Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2003, 12:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Grey water wagon storage?

Seeing the thread on storage of eq. bars prompted me to wonder how everyone hauls their blue roll around grey water carts? I see it being a problem, I thought we'd just haul it in a plastic bag in the tub, but I could be wrong...any alternate methods of transport?
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:26 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
We carried ours in the bed of the truck, but I have seen some strange methods. Roof rack, strapped to the rear ladder, on the roof of the rig, on the roof of the toad.

If in the tub works for you, great.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Grey water wagon storage?

I have always found the easiest method to carry the tank is to place it on an old throw rug just inside of the coach's entry door. When parking if I don't need it, I just roll it under the trailer behind the entrance step. A few strategically located velcro tabs keep the tank secured to the throw rug, and the backing on the throw rug keeps it from sliding on the vinyl floor.

The one reservation that I would have about carrying one in the bathtub or shower area would be the potential for abrading the surface. This is of particular concern if your fixtures have been refinished as the coatings are often less resistent to scratching than the original surface.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:31 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, here is where I am a bit at a loss, so bear with me....

The legacy Airstreams don't have gray water tanks?

Our 70's Lark didn't either, but we just let the sink water drain out. Is that a problem in some parts? Are there new rules that force you all to carry tanks with you?

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Health Matters...

A/S didn't start putting grey water tanks in until 1973, so prior to that it was either let it run on the ground or dig a gopher hole.
Health departments frown on that anymore. Many parks don't even want to see you throwing your old dishwater in the weeds or fire pits either...
I may rig up a rack to carry it under and just aft of the tongue, should be safe there, if anything is going to drag I'd imagine the W.D. bars would hit first...hmmm...what would Wile E. Coyote do?...
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 06:28 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
roof rack

jason,

got a roof rack on the tahoe?

other wise the bath tub might work, it is lined with metal right?

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Silvertwinkie, in some parts of the country, particularly out West, they encourage you to dump grey water on the ground. In other parts it is not "PC" to dump grey water on the ground, but it's ok to wash your vehicles outside in the yard though. I would imagine that at a campground if you had a constant stream of campers dumping 20-30 gallons of grey, per day, in the same spot for months, that you would end up with a stinking mess. Hence, we now have campsites with "full hookups". I always bring the "Blue Tank" if I am not sure about the sewer hookup situation. Both times when I attempted to get away without using it, tent campers set up camp right at the back of the coach.

At some AS rallys they suggest that you use a sewer connection cap with a garden hose connection on it. That way you can sneak the grey under the trailer. It also does not look as obvious if you just layed the regular 3" sewer line on the ground for all to see.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:11 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The more I read this thread, the more I realize it's been a while since the late 70s- mid 80s since I camped with the family. Back then you could eat lead paint for breakfast!

I can see the point, but boy, what did we do back in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s when one could dump their grey tank and not be scorned.

My how the world changes every few years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a tree hugger and a tree hugger hater, but we are only talking grey water here. If we gotta add a hose to lessen the washout, I guess that's what has to happen, but it is sad how we have to watch out all the time for the little things.

Eric
Old 04-25-2003, 07:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
I've also heard of people who use a bucket under the outlet...a bucket with little holes in the bottom. Ok, I'll admit it - I dump the greywater on the ground. I only use the water for dishes and brushing teeth though - so I'm not taking 20-30 gallons a day. More like 2 or 3. Most of my camping isn't done close to other campers. The few times I was, I put a pot under the outlet and then tossed the water in the woods.
64GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 07:59 AM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
We have members in our unit that use the bucket. The bucket has a line of small holes drilled just underr the ribbing that runs arount the upper end of the bucket. the holes are not visible from the outside, and the bucket will contain water. It is a ruse, since the holes allow the water to run down the outside of the bucket , but if they see you using an always empty bucket they might get curious.

The other tem that I have heard used is DID (dump in dark) to rid your unit of grey (wash) water.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:27 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Dang, you guys.....

are corrupting me. Now I wish I hadn't spent the bux on that blue tank!

*Pick, looking for a 5 gallon pail to punch holes in...*

Silvertwinkie: Ya, the good old days! Lead paint for breakfast, with nice cup of carbon tet!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 04-25-2003, 01:19 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Dang, you guys.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick

Silvertwinkie: Ya, the good old days! Lead paint for breakfast, with nice cup of carbon tet!

Eric
Old 04-25-2003, 01:43 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Pick Said:

Quote:
in some parts of the country, particularly out West, they encourage you to dump grey water on the ground.
Boy, they sure don't encourage that anywhere in California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho or Montana. At every Forest Service, BLM, State or National Park campground I've been to in those states, they specifically state you should not do that. Even tent campers are told not to throw dish water on ground.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:29 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Rick, I'll try and find the posts from another RV forum where folks state that they have been encouraged to dump grey on the ground, or use it to water plants at the parks or campgrounds.

My brother lives outside of Tucson and tells me they use grey water on their landscaping, and tells me everyone is encouraged to do so, in their locale.

From a thread at the irv2.com website under Boodocking:

Quote:
Last summer up at the cinders riding area outside of Flagstaff, AZ the forest rangers were driving through camps and actually requesting the RVer's to their dump grey water on the closest Ponderosa pines. Between the drought and bark beetles, any source moisture may be their only hope of survival. Maybe grey water can actually help the environment. It is all about perspective. Kentic energy can not be expended without some environment impact-both negative and positive.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 04-25-2003, 06:17 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Pick

It makes a lot of sense. Why waste the water, especially when the west is so dry. I just haven't run across it yet. Maybe I will this summer in the California mountains, and outside of Flagstaff. Even at Joshua Tree in the southern California desert where a severe drought is in 4th or 5th year, the camp host tells all, even tenters to not dump grey water on ground.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:24 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

why not dump grey water wherever you want?

There are good reasons not to dump greywater wherever you want. Whoever that Forest Service person was that said it was o.k., should be re-educated in why the heck we have to reserve natural areas in the first place.

Not all plants need us to water them, even in a drought. Many plants can be overwatered and the roots start to rot, if not watered correctly, and at the right time. Acid-loving plants and plants that prefer to have a dry season can have tough time with greywater. We generally aren't botanists, so a good rule of thumb is to not dump water near native vegetation, or onto soil that doesn't percolate well.

Greywater is hazardous to our health, just as it is to plants and natural waterways. You wouldn't want to drink greywater. Most people use soaps and detergents that make us sick and are harmful to plants and animals as well. There are also nasty microbials that live in the pipes. Some jurisdictions have laws against kitchen sinks being included in greywater, due the the microbials like fecal coliform.

Greywater shouldn't be dumped arbitrarily.

Christopher
gerbermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:47 PM   #17

from the gardenweb:

"It is standard not to use grey water on carrots and lettuces. General advice is to use it on ornamentals first and on veggies as a last measure and never to let it splash on veggies you eat raw or lightly cooked. It should also not be sprayed as airborne particles can spread disease.
There is difference between using animal manures on vegetables and grey water."

Plus, everything you wanted to know about grey water.... and more: Grey Water Central
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote