Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
First Time Two with New TV and new AS

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	342311
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post

So not familiar with entering a new topic. Photo on previous note is our new TV, F250, 4x2, 6.2L, 3.73 rear axle, crew cab. We purchased the triple axle, 1989 34 ft AS for our winter home in LYH in Melbourne, FL. Unfortunately for me my DW asked me to pick it up and bring it home for some DIY in our driveway. Towed from Melbourne to Jacksonville on ball without WD, or anti-sway. At 60 MPH, made me wonder if I needed a WD, or anti-sway device. We are writing this note to share some experiences that may generate comments, or advice? Only challenge was when we took her off the highway for gas or food. Flying ďJĒ a dedicated island for RVís. Guess what we found? A class A, with no hoses connected and the owner sitting at the dinette. Fortunately, he did not pull a weapon, when we asked him to move to a parking spot. Another fuel stop and someone purposely blocked our path to the front pump at an end island. Similar maneuvering problem when we stopped for fast food. We did not check Google maps for available large parking lots nearby. Almost got into a backup and turn around situation in the middle of traffic. Survived all that and when the WD, anti-sway from Blue Ox was installed, we found the bars very close to the ground. The frustrating part was that for $1,000 in equipment, there was only a slight improvement in anti-sway.! We plan to take her to the local Campers Inn soon and see if it is an adjustment problem, or bar problem (we have 1500 lb bars based on blue ox rep recommendation). Campers Inn suggested 1000 lb bars may provide better ride and get the bars higher off the ground. Previous AS experience, we have been towing a 26 foot 1964 Overlander with an F150 with 4.6L, 4x2, super cab with 5.5 foot bed for about two years and about 15,000 miles. This drive with new TV and AS provided the following observations: 1. F250 gasser always downshift at least one gear on overpasses in Florida, which is same as F150, & shorter trailer,Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	342313 2. When towing, the ride is marginally better in the F250, Gas mileage is between 10 & 11 MPG at 60/65 MPH. Without trailer we had 15/16 MPG as we broke in the engine driving a variety of speeds, 3. Triple axles towed well, 4. I saw two AS heading opposite direction and flashed lights and honked and did not receive acknowledgement??
Old 06-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
You may want to use tongue jack to raise trailer tongue and truck before tightening WD bars. As I recall Blue Ox recommends hooking 8 links from the loose end. On my F150 I found I needed to use 10th link and on my F250 I use the 9th link.

BTW - I had a similar situation waiting for the outside lane at Sam's club...too long to relate, but realize there are some very self-centered folks w/very dirty mouths in the world...

Good luck with your new setup!
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
34 triple from LYH

Was the trailer you purchased at the end of Midlane on right hand side of street. If so, are you going back to that same spot? We are at 63 Midlane from Dec.-April. Would love tp see your 34 triple. If it is the one I am thinking of it is a nice one. Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Was the trailer you purchased at the end of Midlane on right hand side of street. If so, are you going back to that same spot? We are at 63 Midlane from Dec.-April. Would love tp see your 34 triple. If it is the one I am thinking of it is a nice one. Happy travels.

We are at #521 in October
Old 06-11-2019, 04:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI . . . you guys know that you can share sensitive info like street addresses via the Private Message system here? ["PM"] Click on a user name and then select that PM option in the drop-down menu.

Good luck,

Peter

FYI/FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:35 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
So not familiar with entering a new topic. Photo on previous note is our new TV, F250, 4x2, 6.2L, 3.73 rear axle, crew cab. We purchased the triple axle, 1989 34 ft AS for our winter home in LYH in Melbourne, FL. Unfortunately for me my DW asked me to pick it up and bring it home for some DIY in our driveway. Towed from Melbourne to Jacksonville on ball without WD, or anti-sway. At 60 MPH, made me wonder if I needed a WD, or anti-sway device. We are writing this note to share some experiences that may generate comments, or advice? Only challenge was when we took her off the highway for gas or food. Flying ďJĒ a dedicated island for RVís. Guess what we found? A class A, with no hoses connected and the owner sitting at the dinette. Fortunately, he did not pull a weapon, when we asked him to move to a parking spot. Another fuel stop and someone purposely blocked our path to the front pump at an end island. Similar maneuvering problem when we stopped for fast food. We did not check Google maps for available large parking lots nearby. Almost got into a backup and turn around situation in the middle of traffic. Survived all that and when the WD, anti-sway from Blue Ox was installed, we found the bars very close to the ground. The frustrating part was that for $1,000 in equipment, there was only a slight improvement in anti-sway.! We plan to take her to the local Campers Inn soon and see if it is an adjustment problem, or bar problem (we have 1500 lb bars based on blue ox rep recommendation). Campers Inn suggested 1000 lb bars may provide better ride and get the bars higher off the ground. Previous AS experience, we have been towing a 26 foot 1964 Overlander with an F150 with 4.6L, 4x2, super cab with 5.5 foot bed for about two years and about 15,000 miles. This drive with new TV and AS provided the following observations: 1. F250 gasser always downshift at least one gear on overpasses in Florida, which is same as F150, & shorter trailer,Attachment 342313 2. When towing, the ride is marginally better in the F250, Gas mileage is between 10 & 11 MPG at 60/65 MPH. Without trailer we had 15/16 MPG as we broke in the engine driving a variety of speeds, 3. Triple axles towed well, 4. I saw two AS heading opposite direction and flashed lights and honked and did not receive acknowledgement??
Unfortunately, and all too often, we experience similar situations at dedicated RV fuel islands: non-RVs/TVs using the lane, or folks who've parked their rigs in the lane and decided it was okay to go into the store for 15-20 minutes. And when there is no dedicated RV fueling island, jockeying for the end pump islands and getting stares by people who feel we shouldn't be there....
Old 06-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI . . . you guys know that you can share sensitive info like street addresses via the Private Message system here? ["PM"] Click on a user name and then select that PM option in the drop-down menu.

Good luck,

Peter

FYI/FWIW
Thank you for info. I try to learn something new everyday. Today, this is it!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I often use the truck isle instead of the RV since I load diesel. They have the same problem with drivers that park and go inside. It is everywhere. I usually put fuel in the truck "unhitched" then go hitch up and drive off to eliminate the fuel stop.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We love truck stops and use the big truck lanes. You have to walk in and pay but itís nice that they have high flow pumps and bulk DEF.
itís common courtesy to pull out of the fuel lane and return inside for change or what ever you need, allowing the guy behind you to start fueling. Try out the truck lanes, the big rigs donít seem to mind since our tank fills quickly anyways vs their monster 100 gallon tanks

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote