Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2019, 05:15 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Flying Cloud Versus International Signature

Hi All,

We have decided on a 25RB Twin with dual ACs, Solar, and Awning Package.

We like the decor in both a FC and a Signature.

Other than interior trim, are there any other difference between the two models?

Thanks
Dan
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
The price.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I couldn't tell a structural difference.
The deal breaker for me was the translucent cabinet door panels on the International to me looked cheap.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Actually we liked the FC better because of the cabinet doors. The flip out doors allow easier access the the cabinet interior than the sliders. Like M.D. we also weren’t crazy about the look translucent doors. But to each his own.

The FC has (at least the 2017 model year) the “important “ upgrades over the Sport like the stainless rock guards, never lube hubs, rear bumper, etc.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
International VS FC

We just made the change from our 2017 International Serenity 23D (purchased new from Colonial Airstream) to A 2019 FC 25 RB Twin (purchased new form Out of Doors Mart). Flying Cloud wins for us because of one factor. No power awning. We would have purchased another International but they only come with the dreaded power awning. No thanks. We actually like the cabinet doors better in the FC. The interior is fine with us but we will miss the nice porch light over the door on the International.

Both Colonial and Out of Doors Mart were great to work with. Out of Doors Mart is just 3 hours away and Colonial is 15 hours away.

Our 2017 Serenity 23D sold to the first responder to our ad on RV Trader. She picked it up yesterday. Surprisingly, we posted a "Featured" ad on Airforums and had no responses. We had several calls from RV Trader including 3 back up offers if the lady did not follow though. We sold it for $3000.00 less than we paid for it brand new. Airstreams hold there value.

Good luck with your new AS whichever one you chose.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We also prefer the look and usability of the overhead cabinet doors in the Flying Cloud. We think that those sliding plastic doors look cheap even though they come in the higher-priced model. We would also prefer to steer clear of the new power main awning. There have been too many horror stories with these awnings.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Larkspur , Colorado
Flying Cloud - International - GlobeTrotter.pdf

When we were looking at our GlobeTrotter, the folks at Airstream sent me this great comparison. Hope it helps.
Dmmdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Can't get past the interior trim....thumbs down on the cabinet inserts..
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmmdtm View Post
Attachment 340523

When we were looking at our GlobeTrotter, the folks at Airstream sent me this great comparison. Hope it helps.
Thanks tons!

this is exactly what I was looking for.

Dan
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
fc vs is

We've had both. Went with the Int Serenity because of the upper cabinet doors. I'm 6'3" tall. With FC cabinet doors flipped up I would run into them with my head and feared hitting an eye. The sliders in Int were better for us for this reason.
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We like the Oriental flavor of the Serenity. Contrary to some of the posters, we think the Shoji Screen look of the sliding cabinet doors is much more attractive than laminate, with potentially troublesome hinges. What Airstream considers upgrades is a bit meaningless since the trailers are electrically and mechanically the same. If you like the look and can pay for a higher-level trim, just buy it.
I had no idea the shell was reinforced for the Intl now, to handle the power awning. But I would never want the power awning.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
We love our 2018 25FBT International serenity. Fits our sophisticated mid century style . It all comes down to personal style preference. Never liked oak but I’ve always like cherry. We also love the Electric Awnings. No problem By what you love. And it will be your dream Airstream. Buy at the best price point and have Ultimate Airstream make it your dream Airstream. No bad choice . Congratulations on purchasing an Airstream . We also had Ultimate Airstream give us a Corian package and upgrade all of our upholstery making our Airstream our dream Airstream
See you down the road. Safe travels’s
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
We had an International Signature 23D for 10 years. Last year, we changed to a FC 30RB. We would have preferred another International, but we got a good deal on this one. I really miss our International features: deeper cabinet above the galley, backlit uppers with sliding doors, premium faucets (kitchen and bathroom), under cabinet lighting (FC has cheap white plastic lights), ceiling puck lights in bathroom (again, the FC has cheap white plastic lights), rounded upper cabinets. After our first few weeks in the FC, we both had scraped bleeding hands every morning because when we would roll over in bed, we'd whack our hands on those upper cabinet doors! Nevertheless, we are getting used to our FC. We are very glad that we got the lightest upholstery (Sandpiper). Otherwise, we couldn't live with all the brown tones. By adding mid-century accents and lighting, it now has a Danish-modern look.

The 25RBT has a good layout. In the end, you'll enjoy whatever one you get. Twin beds give you much more sleeping space, better access to the upper cabinet, and floor space.

Have fun on your first adventure!

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
We live full time in our 30ft International Serenity. We love it. And we have never had a minute of trouble with the electric awning. We had owned a '57 Vintage and knew we did not want to ever wrestle with a manual awning again. I mean that literally. Neither one of us wanted to deal with that huge awning on the 30ft unless it was fully electric. We also like the fact that there are lovely windows above the dinette in the Serenity and Signature. The FC has cabinets, I believe. Didn't want to stand up and hit our heads. Whichever you choose, I wish you blue skies and safe travels. See you on the road!
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
I loved my last AS (an International Signature) but I couldn't stand the translucent cabinets doors. Not only can visitors see what's in your cabinets, mine would jump the tracks. One day I noticed a horizontal streak about 1.5" wide that ran the length of the cabinets. I thought something in the cabinet was scraping the door during travel and/or as I was opening/closing them but there was no discernible scratch when I ran my fingers over it. For the heck of it, I tried a mild cleaner but with no effect. I never did discover how it happened or how to eliminate it since I found my dream AS floor plan (if only it also came in a 23' or 25' length) and bought the FC. I second Bolerama's sentiment about the 'cheap white plastic lights'. I'm also making adjustments to my FC to improve the quality to the International's standard (at a minimum).
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
In 2015, we decided time was right for buying our first trailer, and we considered/wanted only an Airstream. We had seen a couple models the year or two before in Seattle's RV show and compared to all the other trailers, the AS was beautiful.

So we headed to the Covington AS dealer south of Seattle and got to see inside the various models. After seeing something like 5 or 6 of them, I said something like 'gee, all of what we have seen all seem the same with light brown cushions, cabinets having about the same color doors, and aren't there other interior options - these all seem a little boring'. Then, looking at the brochures seeing photos of the other models, like the International, I realized the only models in the dealer lot was the FC, but we liked the one seen at the RV show. We told the salesperson our pref was either a 25' or 27' front twin, espresso, and we thought it might be months before we could get one.

A day or two later the salesperson said she checked the new shipment they just received, and one was exactly what we wanted-come on down. We did a day later, and bought it on a Sunday, towed it home on Thursday!

We have no regrets with our purchase and definitely prefer the Serenity interior package and lighting options and feel more than the FC. We haven't had power awning issues, other than resetting the controls once.

We are very pleased with the front twins for a number of reasons, one being having the outside storage compartments is very nice.

Happy travels!
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Battle Ground , Washington
We just took possession of our 30’ RB International Signature yesterday and couldn’t be more pleased. The power awning does have a manual crank in case there is trouble but with an awning that large, it’s nice to have it electric.
So much storage space! As far as the translucent sliders, I agree, they are plain and boring. I am applying an aspen leave film to all the sliders today so it gives some textural interest when the puck lights are on and you can see less of what is inside the cabinet. There are 23 windows, including the skylights, and that alone is wonderful. AS does a fantastic job creating an environment where they bring the outside into the interior space by considering the natural light. The deal breakers on the FC for me, were the somewhat bland interior and the fabric they used on the upholstery. I do like the cabinet doors though. The Serenity is beautiful too but the polished light cabinetry was a bit too glossy for me. I’m sorry to see the Signature line being phased out but I am happy there are enough options for people to select the AS right for them. Wish there were more customizable options but that’s what we will be doing this weekend. And trying to install a pecan tabletop in the dinette soon!
forestgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Congratulations and have a blast with your new AS. Most importantly, you got what suited you the most. Now go camping.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
there have been several posts about this question in the past. I actually thought the FC cabinets were same size as the International models, but was told they were actually smaller... so, me being me, I went to the dealer and measured them; yep, the International cabinets are a few inches deeper then the FC models....we still like the FC cabinets for access with the lift door especially for getting larger things in/out; the slider can become a bit of an obstacle to storing somethings for access. But, may folks like the sliders...

As for the other differences, of course, the Corian counter tops and some finish areas are nicer, but not enough for the $$$ difference of the International...IMHO…you can always upgrade the countertops, maybe even put in a newer cook top and a square sink, like the Globetrotter offers!

Main thing is, get something and start camping...if your like a lot of us, you will likely want to upgrade to a different model in a few years anyway!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Livermore , California
We prefer lighter wood so for us it was between the FC and the International Serenity. I was convinced the translucent doors on the International were stupid, but then we found a deal on a Serenity and went for it. What we've found is that having the cabinet lights on for mood lighting is much softer than the overhead lights. In fact we never turn on the latter unless we're cleaning or something. I'm glad we found the Serenity.
MotoMannequin is offline   Reply With Quote