Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #21
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
I think it's probably "Horses for courses."

For years, I managed to get by putting beer bottles in a nice cool trout stream to chill. But sometimes colder is better, so then I got an ice chest. Over time, two large bears smashed it open and ate the contents, and a guy hit it with a car once (no, don't ask!), but no real damage. But it did get "ugly" as the years wore on and the battle scars mounted, and so I bought a new one. Use it once or twice a year. It's gettin' "ugly" also.

Yeti is s'posed to be bear proof (though I doubt it - I've watched bears bend open or "peel" car doors in Yosemite) and it looks nice. But I suspect that over time it'll get "ugly" just the same.

And moslty an ice chest doesn't travel with me because of the room it would take up in the truck bed (probably could put the generator in it though) and because I get enough ice from the 'stream's fridge for my adult beverages and iced tea ... so I don't think I'll be getting one. I am with 2air here - I carry a little fold-up soft side thing to get stuff from market to 'stream fridge. But if I WERE gonna' get one, this guy looks real nice, no doubt about it.

Dang, maybe I just need a bigger truck or a bigger 'stream!
Bear Proof:

SHane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yes, but ... these guys aren't doing what I saw bears do to my cooler twice: wind up and whack the lid from the side just as hard as they could - both times sent full (~70lb?) coolers flying 8-10' ... maybe the Yeti would stand up to that, maybe not. I'd bet not. But I am impressed with how much abuse it took, and how it took the weight load. And no matter what, it's a "cool cooler!" It's just a solution for no problem that I have.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
yep those 1/2 pint fridges in tiny'streams are a challenge. 2air'
Sadly you have just described our twenty five footers fridge.

Coupled with our favorite pastimes of boondocking in the desert all summer and we enjoy replacing our fluids one 12 ounce bottle at a time. An ice cooler is a critical piece of survival equipment.

Hauling the ice chests is no problem as two of them a generator, gas, firewood and other odds and ends all fit in the back of the truck.

Plastic Colemans have about a two year effective life before their ice holding ability plummets.

It seems though that a Yeti holds ice only a bit better than a fresh Coleman. Plastic Colemans are cheap. (Wait for the Big 5 yearly sale.) Seems using and then recycling the Colemans would be the way to go.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote