Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2023, 07:00 AM   #41
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I have a degree in economics. Tell the home builders we aren’t in a recession; or the real estate people we aren’t in a recession. Or the banking industry. Or the people that have lost 20 to 30% of their wealth in the markets. The first 2 quarters were negative growth. The BLS over shot employment by 1 million jobs from March to June. BLS statistics are notoriously bad. And they missed the numbers on jobs. This was revealed by the Philadelphia FED.

https://www.philadelphiafed.org/-/me...-q2-report.pdf

My guess is with all the wealth destruction going on right now we are in a recession. Of 39 leading indicators 26 are negative. Only 2 are positive. 11 are neutral. And some of the neutral are hanging on by the skin of their teeth and there is some question as to the accuracy of the BLS statistics.
Econo-mists are a bit like weather people...they LOVE charts and often are rong.

My take...recession is any time we don't have enough resourcesses, happily we are retired so that isn't a worry now, planning helps.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-26-2023, 07:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Getting back to the original question in the thread, I have gone from an Airstream to another brand. I didn’t go “back” to another brand because my Airstream was my first RV. I sold the Airstream and bought a Newmar Class A diesel pusher.

My experience with the Airstream was a good one. Like many people here, I had my share of little issues and things that needed to be fixed. This is common in all RVs. There were a few things that surprised me in terms of build quality for such an expensive trailer, but I dealt with them. Airstream ownership was a positive experience and we enjoyed it for the time we owned it.

The Newmar is not without little issues either, but I haven’t seen as many issues. The build quality is outstanding, and I’ve noticed that many of the things that I had to add or modify in the Airstream are already included in the Newmar. Overall, it’s just easier to manage than the Airstream. We bought a Class A rig because I retired and we have plans for more RV travel. We wanted something bigger than our Airstream. I really didn’t want to buy a bigger truck and Class A rigs made sense to us. I’m very pleased with the switch to “some Other Brand”.

If we ever decide to go back to a travel trailer, then it will most certainly be another Airstream.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 02:41 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Might I ask what you had? I’ve been looking and they look like a very nice produce. Looking to seriously downsize. Find ease and portability to be #1 priority for me now…

I’m so over the big units. Big trucks. Big stuff. Big hassles.
We currently own a 2022 Nucamp T@B400. After 15200 kilometres last year towing across Canada and lots of gravel roads we still haven’t had a single issue. We are totally happy with the product and would recommend it to anyone.

But we are looking at the base camp 20 in case we go the electric mountain bike route in a few years. We’ll tow it with a Cybertruck and change up how we camp a bit. But too early to tell right now. We are just starting our season in a couple weeks and we’ll see how the hiking with my knees goes. . Otherwise e-mountain bikes are in our future. .

Here are a few shots of the inside of our T@B. Hope that helps.

Downsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:42 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Been there…

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFC View Post
Our Spring Break trip to CO and UT with my Son’s family has me thinking about just that. They have an Outdoors RV trailer with many features that I’m a bit jealous of, including automatic leveling, larger tanks, and most obviously during our trip, 4 season camping set up. While we were dry camping and struggling to stay warm some nights in Ouray, they were fully functional with water and much better insulation keeping the heat in, burning through their propane a bit slower than we were.

Does it have the panache of the Airstream? No, but it might be a better fit for how we want to camp over the next decade. It also doesn’t have a bad case of front end separation that needs JC attention, but I suppose it will fall apart in its own way.

No danger of actually switching as my dear wife loves the Airstream, but I’d make the switch in a heartbeat.
After struggling to find a home for our vintage aluminum sided Sunnybrook, we bought a Creekside from Outdoors in 2014. We loved the layout (rear dinette), insulation and thermowindows, and the all around storage. After a year in FL, the fiberglass toward the front started to delaminate. And, it towed like a parachute out west. On the day we traded in for our first A-S, we noticed the floor was soft because of an undetected leak around a skylight.
Even with the frustrating appliance failures on the Bambi, we didn’t consider another make when moving up in size “two feet” to our present trailer.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:57 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
YES

In fact have been in the new trailer a 36’ fifth wheel (Van Leigh) for about a week now. The Airstream (27 International) just got too too small after just under 3 years on the road. Due to life events we never got back to the house during that time and are now spending winters in a single location in SWFL for the foreseeable future.

Needed more room, comfort, flexibility when full timing. We’re in the trailer a minimum of 6 months plan is 9 months a year (3 traveling and 5 in SWFL). Love having a full size kitchen, den (2 recliners plus sofa and 50” tv), king size bed.

I left the forum a while ago cause I was accused of being an Airstream apologist (never had any real issues with ours except the electric awning which we replaced with a manual).

Time will tell with the new unit but Tiffin is known for customer service who will be servicing Van Leigh given the closure of the 5th wheel line.

So net net different solutions for different needs/use cases.
I’m so happy for you….now that you’ve recognized you bought an Airstream which was too small for you and found SOB that is larger and therefore decided it was Airstreams’ error.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:50 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Two weeks ago I helped my brother retrieve a 2 year old used 5th wheel. Grand Design Reflection 303 - great floor plan for two people. It is quite spacious inside and I could definitely see owning something like this if I were staying in one spot for a month. He is new to RV'ing and I have been helping him with the learning curve but it is now quite the learning curve for me too. The trailer has an auto leveling system, 3 slides, mechanical systems and awning are tied into a wifi system so they can be controlled from your phone and a fireplace. I started reading the owners manual and was thinking how much more complex this trailer is than my old AS. MY old AS seems so simple and easy to use. Each definitely have their pro's and con's. I like my AS for traveling but the 5th wheel is undoubtedly better for being in one place for a length of time.
Propride 3P Hitch
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:55 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I’m so happy for you….now that you’ve recognized you bought an Airstream which was too small for you and found SOB that is larger and therefore decided it was Airstreams’ error.
Not what I said, Not Airstream’s error in any way, I said an Airstream doesn’t meet everyone’s needs, my needs changed my trailer changed.

That’s what I love about the Internet forums especially this one (worse than the Porsche site), one this form the sun rises and sets with Airstream period - it doesn’t sorry to burst your bubble.

The question was who changed?
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:11 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Anyone going to an SOB, please make sure you know every singles caulked seem.

We had a 2004 Fleetwood that we bought new. Floor was rotted to nothing within 6 years. There was supposed to be caulking where the wheel pans met the body. They didn’t get caulked and there was a trim molding placed over it.
Old 04-28-2023, 05:32 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Rancho Cordova , California
If they did buy an SOB after their Airstream they probably won't be posting on the AirForum website...unless of course they wanted to stir hate and discontent by hitting some of the more volatile threads just for fun.
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:25 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I still post on these forums because I enjoy the people and the discussions. No hate here… I think Airstreams are awesome.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 02:21 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Has anyone had Airstream and then went back to SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Not what I said, Not Airstream’s error in any way, I said an Airstream doesn’t meet everyone’s needs, my needs changed my trailer changed.
You actually didn’t even say that. You just said you wanted a bigger trailer for your needs. And you even said you had no real issue with your Airstream, it was just a set of trade offs. Completely appropriate response to the original question and very bizarre response to your neutral comments about your personal journey. I wish I could say I was surprised, but very typical of these forums.
hikingcamera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:59 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
Anyone going to an SOB, please make sure you know every singles caulked seem.

We had a 2004 Fleetwood that we bought new. Floor was rotted to nothing within 6 years. There was supposed to be caulking where the wheel pans met the body. They didn’t get caulked and there was a trim molding placed over it.
You mean like many of the 2005 Airstreams that never got the seem where the bumper cover plate goes between the shell and the floor caulked? Apparently the person caulking it stopped doing that job and wasn't replaced until a year later when Airstream started getting complaints of the floor rotting away on trailers less then 1 year old.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:16 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
You mean like many of the 2005 Airstreams that never got the seem where the bumper cover plate goes between the shell and the floor caulked? Apparently the person caulking it stopped doing that job and wasn't replaced until a year later when Airstream started getting complaints of the floor rotting away on trailers less then 1 year old.
Yup just like that. Early 2000s are the Naughtiest for a reason.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:37 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
Quality vs Quantity

We came from a 2021 NuCamp Tab400. It was our first camper. We had looked at every dealership in and around Central Ohio before we purchased it in 2020. We couldn't get use to the way every camper felt chincy until we stepped into the NuCamp products (At the time, we did not want to spend the money on an Airstream, since we weren't sure we'd really like camping.) On the other brands, the walls feel like you're going to push through by putting a small amount of pressure. The furniture don't feel sturdy. The wreaking perfume of formaldehyde and other chemicals that burn your nostrils in the box campers upon entry on lot aren't present in the NuCamp or Airstreams (Why is that?)

Fast forward to this spring when we decided to look for a slightly bigger camper. We love the quality of the NuCamp, but they just don't make anything in the size range we would like. If they did, we would have stayed with NuCamp. The only other option was Airstream. Airstream was our first choice in campers, but we just didn't like the basecamp layout - we don't want to make our bed every day, and we also like a separate dinette.

We started out looking at a Caravel and a Bambi 19, but didn't want to give up sleeping space. So, we looked at the Caravel 22, but then decided we would like to have dual axles. That meant the Flying Cloud for us. The quality was the same, that we noticed, going from Bambi to Caravel to Flying Cloud, so that wasn't an issue. The 2023 Airstreams now have the composite (plastic) floors like our NuCamp had, so we don't have to worry about the floor rotting still!

All that said, if we every change campers again, and *if* NuCamp is in the business of making different sized campers than they currently make, they could pull us from Airstream with the right floorplan.

Both of these companies offer better-built campers than the other, but you don't get "as much." Airstream nor NuCamp offer the square footage or pricepoints that the box campers do. I can see why people buy them. Many of the campgrounds seem to have a lot of weekend mega-campers with one or 2 folks. That's OK, it's their thing. But I'm pretty darn sure the NuCamps and Airstreams will outlast them and hold their value much longer. If I had a family of 9, I may have considered a bigger camper (or a separate camper for me to get away! HA!), but for a couple with a small dog, in our current situation that camps no longer than 2 weeks at a time, this just makes sense.
NutmegsCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:39 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
Yup just like that. Early 2000s are the Naughtiest for a reason.
Naughtiest or nastiest? I don't know if this comment should be in the "twin vs queen" thread or not!
NutmegsCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:54 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
We just traded our 27FB Flying cloud in on a new Entegra Class C. The Airstream served us well for 6 years and we enjoyed it thoroughly. At this point in our lives we wanted more comfort and simplicity. All the hitching, leveling, stabilizing, awning wands, generator, hitch grease on my pant leg, and lack of storage have been replaced with pull in, push three buttons to level, extend the slide, start the generator, done.
We’ve had a 5er and two Class As prior to the AS and found AS quality to be better, but not perfect. And to be honest, the AS seating was not what I would call comfortable compared to the others.
We have fond memories of our time in Aluminum, but moving forward a motorized unit just seems right for us.
I hope you guys are not offended if I wave at you anyway.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:08 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
We came from a 2021 NuCamp Tab400. It was our first camper. We had looked at every dealership in and around Central Ohio before we purchased it in 2020. We couldn't get use to the way every camper felt chincy until we stepped into the NuCamp products (At the time, we did not want to spend the money on an Airstream, since we weren't sure we'd really like camping.) On the other brands, the walls feel like you're going to push through by putting a small amount of pressure. The furniture don't feel sturdy. The wreaking perfume of formaldehyde and other chemicals that burn your nostrils in the box campers upon entry on lot aren't present in the NuCamp or Airstreams (Why is that?)

Fast forward to this spring when we decided to look for a slightly bigger camper. We love the quality of the NuCamp, but they just don't make anything in the size range we would like. If they did, we would have stayed with NuCamp. The only other option was Airstream. Airstream was our first choice in campers, but we just didn't like the basecamp layout - we don't want to make our bed every day, and we also like a separate dinette.

We started out looking at a Caravel and a Bambi 19, but didn't want to give up sleeping space. So, we looked at the Caravel 22, but then decided we would like to have dual axles. That meant the Flying Cloud for us. The quality was the same, that we noticed, going from Bambi to Caravel to Flying Cloud, so that wasn't an issue. The 2023 Airstreams now have the composite (plastic) floors like our NuCamp had, so we don't have to worry about the floor rotting still!

All that said, if we every change campers again, and *if* NuCamp is in the business of making different sized campers than they currently make, they could pull us from Airstream with the right floorplan.

Both of these companies offer better-built campers than the other, but you don't get "as much." Airstream nor NuCamp offer the square footage or pricepoints that the box campers do. I can see why people buy them. Many of the campgrounds seem to have a lot of weekend mega-campers with one or 2 folks. That's OK, it's their thing. But I'm pretty darn sure the NuCamps and Airstreams will outlast them and hold their value much longer. If I had a family of 9, I may have considered a bigger camper (or a separate camper for me to get away! HA!), but for a couple with a small dog, in our current situation that camps no longer than 2 weeks at a time, this just makes sense.
That’s kinda where we are right now. We have been touring all over Canada with our T@B400 and it’s fine for what we need. And it’s been completely glitch free. But in a few years we may get electric bikes and with our present combo that’s not going to work. So we are looking at both an airstream and an escape that might work. Either way we’ll wait till we get our Tesla Cybertruck which is a few years away. Until then T@B Tesla combo is a good fit for us. Good to know you were happy with the fit and finish after your T@B experience though.

Here’s a little nostalgia for you. This is our 2022

Cheers.

Downsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:23 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Thank you all!!!! This has been a real enjoyable conversation. I have learned so much as people explained the pros and cons of Airstream as well as other brands.
Tin Hut is now 16 years old and I just told my husband we need to get up on that roof. Both vents need replacing. The electric one just quit. Oh!!!!! And the back window came loose. So that must have flapped all the way home.
What's tuff, is the caulking is so solid up there and I would hate to disturb it.
And of course I want to move to hard floor, but hubby says what's the problem? Well, he isn't the one who cleans.
Anyway, this has been very enlightening and fun.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:09 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
With enough chemicals that caulking will come off eventually and it's so satisfying.

Plenty of scrapers of every kind. Variety of chemicals, gloves, sun or heat gun, face mask and a total disregard for manicure.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote