Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2002, 08:04 AM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Hail Damage

I just posted some pictures in the photo gallery of an Airstream that I saw in my dealer's lot when my Safari was delivered. Just about a year ago a large spring storm passed through the metropolitan St. Louis area dropping various sized hail. Thankfully my trailer was still up in Jackson Center so I escaped the damage. But northern St. Louis County got hammered, my dealer included with stones the size of softballs. You will note that the hail even knocked out some windows on this particular trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I don't know about anybody else, but your pictures made me sick to my stomach. I just thanked God I live in Oregon, where we don't get the intense thunderstorms the midwest receives. My wife and I are new to Airstreams and have just an entry level trailer, but I love it so much that if that were to happen, even to our little one...well I just don't know what I would do. (Probably cry!)

Michael
78 Argosy Minuet
mwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 09:12 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Michael,
Those pictures were just one of the trailers that had been brought to the dealer for damage estimates. There were three others in similar shape. What was also distressing was the new trailers on the lot with heavy damage. One was a new Safari exactly like mine, the one I looked at before placing my order. At the radius of the upper corner in the rear it had a dent that looked like a volleyball hit it. Apparently hail stone hits in the end cap areas cause greater damage due to the tension that the aluminum is under due to the bending of the skin.

As a follow up I attended a state rally in October. One trailer up from me was owned by a fellow from Texas with a Safari just like mine. He told me that he bought it from my local dealer who had brought trailers to the International that summer. I walked to the rear and saw a small dent in the exact same place that the trailer in St. Louis which was severly dented by the hail storm. As it ended up it was the same trailer. The fellow bought it with the hail damage. He pulled the dent out with a toilet plunger. Not perfect but quite a bit better than how it looked earlier.

I have my trailer in inside storage for the winter but will be pulling it out next weekend. Unfortunately the inside storage is not meant for in and out and is 50 miles from my home, so outside is my only option. I hold my breath everytime the severe storms roll through. That's a major reason why I bought replacement value insurance from Foremost. At least I'm protected for the first 10 years if I ever get hammered.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 12:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

hail damage

We had our brush with hail last summer. On the way back to Calgary, Alberta from Ohio (where we just picked up our 60 Overlander) we were nailed by hail in South Dakota. Heart breaking to see your newly aquired Airstream that has survived 41 years in relatively good shape be riddled with dents a week after it is in your hands.

We continued to use it last season and sold it in the fall when our current TradeWind became available.
Attached Images

VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 09:24 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Jack,

One of the things different between Argosys and Airstreams is that the domes are made of steel. It must have been a cost reducing idea that obviously didn't last too long. The reason I bring this up is that our little trailer would never look as bad as the one in your picture due to the strenth of the material. THANK GOD!!!

Michael
78 Argosy Minuet
mwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote