never would have gotten it. hehe that's good.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:18 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Airstreamhopeful, fair warning! You may rename yourselves Airstreamprideful, sooner than you think! We joined the Forum about a year ago, asking questions because we had long-time yearnings for an Airstream. At that time, we thought we would like an 80's era motorhome. Now, (we are still slightly shocked that we did it!) our new-to-us 1995 Classic Limited Airstream comes home tomorrow. She's not a motorhome after all, but she found us! Start looking, keep reading and asking questions, and enjoy all the information and comraderie of the Forum.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 09:42 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Oh man, how are you ever going to get to sleep tonight? How exciting! I've looked around for pictures of that model but haven't found one yet. Enjoy your day tomorrow, take pictures!

We're deciding on what length to get, my husband is big at over 300 lbs with the build of a football player, so we're arguing over size. I'd be happy with 17' but he's trying to talk me into 25 to 31. Hopefully we'll agree on something in the middle, along the lines of maybe 21' to 23'.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:10 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hello Guest!!

Greetings Airstreamhopeful!

Quote:
We're deciding on what length to get, my husband is big at over 300 lbs with the build of a football player, so we're arguing over size. I'd be happy with 17' but he's trying to talk me into 25 to 31. Hopefully we'll agree on something in the middle, along the lines of maybe 21' to 23'.
Depending upon the Vintage of the coach that you are seeking, you can find a number of floorplans that provide wonderful accommodations. As a large person myself, I have found the older coaches with the rear bathrooms to be most comfortable as they are far less likely to have claustraphobic showers or miniscule "water-closets". When I was shopping for my first Airstream, I passed on several newer side bath coaches as I simply could not tolerate the confinement of the bahtrooms - - when I found my '64 Overalnder with its large rear bath and comfortable center-twin beds there was no question that it would be my coach. The Overlander has been an ideal coach, and I have taken it on trips from weekenders to an eight week tour of the western US not to mention living in the coach for four months while searching for a house when I moved four years ago. My 20' Minuet 6.0 Metre has also been a wonderfully comfortable small coach - - easy to tow at a gross weight of only 3,100 pounds.

In more recent vintages, there are a few side bath floorplans that have very nice arrangements with plenty of room. It seems, however, in the more recent coaches it takes 29' or more to get a bathroom that would provide a level of comfort for long-term use for a larger person. I generally travel for about eight weeks each summer and detest campground bathrooms so a comfortable bath in my coach is a number one priority in my coach selection.

Good luck in your search for the ideal coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:42 AM   #79
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Happy hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhopeful
Oh man, how are you ever going to get to sleep tonight? How exciting! I've looked around for pictures of that model but haven't found one yet. Enjoy your day tomorrow, take pictures!

Hopeful... getting to sleep is easy the first night you have an Airstream... you sleep IN IT!!!

Don't skimp on the size of the trailer. If hubby's big, give him enough room to be comfortable. It'll make all the difference in the world whether or not you enjoy your travels. I'm 6'5" tall, and trust me when I tell you that if a bed isn't comfortable or I have to 'squeeze' in somewhere, I get cranky pretty quickly.

Kevin's assessment of the facilities are right on. We have the 34' tri-axle with the open bath between the kitchen and bedroom, and it's the ONLY way to go for slightly-oversized folks. You can see photos of it in my album.

Good luck in your hunt. Look at every Airstream that comes up for sale, even if it's not one you think you're particularly interested in. You'll soon know what to expect for year/condition and what materials and layouts were used in what years. Eventually, you'll find THE coach that has the combination of interior features, layout, condition, and price that says "Take me home". And if you've done your homework, you'll know it's "The One" and be prepared to scoop it without 'buyers remorse' later.

If you're looking at coaches you have to finance, contact your financing source now and find out how much you can afford, and get a loan pre-approved. When you find the coach you want, it'll merely be a matter of writing the check for the deposit/down payment, and then supplying the VIN, etc. to the finance folks to get your check.

I advocate moving quickly on the coach of your choice when you find it, as REALLY nice ones that are reasonably prices don't last long. As Airstreams continue to grow in popularity, the competition among buyers is driving the prices up on some coaches, and they're not depreciating as much on the newer ones.

Good luck in your hunt.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:26 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
If you have a tow vehicle that can handle the weight, do not be afraid of a 31 footer. You probably can't tell the difference between a 23 and a 31 going down the road. It is really nice to have the extra room inside, especially if you are a couple with pets and/or children. If you are planning on state parks, though, some will not handle or have restrictions on anything over 25', but many are updating to handle the larger rigs, that rich Airstreamers are able to afford.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote